Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just bought a 2004 Honda Pilot with Navigation. I'm going to change out the stereo, but I found out that I would lose my CD and cassette player. Has anyone ever taken them out and replaced them with a storage unit? Or does anyone have ideas on how to cover up the area, or does anyone know how to save the CD and cassette play so they will work with the new receiver?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
94 Posts
Hi! I just bought a 2004 Honda Pilot with Navigation. I'm going to change out the stereo, but I found out that I would lose my CD and cassette player. Has anyone ever taken them out and replaced them with a storage unit?
Check out crutchfeild they gave all the plugs and adapters and head unit that have cd in it honestly you won’t need that because it can plug into your phone on pandora and google maps and it would be reliable and it’s not hard to swap out head unit

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Hi! I just bought a 2004 Honda Pilot with Navigation. I'm going to change out the stereo, but I found out that I would lose my CD and cassette player. Has anyone ever taken them out and replaced them with a storage unit? Or does anyone have ideas on how to cover up the area, or does anyone know how to save the CD and cassette play so they will work with the new receiver?
Save he CD and cassette player? Snap out of it, Captain! We be in the age of solid state stuff. Bluetooth or tether in your phone or an ipod, or put your music or whatever on a memory card.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out crutchfeild they gave all the plugs and adapters and head unit that have cd in it honestly you won’t need that because it can plug into your phone on pandora and google maps and it would be reliable and it’s not hard to swap out head unit
I'm getting my unit from Crutchfield. I want to know if there's any way to save my CD and cassette player or replace it with storage if I take it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Save he CD and cassette player? Snap out of it, Captain! We be in the age of solid state stuff. Bluetooth or tether in your phone or an ipod, or put your music or whatever on a memory card.
I like vintage when I want vintage, but I'm not opposed to using just my unit and it has a DVD player. My OCD wants to take out the non-working CD/Cassette player. Can I replace it with a Generic storage bin?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
94 Posts
You could even change the 10inch subwoofer
I'm getting my unit from Crutchfield. I want to know if there's any way to save my CD and cassette player or replace it with storage if I take it out.
crutchfeild representatives would be more suited to help you with I believe it’s outdated but I may be wrong you may want to send you head unit out to be repaired I believe you may find what your looking for on google I hope this helps

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I like vintage when I want vintage, but I'm not opposed to using just my unit and it has a DVD player. My OCD wants to take out the non-working CD/Cassette player. Can I replace it with a Generic storage bin?
Ya lost me. If you want vintage CD/Cassette player-ability. Why not get the ones you have repaired so they work or get form fit replacements? Or a whole new head with CD/Cassette if they make them anymore.

If you want to take out the CD/cassette player and replace it with a vintage storage bin, maybe something like this will get you there eventually?
Metra Dash Kit for Select 2003-2008 Honda Pilot Black 99-7861 - Best Buy

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thing is, most people generally replace the top unit, whatever that is - OEM audio or navigation. All Pilot-specific dash kits I can see are for 'non-Nav' Pilot. You could try ordering this one: Metra Online
But would it fit in the lower audio unit location? It might, but likely will require some modding.
If you do get a kit like that installed, you can then get something like this to fill in the top section.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya lost me. If you want vintage CD/Cassette player-ability. Why not get the ones you have repaired so they work or get form fit replacements? Or a whole new head with CD/Cassette if they make them anymore.

If you want to take out the CD/cassette player and replace it with a vintage storage bin, maybe something like this will get you there eventually?
The cassette and CD player currently work. Crutchfield said that once I install the new head unit, they won't. If they won't work, I want to take them out and possibly replace them with some type of storage or extra USB ports or something.

·
Registered
750 Posts

The kit you link (angled top mounting ears) is definitely for the top location.
On a bit further research, If anything fits the bottom location, it would be this:

See this illustration (removing audio unit - with navigation)
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Slope

As opposed to this (audio unit without navigation)
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,184 Posts
The LX version of the Pilot (at least in 2005) came with a single DIN stereo on the top and a storage compartment on the bottom side of the stereo compartment. I can’t remember if it has a cassette or a CD.
Perhaps you could check a scrapyard for that setup.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,184 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
I can think of at least two good reasons to want to save a cassette player and a CD drive.

1. Bring back all the emotions associated with your old mix tapes in all their authentic wow, flutter and hiss glory.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
The LX models had a single din radio. Go get yourself the pocket they used to fill the space. 77280-S9V-A01ZA is the part number Price around $10
I think Civics had a similar pocket with a door on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The LX models had a single din radio. Go get yourself the pocket they used to fill the space. 77280-S9V-A01ZA is the part number Price around $10
Thanks, Rocky! Do you think I only need one? The CD/cassette player looks like it takes up two din spaces.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I originally wanted to suggest getting the EX/LX dash stack but that is not really an option here, especially because of that bottom section with seat heater switches. Your most likely option is that Scosche kit I linked in my prior post.
I dunno how much of a splurge you plan, but if you replace the top unit with a higher-end Alpine (Halo9 would look awesome there), you can put the Scosche kit in the bottom location, giving you a storage pocket, and single DIN space for something like the Alpine DVD player (If you are still into using DVDs)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts