Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2016, EX-L with just over 42k on it. I’ve been noticing a weird noise coming from the front drivers corner and it’s gradually gotten more noticeable. I was finally able to catch the noise on video and on the video it sounds more metal on metal than it does in the car. In the car sounds more like a rubbing or vibrating Noise. I’ve looked and I can’t find anything rubbing. Tires are OEM size, not oversized. It’s happened at slower speeds, faster speeds, going straight, slight turn left or right. It does seem to happen when the accelerator is pressed in normal cruising conditions. Haven’t noticed it during acceleration or when it is not pressed down. I have noticed that when it happens and I release the gas pedal, it goes away. Anyone experience this noise before? Thanks all for the help.

Link to video - https://vimeo.com/user121416216/review/448012347/34a80980c3

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think we are dealing with a similar problem with our 2016 pilot, but we are close to 80K miles. The link to your video is not working. Can you please re-post? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took it to my mechanic and he thinks it is transmission related. Since we’re still under the powertrain warranty, he suggested taking it to the dealership and have them look at it. So i took it to the dealership and they replaced some clips on the radiator cover. That helped a little, but still had a noticeable noise. I took it back and they added foam insulation around the battery and a few other places. But I can still hear the noise. After a few hours of arguing with a service rep at the dealership, I was FINALLY able to get the tech working on the issue to go for a ride. He said that it was the VCM kicking in. I told him I’ve never heard it that loud and he said it was totally normal. I kind of questioned it but they insisted it was. Since we’re still under warranty, I made sure they documented everything that was done and noted that I brought the car in prior to the warranty being expired, and VCM is covered under warranty. So right now, that is where I am at. Just keeping a close eye on it and will jump on it if it causes an issue.

I’ll see if I can get the video uploaded again.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
If it is the VCM making the noise, you would not notice it when the car is cold and not fully warmed up or under acceleration if warmed up to normal temp. If it turns out to be the VCM, you can get a VCM disabling device which is an easy plug and play install as a lot of members have done here. The only downside is a very slight decrease in fuel economy but you will have a smoother, cleaner running engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I looked online and they’re not too expensive, $100ish. Might be worth an experiment. Cheaper than a diagnostic fee at the dealership. I still question that it is the VCM though. It definitely gets louder when the car is hot and has been driven a lot during the day. The clips did help some, but there is still something causing the noise and causing a vibration in the engine area. At least I have everything documented at the dealership so if one of those craps out, maybe I’ll have some weight against a complaint and have it be covered under warranty.

P.S. - Are you all able to view the video? When I clicked on it, it played fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So if it is the VCM making the noise, why all of a sudden years after driving the vehicle? How could it be "normal" if the noise wasn't there until now?

Our dealer said that it was driveshaft bearings which were replaced but 5 minutes after leaving the dealer the car made the noise again. After returning to them again, they were unable to diagnose anything with their driving trips. I need to bring it back once the noise is louder or more frequent so they can hear it in person not just on my video. Frustrated but at least it is documented before my service agreement expires.

Unfortunately I am getting an error message when I click your link to vimeo. My video will not upload to this comment, probably because the file size is too large.

Thanks to all who are offering their help!

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
So if it is the VCM making the noise, why all of a sudden years after driving the vehicle? How could it be "normal" if the noise wasn't there until now?

Our dealer said that it was driveshaft bearings which were replaced but 5 minutes after leaving the dealer the car made the noise again. After returning to them again, they were unable to diagnose anything with their driving trips. I need to bring it back once the noise is louder or more frequent so they can hear it in person not just on my video. Frustrated but at least it is documented before my service agreement expires.

Unfortunately I am getting an error message when I click your link to vimeo. My video will not upload to this comment, probably because the file size is too large.

Thanks to all who are offering their help!
VCM usually causes issues after a while and not when it's new. That's why many people recommend purchasing a VCM muzzler when your car is new so you don't have any issues later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I wonder too why it “all of a sudden” started making noise. I don’t really trust what the dealership said, but at the moment I’m kind if stuck with what hey said. If it does get worse, I may pick up a muzzler to see if that resolves the issue.

New link to the video, see if this works.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Is that noise happening at random, or when coasting or accelerating? Any trend to when it shows up?

(new link works for me)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most notably it happens when it’s hot out, and/or car has been running a fair amount. This video was after about an hour of running errands (making 3-4 stops on a pretty warm day). Usually I have a slight pressure on the gas pedal and am cruising. The video was at around 25-30MPH, and RPM’s were 1700ish. I’ve been able to duplicate it at 40-45 MPH (and even faster), slight pressure on the gas pedal and the RPM’s again 1700ish.

·
Registered
813 Posts
You could try driving in "L" mode. See if that keeps the revs up and VCM (hopefully) off. If the sound goes away, then it's probably the same issue that @Nail Grease had. His transmission was having issues when the VCM would turn on.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EXL Navi.
13 Posts
I wonder if it’s a defective engine mount or more than one.
On our 2018 Pilot we started to get light vibration at one year and 15,000 km, from up front. Like rougher pavement noise. Not as bad as your video. The slight vibration stayed even on very smooth new pavement. It was also accompanied by a chirping noise up front when sitting at red lights. The chirp always happened in Drive. When in Park it was not chirping.
The dealer diagnosed a bad front engine mount. Replaced under warranty. No more vibration and no more chirping.
I assume due to the broken mount that we were feeling the VCM at work. The mounts supposed to cancel that out. Maybe this is what you feel.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I wonder if it’s a defective engine mount or more than one.
On our 2018 Pilot we started to get light vibration at one year and 15,000 km, from up front. Like rougher pavement noise. Not as bad as your video. The slight vibration stayed even on very smooth new pavement. It was also accompanied by a chirping noise up front when sitting at red lights. The chirp always happened in Drive. When in Park it was not chirping.
The dealer diagnosed a bad front engine mount. Replaced under warranty. No more vibration and no more chirping.
I assume due to the broken mount that we were feeling the VCM at work. The mounts supposed to cancel that out. Maybe this is what you feel.
Oh this is the exact thing that happened to MotorTrend's Pilot. Seems like either their dealer was stupid or nobody knew what caused the issue.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L
18 Posts
Seeing so many issues caused by the VCM, I'm worried about my new Pilot (2020 EXL, 600 miles only) now, and have the urge to install one ASAP, lol...
I wonder if there're any ill effects by using such aftermarket device, especially in long term?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Seeing so many issues caused by the VCM, I'm worried about my new Pilot (2020 EXL, 600 miles only) now, and have the urge to install one ASAP, lol...
I wonder if there're any ill effects by using such aftermarket device, especially in long term?
You'll end up spending 5 WHOLE DOLLARS extra on gas after a while.

Jokes aside, the only "downsides" are that you'll lose 1-2 MPG, and maybe a little bit more engine noise, but these are nothing compared to the advantages of having a muzzler.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Most notably it happens when it’s hot out, and/or car has been running a fair amount. This video was after about an hour of running errands (making 3-4 stops on a pretty warm day). Usually I have a slight pressure on the gas pedal and am cruising. The video was at around 25-30MPH, and RPM’s were 1700ish. I’ve been able to duplicate it at 40-45 MPH (and even faster), slight pressure on the gas pedal and the RPM’s again 1700ish.
VCM will give the active motor mounts a constant workout. It does the same thing to the torque converter clutch, all in an effort to keep you from noticing how rough the engine is with 3 cylinders shut off. After a couple of years, the motor mounts or the TC clutch starts to wear out, and the noise starts to become apparent.
I just had a new torque converter installed under warranty at 58k miles.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L
18 Posts
You'll end up spending 5 WHOLE DOLLARS extra on gas after a while.

Jokes aside, the only "downsides" are that you'll lose 1-2 MPG, and maybe a little bit more engine noise, but these are nothing compared to the advantages of having a muzzler.
I appreciate the joke ;)
So which device do you have on yours?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I appreciate the joke ;)
So which device do you have on yours?
I currently don't have on at the moment as I don't drive too much because of the current situation, but the S-VCM and VCM muzzler 2 are good options. I don't really know the difference between the two, but both do the same job. I'm probably going to get the S-VCM in a couple weeks when I start driving more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts