Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I leave the PS cooler line that is already installed? Will this little aftermarket fin type add anymore cooling capacity than is already there?

Stock is the long two pipe one, and the little one I just got is off to the right, the silver one with fins. I'm skeptical it will provide that much more cooling than the stock one that's there.

Your input and advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
I share your skepticism. Where does that little guy come from? Who's recommending it? What kind of towing are you planning, if any?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Cooling capacity is proportional to surface area. The new one might provide similar capacity compared to the original because of the fins.

Something bigger is going to work a lot better for you.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Should I leave the PS cooler line that is already installed? Will this little aftermarket fin type add anymore cooling capacity than is already there?

Stock is the long two pipe one, and the little one I just got is off to the right, the silver one with fins. I'm skeptical it will provide that much more cooling than the stock one that's there.

Your input and advice is greatly appreciated. View attachment 145880
Cooling effectiveness depends on surface area AND how long the fluid is in the cooler. While that little cooler might have good surface area, the tube is too short to allow the fluid enough time to transfer much heat.

The OEM towing PS cooler is like the one you have only it has fins. (it's the one on the bottom) Due to its length, the fluid has adequate time to transfer heat.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
204 Posts
also has to do with how much air flow is moving over the tube because that's what is really carrying away the heat from the fluid. I would imagine a tube half the length of stock BUT with fins would probably dissipate heat just as well but might want something better for lots of low speed driving. don't think you have to worry about PS fluid overheating as long as the vehicle is being driven at speed along the road as it was intended to

·
Registered
2,957 Posts

I have the aftermarket PS cooler with new hoses installed INLINE with a new OEM PS cooler for additional cooling. Due to the age of our Pilots check for corrosion on both PS and ATF cooler lines (metal and rubber)

Attachments

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
If you're going through the process of installing a PS cooler, may as well install a big guy as above rather than your little guy.

And if this is for hauling your Airstream clear out to the West Coast, what you should really turn your attention to now is a good ATF cooler.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I have the aftermarket PS cooler with new hoses installed INLINE with a new OEM PS cooler for additional cooling. Due to the age of our Pilots check for corrosion on both PS and ATF cooler lines (metal and rubber)
Wow ... that's a lot of coolers in front of the condenser coil and radiator ...

"Yessir, my power steering and transmission run cool as a spring breeze, although my engine overheats and my AC blows hot air.":ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
also has to do with how much air flow is moving over the tube because that's what is really carrying away the heat from the fluid. I would imagine a tube half the length of stock BUT with fins would probably dissipate heat just as well but might want something better for lots of low speed driving. don't think you have to worry about PS fluid overheating as long as the vehicle is being driven at speed along the road as it was intended to
You're correct, although I think the issue with towing causing overheating of the ps fluid has to do with backing campers into tight spaces with a lot of manuevering in reverse. So whatever air the fans provide is what the cooler depends on making time in situ critical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts