Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to replace the stock sub with another sub in the current location, I would love to have sealed box but want it out of sight and need all the vehicle space. I have searched and read through the previous posts on this matter. I came up with the direct fit on the planet audio noe 001, and several others mentioned the Blaupunk thin, Boston acoustics 5’, phase linear, and the illusion audio. Visiting Best Buy the thinnest 10 inch sub they offered was the Kenwood 5 inch WFC W2509 for 120. I read someone had installed this sub with some minor spacer modifications. What sub would be best for a stock fit with no visible modifications? How underpowered would the sub be utilizing the stock head up power supply? Would it be worth the replacement using only the head unit? ? Is there a low pass filter on the stock sub? If I added an amp would it overheat in the headrest compartment in the closed position? Can the wires be wired out of site without losing the functionality of the rear of the vehicle utilizing the stock head unit and a line converter?

Thanks
Joe

P.S. Can anyone suggest a shop in FL Pompano-Boca area?

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are a lot of 10" subs that will work with a spacer. I'm actually searching for an sub designed for an infinite baffle application. JL Audio used to make a very good one as well as Kicker. That's the direction I would head since the enclosure for the stock sub is not completely sealed. Most readily available subs need an enclosure to perform well. The other option would be have a custom enclosure made to go inside the factory space. I'm not sure how hard this would be without taking off the rear fender to gain access. I haven't taken a closer look at the space yet to see if anything can be done from the inside.

The Infinity and Kenwood examples given on other threads worked well in terms of clearance. Someone also posted a diagram of how to modify the trim.

Using the stock radio w/an aftermarket sub is not recommended. You should at least get a dedicated sub amp. These mono amps will have a built-in crossover. A line output adapter can be used to interface with the stock radio. The headrest compartment will work as long as there is ventilation. I was thinking about adding fans on both sides of the compartment to help air flow. Wires can always be hidden - it depends on the installer.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
The best and cheapest thing you can improve your sound system is to install an original/extreme dynamat or it's equal to the door panels, side panels and floors. Any type of sound barrier materials apply correctly dampens vibrations that impair speaker performance!;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts