Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question ...

... I have noticed that the tailgate door seems a bit hard to open. I have to use both hands to compress the handle. Its not so bad except when I have things in my hands - then it gets awkward.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
111 Posts
copperpoppy said:
Quick question ...

... I have noticed that the tailgate door seems a bit hard to open. I have to use both hands to compress the handle. Its not so bad except when I have things in my hands - then it gets awkward.

Anyone else notice this?

Copperpoppy, I have not noticed this on mine - no problem opening, it just takes a pretty light squeeze, much the same as the other door handles. Sounds like the mechanism might be a bit sticky.

I find it is a bit tough to close with one hand when it's open all the way. It really needs an interior pull handle.

---
03 Pilot EX-L SS w/RB
01 Audi S4

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmmmmmmmm, might have to have this looked at. I have to really squeeze it to get the thing to open. Nearly busted my nails the other day since it was raining and I was determined to open that thing with one hand while I held my umbrella in the other.

Perhaps it just needs to be worked in a bit but, I am finding it a bit frustrating.

·
Registered
919 Posts
No problems here. Seems to be what I would consider very normal.

Chris

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xyzzy said:
No problems here. Seems to be what I would consider very normal.
I am wondering if perhaps it is because I am female and don't have the same strength in my arms and hands that a man has. Has your wife said anything about it being hard to open?

·
Registered
919 Posts
No reports from the wife. She drives the Sienna and I drive the Pilot, so she may not have ever opened it.

Chris

·
Registered
111 Posts
No problems here from the better half either. And I would've heard by now if it was an issue :8:

---
03 Pilot EX-L SS w/RB
01 Audi S4

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Doesn't sound normal CPuppy ... Probably should get it looked at ...

PrG

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I meant CPoppy ... not CPuppy ...

Forgive ...

PrG

·
Registered
51 Posts
Our Redrock Pilot is primarily wife's to drive. Let me assure that if she found any issues with the vehicle including difficulty opening the tailgate she would be quick to share.

Not normal function. Have it checked.

·
Registered
51 Posts
And I kinda like the sound of the Cpuppy thing, by the way.:D

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have no trouble opening it, in fact i think it's lots easier to CLOSE than our previous minivan was, it was a test of arm strength (of which i have little)

Beth

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would get it checked out also. It might be a simple as screwing in the 2 rubber adjustments, they might be out far enough to make the door tight against the door lock. Do you have to slam the hatch down really hard to close it?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have a problem closing it whatsoever. Smooth as glass. Its just the locking mechanism. I think it hates me. :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
A couple of things to check:

*The gate seal. Make sure that the seal isn't out of it's channel anywhere. If it is, it could be creating additional pressure on the latch assembly because the gate can't completely close.

*Lubrication. Spray silicone or WD 40 into the lock assembly then pull the handle a few times to work the lube into the mechanism. If this does seam to make the problem better, I would ultimately grease this type of mechanism, but the lube should give you a good idea.

Other than that, just take it back to the dealer and let them worry about it.

Chris

·
Registered
494 Posts
copperpoppy, I haven't noticed the problem with opening the tailgate. It is very easy to do. My hasn't had a problem with it either.
:confused:
There might be something wrong with yours. I would call your dealership ASAP and get it looked at.

·
Registered
290 Posts
oh yeah, and closing it is kind of a *****, especially when you have a full bag of golf clubs slung on your back and golf shoes in your hand, which I experienced this morning.

·
Registered
919 Posts
r_hammel said:
oh yeah, and closing it is kind of a *****, especially when you have a full bag of golf clubs slung on your back and golf shoes in your hand, which I experienced this morning.
Sounds like a rough life. :cool:

Chris

·
Registered
307 Posts
no problems here either

1 - 20 of 27 Posts