Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Pilot EXL 2020
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got my new Pilot about 3 days ago and just this morning I noticed that one of the tire have this gush or defect and I went in to the dealership to have them check on it. They are telling me that it may hit from a curb or something on the road. I swear I didn't hit on something. Any toughts on this? Here is the picture.

·
Registered
813 Posts
That’s really weird. Is the tire losing any air? Tell the dealer that you have been extra careful around curbs and you were the only person that drove it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
What brand is the tire? Usually a tire warranty is provided by and backed by the company that made the tire. Should be information in your owner's manual to that effect.

Find a tire store in your area that sells the same brand tire and have them look at it. they will be the ones to warranty it I believe.

That does look nasty, and with the bubbling and areas that are covered, looks nothing like curb rash in my opinion.

·
Registered
Honda Pilot EXL 2020
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did and swear to them that Im the only one driving and not hit on something. And it is almost impossible to do that kind of damage on a tire without damaging the outside rubber..

·
Registered
Honda Pilot EXL 2020
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What brand is the tire? Usually a tire warranty is provided by and backed by the company that made the tire. Should be information in your owner's manual to that effect.

Find a tire store in your area that sells the same brand tire and have them look at it. they will be the ones to warranty it I believe.

That does look nasty, and with the bubbling and areas that are covered, looks nothing like curb rash in my opinion.

Ok. Thanks for the feedback.. Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS r18
I will try to go around here and maybe ask around about the warranty.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The tire warranty pamphlet that came with your owner's manual package should have some phone numbers to call if you need to find where to take it. Also welcome to the forum!

Not sure if Honda is still doing it (should be no reason not to) but you can ask for and receive the 700 page plus owner's manual by filling out a form. You have six months last time I did it for my 2019 to obtain it from date of purchase.

Go to the Honda Owner's website page. Register there if you haven't already and make sure your 2020 offers the same free booklets.

Honda Owners.JPG

·
Registered
Honda Pilot EXL 2020
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tire warranty pamphlet that came with your owner's manual package should have some phone numbers to call if you need to find where to take it. Also welcome to the forum!

Not sure if Honda is still doing it (should be no reason not to) but you can ask for and receive the 700 page plus owner's manual by filling out a form. You have six months last time I did it for my 2019 to obtain it from date of purchase.

Go to the Honda Owner's website page. Register there if you haven't already and make sure your 2020 offers the same free booklets.

View attachment 137293 View attachment 137293
Is that the blue book that came with the car?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Doesn't look like curb rash but perhaps something sharp on the road pierced the tire in different areas.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Is that the blue book that came with the car?
No, usually the car only comes with the "short: version of the manual. Does your's have over 700 pages? If not, you can get the full version for free by using the Honda Owner's site as one source for it.

·
Registered
Honda Pilot EXL 2020
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't look like curb rash but perhaps something sharp on the road pierced the tire in different areas.

Can a sharp object do the one in the arrow? The bubbly part? Seems pretty impossible to have the top most layer be separated from the inside of the rubber. It should be at one piece even if you try to puncture it.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Can a sharp object do the one in the arrow? The bubbly part? Seems pretty impossible to have the top most layer be separated from the inside of the rubber. It should be at one piece even if you try to puncture it.
The tire bubbling section reminded me of some injuries a patient suffered on the skin from a syringe needle :LOL: but in your case the tire may have been damaged during shipment or rough handling by installer.

·
Registered
Honda Pilot EXL 2020
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tire bubbling section reminded me of some injuries a patient suffered on the skin from a syringe needle :LOL: but in your case the tire may have been damaged during shipment or rough handling by installer.
Hahaha is that a skin test? Hehehe. I should have put a circle on it. I already tried to contact Bridgestone online and sent them the pictures for reference. Hopefully they reply to me soon. Ill update this thread regarding the results.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
Looks like chain or ratchet scuff from a tie down during shipping. Should have been caught during the new owner delivery inspection. Since it wasn’t you are probably on the hook for a new tire. Most warranties don’t cover sidewall damage and you will play hell proving you didn’t cause the damage.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Looks like chain or ratchet scuff from a tie down during shipping. Should have been caught during the new owner delivery inspection. Since it wasn’t you are probably on the hook for a new tire. Most warranties don’t cover sidewall damage and you will play hell proving you didn’t cause the damage.
I agree with this comment. I don't believe it's the OPs fault.
I'd try to get them to replace it but likely they will default to your pre buyer inspection that you signed, that everything was ok upon delivery.
If they don't, I'd keep it and use. That damage is very minor. If I replaced tires for every scuff, I'd be in the tire shop all the time. The wife thinks curbs are bumper rails to bounce off of 🤦‍♂️.

·
Super Moderator
4,304 Posts
So I recently got my new Pilot about 3 days ago and just this morning I noticed that one of the tire have this gush or defect and I went in to the dealership to have them check on it. They are telling me that it may hit from a curb or something on the road. I swear I didn't hit on something. Any toughts on this? Here is the picture. View attachment 137292
Tire should be unmounted and inspected from both the outside and inside. If the outside is just minor scuffing then you have just have an ugly spot on the tire. If however upon inspection there is evidence of any separation or other internal issues the tire needs replaced.

·
Registered
Honda Pilot EXL 2020
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They haven't sign on this. So do I.

·
Super Moderator
4,304 Posts
Thats how my book looks too, but when I signed all the paperwork there was a final inspection document included. Keep in mind that Honda only gives you the Readers Digest version of the manuals. You have to order the unabridged version from Honda which can be done at Honda Owners site.. Check the paperwork you received and see what that has in it. I will bet that you will find a final inspection document there. The book version is kind of like bank books. When was the last time you had a bank book for your savings account?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a similar problem last September when I bought my 2019. I had to call Bridgestone Corporate customer service to get a local authorized Bridgestone warranty facility. I took it where they told me and they replaced 2 tires with 2500 miles on them without any issues other than they had to order them in.

·
Registered
Honda Pilot EXL 2020
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a similar problem last September when I bought my 2019. I had to call Bridgestone Corporate customer service to get a local authorized Bridgestone warranty facility. I took it where they told me and they replaced 2 tires with 2500 miles on them without any issues other than they had to order them in.

Oh that's nice to hear. Hopefully they will cover mine also..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts