Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually park my Pilot on the driveway (Detroit, MI), when I start the vehicle first time in the mornig I hear a brief egine noise for a second (its like over starting) and won't happen again the rest of the day. I 've noticed it happenig only when temparature <30F and won't happen if temps>30F. My dealer was able to duplicate the problem, Since its been happening only first time in the day+ for a brief sec he said he couldn't fix the problem. To be able to fix the problem he said , It should happen more frequently and longer time. He thought it could be a starter problem but couldn't fix due to above reasons. Any one has similar problem or experince especially our Canadian friends or members from colder climates. Finally, should I be concerned about this problem since its been happening in colder temps , only first time in the day and for a brief sec.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
are all the fluid levels ok? just a guess ....

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have this sound, and its in the same conditions, very cold and after its been sitting for awhile, havent taken it to the dealer since I figured he wouldnt be able to replicate it without the right conditions.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have this problem as well. If it's really cold, it sounds like the engine is trying to re-start itself while already running. I'm not too worried about it though...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Sounds like the starter solenoid might not disengaging right away and the engine is spinning the starter. :confused: If so, it could wear the starter out prematurely.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Mine does that too, I notice it at temps 0-25 degrees. It's just another thing to go wrong, so I just forget it and say "oh well".:rolleyes:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have had that 2 days in a row when the Pilot sat overnight in the garage and the overnight low was below 30. I will continue to monitor too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have experienced a sim strange noise when morning startup after setting overnight, since I live in Florida don't believe Temp is problem. Noise is like starter is engaged for secong time. And noise is not an everyday issue. Comes and goes, could not rep for dealer. Noise has since gone away, I have started to turn off the A/C at night and noticed no more noise problems. Suspect this is the relationship.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Pilot does this also, and only when it is quite cold out (below 20 F), and it has been sitting for a while. What I think is happening is that these are the times when the initial idle is the highest, and I suspect (like tim.s) that the starter is not disengaging soon enough when the engine revs up quickly for a cold idle. For example, the idle on my Pilot jumps up to 2000 rpm or so on cold mornings, and this is when I hear the noise. It is a short brief "zipppppp" type noise, and only happens on cold mornings when the idle is high. I've been experimenting with how fast I let go of the key (when I can remember to do it!) but no conclusions so far. I haven't talked to my dealer about it yet, but I plan to at some point.

These cold starts and high idles are when my Pilot also "clunks" into reverse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Engine noise

Yesterday was very cold in Detroit (- 6F) and the noise was little louder and longer than the usual noise. I took to a different dealer , he said its very normal for "hondas " to make funny or strange noises during cold starts and nothing to worry about it. Is it true?.

So far I have experienced the following problems with my Pilot EX
( It has 3000 miles on it)

1. Intermittent starting problems - not fixed yet

2. Drivers door scrunching, water leaks through rear windows- will be fixed next week( parts ordered)

3. Strange and brief engine noise during cold starts- second dealer says its normal for hondas during cold starts- not fixed yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had this exact problem with my Pilot. It felt like the starter stayed engaged (I'm sure that's what it was).

My theory is that I was holding the key too long. Since the car didn't always start, I found myself holding the key longer. The Pilot rarely started with a quick key turn.

My biggest concern with the slow starting issue is munching up starters. Reminds me of my dads old Ford LTD. A new starter every 6 months!

Dave
Ex-Pilot Owner

·
Registered
260 Posts
A typical starter config has the pinion gear on the starter driven outward into engagement with the ring gear on the flywheel when the starter motor is spun. Then when the engine fires the ring gear RPM being higher than the starter pinion RPM forces the pinion gear back off the ring gear. Maybe Honda's pinion movement mechanisms slow down in very cold temps. Might be a clearance issue or simply lube on the pinion shaft/pinion gear mechanism thickening up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Posted by rlhudson99
Starter Noise
My Pilot makes this noise on cold mornings, but so does the Camry. Our Ford Windstar also made the same noise.

Hi rlhudson99:

Have you had any problems with your Toyota Camry or Ford because of starter noise?( any premature starter replacements?). How many miles have you had on these vehicles without any starter problems?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Starter Noise

I never had starter problems with either vehicle. The Windstar had 105,000 miles when I traded it on the Pilot. The Camry has 55,000 miles. I’ve never done anything but oil changes, tires, brakes to either vehicle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
starter noise

Thank you very much rlhudson99. Now I am relieved of starter noise problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't think you have to worry guys, this problem has been discussed at mdx.org and my MDX does it as well. The person who suspected it has to do with the A/C is correct. When it is cold and the A/C clutch engages it Makes this noise. remember that most modern vehicles turn on the A/C by default. Scared the c**p out of me the first time it happened. Regards!
Willie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts