Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate those little donut tires...

Thanks JohnDrak for the new spare! (PS I think he still has two for sale)...

pic 1
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
pic2

should have taken this one in the sunlight
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pic3

should have taken this one from a different angle
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
last pic

The full size wheel is much more visible (it is fully positioned/tightened).
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Re: last pic

Samuel2003 said:
The full size wheel is much more visible (it is fully positioned/tightened).
A Hitch and Hitch-step fixes that issue! :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Re: last pic

Samuel2003 said:
The full size wheel is much more visible (it is fully positioned/tightened).
Nice pics :) The spare looks really punny in comparision.

Just wondering if there would be more wear and tear on the tire and the alloy wheel due to them being closer to the ground ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
N-Jay, lol you are a bad influence! :p

Yolk, I don't foresee it making any kind of real contact. I'll keep you updated on how dirty it gets or if I see any kind of scuffing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Samuel2003 said:
N-Jay, lol you are a bad influence! :p

Yolk, I don't foresee it making any kind of real contact. I'll keep you updated on how dirty it gets or if I see any kind of scuffing.
It does not hit anything.
As for how dirty, lets see its hung under the vehicle! Duh!:2: :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
When I added my full size spare I bought a vinyl tire cover from my local auto parts store to cover it up. It looks much nicer under the Pilot and it will add protection to the rim and tire.



2003 WH Pilot EX
Cargo Tray
Full Nose Mask
Running Boards
Rear Mud Flaps
Full Size Spare with cover

1994 Accord Wagon (200K on odometer)
2001 Odyssey White EX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As we used to say, "Someone is Thinking!"... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
mlewisr said:
When I added my full size spare I bought a vinyl tire cover from my local auto parts store to cover it up. It looks much nicer under the Pilot and it will add protection to the rim and tire.

Is the cover open side up or open side down?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
colorider said:


That was a joke - right?
:jester:
Lets see?

Cover, open side up.
Makes a nice bag to catch any water dirt and salt that gets above the tire. I bet by spring you have a well salt soaked wheel.

Cover, open side down.
Protects the exposed side of the tire but not the wheel, but does keep off much of what will sit on top of the wheel (Face side).

Either way i think it is unneccesary. The wheel and tire stored under the car are no worse protected than the ones being used.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
N_Jay said:


Lets see?

Cover, open side up.
Makes a nice bag to catch any water dirt and salt that gets above the tire. I bet by spring you have a well salt soaked wheel.

Cover, open side down.
Protects the exposed side of the tire but not the wheel, but does keep off much of what will sit on top of the wheel (Face side).

Either way i think it is unneccesary. The wheel and tire stored under the car are no worse protected than the ones being used.
Good points - I actually thought that either one of us was not yet awake or that you were joking!

The only thing I have noticed (other than the obvious exposure to dirt) is that if you drive on unpaved roads a great deal, whatever is under there is going to get beat to $hit from the gravel being thrown up. A painted steel wheel will eventually be pretty well sand-blasted.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Will a full size spare still fit if you have a trailer hitch?:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
jay said:


Yes and no.

I read (and saw from the pictures) that it will if you have the OEM hitch. There's not enough clearance with a DrawTite hitch. See this thread:
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5066&highlight=Drawtite
But the fact that your full size spare (and therefor your flat tire) will not fit is offset buty the few $$ you save! :)

P.S. Insuring that you only get a flat tire when you have the back filled with things that "Must Not" become dirty! (So says Murphy)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
a2Pilot said:
Will a full size spare still fit if you have a trailer hitch?:confused:
Full size spare fits perfectly with the HONDA OEM hitch. Some of the aftermarket hitches do interfere.

I have my spare installed after first coating the spare with tire dressing. ( UV protection.) I use the full size spare in the 5 tire rotation. Doesn't seem to get unreasonably dirty back there and has NEVER been scuffed or made any contact with the road or obstructions.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
Loutog said:


I use the full size spare in the 5 tire rotation.
Bravo!!! :29:

I'm betting that you are one of very few that use the full-size spare in the rotation pattern. Actually, I only use the FS spare in the rotation until I am ready to replace the first set of tires. Then I keep the "best of the 5" for the spare and only buy 4 new tires - and use a 4-tire rotation from that point on.

YMMV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
colorider said:


Bravo!!! :29:

I'm betting that you are one of very few that use the full-size spare in the rotation pattern. Actually, I only use the FS spare in the rotation until I am ready to replace the first set of tires. Then I keep the "best of the 5" for the spare and only buy 4 new tires - and use a 4-tire rotation from that point on.

YMMV
Know what you mean. I like to use the 5 tire rotation because if consistently done properly, all five wear at about the same rate and the full set lasts a bit longer than if you only rotated 4. When it's time to replace, I replace all 5 and have a matched set that provides optimal car handling and breaking since all four operating tires are the same age and similar in wear.

Works for me, but you are right, the 4 tire approach works fine and is in fact the only way you can go if you have directional tires or rims. (the Pilot EX rims and tires are not directional)

I would be careful with a multiple-year old left over tire being my spare once it gets on in years, tires do rot and deteriorate separately from usage wear.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top