Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Strange Experience with 2021 Special Edition

408 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  DanDentson
Took my 2021 SE to get “whistle” / “high pitch” noise from heater blower fixed. 33k miles, been driving it 18 months.

After I got the Pilot Friday night I immediately noticed some major differences with the engine being more rough and a sporadic rattle noise behind steering wheel which I was able to replicate and record. The engine is louder when starting and feels more rough. Kinda feels as if it is always in Sport mode while on D. The rattling can be reproduced while stopped, on Drive and turning the steering wheel.

On Saturday the same behavior. Was taking a trip on the Pilot and wife asked if the Pilot was safe given how it sounded and felt. Lots of slight vibrations also while approaching idle. I could feel slight vibration on driver seat. My teen son said it sounded kinda “cool” with the strong base sound from muffler.

Then Saturday night on the way home everything literally and magically got back to normal - nice and smooth, quiet startup, no vibrations and no rattling noise from behind steering.

Sunday still drives great. All normal. Love my Pilot. Drives great and smooth.

Anyone experience anything like this? Any theories on what could have happened?

One theory is if software updates were applied that changed the behavior, but then it auto resolved. Or some type of CPU reset requiring transmission to re-learn, if that’s a thing.

Thanks in advance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
'22 Pilot Elite, '09 Ridgeline RTL, '05 MDX Touring
491 Posts
There is a software update for the auto engine idle stop system, and this was likely performed on your car by the dealer when it was there for the service, but I don't think others have reported the same type of rough running after. It's possible that some of the operating calibrations were reset during that software update, that would need to be relearned over time, but I don't think that it'd smooth out as quickly as you describe, like a switch was flipped, and after so short of a duration. Strange!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a software update for the auto engine idle stop system, and this was likely performed on your car by the dealer when it was there for the service, but I don't think others have reported the same type of rough running after. It's possible that some of the operating calibrations were reset during that software update, that would need to be relearned over time, but I don't think that it'd smooth out as quickly as you describe, like a switch was flipped, and after so short of a duration. Strange!
Appreciate the feedback. I will check with the dealer to confirm on the engine idle stop system update.

· Registered
4 Posts
I’m curious to what the dealer did to correct your whistle noise. I’ve had same issue in my 21’ pilot since new. Had blower motor replaced twice which did not fix it. Dealer said nothing else they can do. I would appreciate any details you can provide. Thank you!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m curious to what the dealer did to correct your whistle noise. I’ve had same issue in my 21’ pilot since new. Had blower motor replaced twice which did not fix it. Dealer said nothing else they can do. I would appreciate any details you can provide. Thank you!
Russ Darrow Honda in Milwaukee WI. Here is what they did to solve. It’s been a non issue since.
Font Rectangle Paper Handwriting Parallel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts