Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...I'm starting to get irritated. I have had my tires balanced, rebalanced and double checked over the past few months. The tire shops I went to use the Hunter road force machine and everything was within spec. They were mounted correctly (they are Yokohama so the circles were lined up) and I continue to get a slight vibration above 55 mph or so. It is there if I'm cruising or accelerating and doesn't seem to go away at higher speeds (I haven't gone over 90). I try to live with it, but I would love to be able to fix it without throwing parts at it and spending tons of money.

-Can CV axles cause high speed vibration? If so, are the Cardone ones offered on RockAuto good because the price seems surprisingly low. The boots aren't torn.
-What other parts should I be looking at?

There seems to be a lot of threads about vibration for these Pilots and tires seemed to have fixed most of the problems. Any suggestions or tips would be super helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
How much weight are they using to balance those Yokahamas? They are known to have trouble balancing.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Well...I'm starting to get irritated. I have had my tires balanced, rebalanced and double checked over the past few months. The tire shops I went to use the Hunter road force machine and everything was within spec. They were mounted correctly (they are Yokohama so the circles were lined up) and I continue to get a slight vibration above 55 mph or so. It is there if I'm cruising or accelerating and doesn't seem to go away at higher speeds (I haven't gone over 90).
When you had the tires road force balanced, what was the value of road force for each tire after balancing?
The shop should have been able to give you a printout showing that information.

Do you feel the vibration more in the steering wheel or in the seat?

Does rotating the tires make any difference?

-Can CV axles cause high speed vibration? If so, are the Cardone ones offered on RockAuto good because the price seems surprisingly low. The boots aren't torn.
-What other parts should I be looking at?
In regard to the axles/CV joints, do you hear any odd noises when making turns at lower speeds?

As for other possibilities, see this diagnosis chart: https://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/vibechart.pdf

·
Registered
953 Posts
Watch your tachometer as you reach cruising speed. At about 55 mph cruise, the torque converter should go into lockup, and rpms will drop to about 1500. If your vibration happens with TC lockup, then you have the classic transmission shudder. Its caused by valve body sticking inside the transmission.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Watch your tachometer as you reach cruising speed. At about 55 mph cruise, the torque converter should go into lockup, and rpms will drop to about 1500. If your vibration happens with TC lockup, then you have the classic transmission shudder. Its caused by valve body sticking inside the transmission.
I would be doing a 3 time drain, fill, drive with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF to try and save an old transmission.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine goes into lockup at 46 MPH. I realized today that the vibration begins around 30 mph. I’ve changed the transmission fluid many times.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would be doing a 3 time drain, fill, drive with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF to try and save an old transmission.
There’s no TC shudder and I’ve been extremely satisfied with DW-1.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you had the tires road force balanced, what was the value of road force for each tire after balancing?
The shop should have been able to give you a printout showing that information.

Do you feel the vibration more in the steering wheel or in the seat?

Does rotating the tires make any difference?

In regard to the axles/CV joints, do you hear any odd noises when making turns at lower speeds?

As for other possibilities, see this diagnosis chart: https://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/vibechart.pdf
The vibration is definitely in the steering wheel. I’ve started to notice some play in the wheel when driving...like on the highway it wants to go from side to side a little bit.
No popping when I turn at low speeds (which I consider common cv axle noise). I’m noticing some noise when I go over a pothole or if the road is uneven. Can’t remember what part would cause that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The vibration is definitely in the steering wheel. I’ve started to notice some play in the wheel when driving...like on the highway it wants to go from side to side a little bit.
No popping when I turn at low speeds (which I consider common cv axle noise). I’m noticing some noise when I go over a pothole or if the road is uneven. Can’t remember what part would cause that.
In my experience I would feel some slight to moderate vibrations while driving, long before hearing clicking/ knocking at low speed turns if all is good but the CV axle Especially if the boot are intact and hasn't lost any grease, only has lots of miles. I might notice a little heavier vibration under load, like loaded vehicle and going uphill under acceleration. If the miles weren't that high, and I didn't hear any bearing howlings, I'd probably go after the tires and be checking tire pressure.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
There’s no TC shudder and I’ve been extremely satisfied with DW-1.
Glad it's not a TC shudder.
My comment was made in regards to "if there was."
There are many extremely dissatified, previous DW-1 users that have had this non-full synthetic fluid let them down and has been the cause of their transmission having a TC shudder. DW-1 is not OE on this year model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you considered changing the Rotors. I had a similar vibration that seems to have been caused by warped Rotors.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Are the tie rod ends in good condition, or are they worn enough to permit the toe-in to vary?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,237 Posts
I’m noticing some noise when I go over a pothole or if the road is uneven. Can’t remember what part would cause that.
That would typically be sway bar bushings. Does it sound something like a clunk?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are the tie rod ends in good condition, or are they worn enough to permit the toe-in to vary?
I'm assuming the tie rod ends could be replaced. The roads where I am are pretty rough and they have never been replaced so it would make sense.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How many miles on your Pilot?
195,000 miles. Rotation makes no difference. I think some of it may just be Yokohama tires are difficult to balance but it may also be that there are parts that need replacing. I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts