Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sticky Gas Pedal (Throttle) on 2003 EX Pilot?

Hello all,

I have had my 2003 EX Pilot for about 1 year, and I have 15K miles on it. Twice in the last year the dealer has fixed a "sticky throttle" under warranty.

Basically the throttle seems to stick when you start to press it, as you add more pressure with your foot, it gives, and you jerk off the line. This does not provide for very smooth acceleration.

First time they fixed it, they said it was because we used "cheap gas" (costco). They cleaned and greased everything. Then we started using Chevron and 76 only. (warr repair)

Second time, after about 3 months, it was sticking again. We brought it back and told them we used good gas, and they said it was weird. There was a lot of "carbon" build up. They cleaned and sent us on our way. (warr repair)

Later (2 days) Service rep called and said they they had another Pilot with the same issue. He was going to "ask Honda" about it. (no update to this yet)

Now the throttle seems to be headed towards getting sticky again.

Anyone else experincing this problem? Or is it just me?! :)

Thanks
Skedeet

·
Registered
185 Posts
Twice

Twice in a year, both in sloppy winter weather. Sharp "thump" resolved it both times.

It's been reported in the Forums by others a handful of times. :8:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Regarding Costco's gas, we've been using it for years. In fact, when I asked the Costco Tire Center Manager about the quality of thier gas, he grinned and told me to follow the truck to its next stop. If I had the time, I would've just for kicks. He ended up telling me that they use a major distributor that was also used by some of the biggest names in the industry (Arco wasn't one of them).
We have a four door sedan that requires super, and a two door twin turbo that requires the same. They both run great on Costco's gas. As far as the dealers comments, read some of the threads on the site about dealer & service center employees attitudes towards "customers", and it's easy to see that they're lacking serious customer service skills. For every bunch, there's a couple of bad apples, unfortunately many folks don't have the luxury of multiple dealerships in their area and find out the hard way.
Good luck, and keep us posted.

rtrypilot

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had this problem on my truck, but it started before I started using Costco gas (almost exclusively - when you have a 35 gallon tank, it's worth the trip.)

Anyway, All I needed to do was take off the air intake tube and spray just a little carb cleaner on the hinge/linkage for the butterfly plate. Scrubbed a bit with an old toothbrush, wiped it out, and it was good as new. 10 minute fix. :cool:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Throttle

I've had mine for just a year and had the same thing happen. Press on the pedal and it won't depress. Happened a couple of weeks ago. Have to really press hard. This happened from a cold start.
I posted this once and someone mentioned the possibility of carbon. I use Shell and Tex and it gets general all around type driving.
Don't buy the cheap gas theory, gas is refined by only a few refineries and resold. For the most part gas is gas and all the blah blah about ours is better doesn't hold up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, after much to do, Honda replaced the whole throttle assembly because we also did not completely but the "cheap gas" theory. Now it is smooth as silk once again!
Thanks all for your comments!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had a sticky throttle on my '01 Accord and remedied it with STP Super Concentrated Fuel Injector Cleaner in a full take of gas after every oil change.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Throttle

skedeet
I'm having fits with my throttle. Same problem as yours. I've been spraying stuff on it but no change.

It seems worse when the engine is heated.

Was it really carbon or bad throttle assembly?

·
Registered
241 Posts
sticky throttle

I've contacted the dealer about the sticking throttle problem and they tell me that the throttle assembly has to come apart and replace gaskets etc etc, AND it isn't warranty service, like brakes and tires.
I told them at 16,000 miles that is not a warranty item, nope it isn't.
Anyone buy this?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: sticky throttle

lamuncha said:
I've contacted the dealer about the sticking throttle problem and they tell me that the throttle assembly has to come apart and replace gaskets etc etc, AND it isn't warranty service, like brakes and tires.
I told them at 16,000 miles that is not a warranty item, nope it isn't.
Anyone buy this?
Call Honda!
Better yet call Honda from the dealer. :2:

I would say that this is a safety issue (now I don't know if it is a safety issue, but that usually warm up the "make it go away" attitude)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Throttle

Good idea, I will call Honda and see if I can move things from there. I'm going to try another dealership first, it seems skedeet had his replaced, finally, under warranty.

It seems to me if you need to go into the engine to fix something like throttle plates then it's got to be warranty.

When I called the service people the guy had an attitude when he looked me up because I hadn't been in since the timing belt recall a year ago. (Like a lot of us I do my own stuff - mostly).
He asked where I was getting the service done and I told him it wasn't relevant to the SRS thing -which is why I called him initially. So he said "and now you get the recall and want us to fix it".

He was also really fast with a response when I described the problem, like it was common?
and so on....

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Since when is a throttle assembly a wear item.. :ucrazy: If that's the case, I guess we should be seeing throttle assembly repair/replacement shops pop up next to the tire/brake shops. :D

Read your manufacturers warranty to see if they mention any disclaimer regarding this part. I bet they don't. You have a bumper to bumper 3yr/36K mile warranty and last time I checked the throttle assembly was between the bumpers.

Honda should pay.:4:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Throttle

To go full circle, but no fix yet, I spoke to the service manager about this and he agreed it was a warranty item.

What I learned: don't take the first answer.

You got me why the guy said what he said other than he seemed to have his head in the wrong place because I hadn't been there for a year and wanted to know where I had the service done which of course I didn't tell him.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
You should inform the service manager that the :mad: employee you talked to earlier almost cost his department the repair. If you had not asked again and gotten the correct answer from the manager, the members here would have suggested you try another dealer.

One more thing, yeah, you only go once a year because you do things yourself, but you might also tell you less mechanically inclined friends not to go there either.

In the end, glad you got your answer, the right answer. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had a Pilot for 6 months and have put on 10,000 miles. Last week on a trip to Vancouver BC I noticed that my throttle would stick when starting off from a stop. It would stick until enough foot pressure would force the pedal to move causing the engine to surge. It hasn't gotten worse but I will be taking it in this week for the dealer to look at. I kept thinking it was the throttle linkage but glad I found out that I'm not the only one with the problem.:eek:

·
Registered
260 Posts
CarGuy said:
Had a sticky throttle on my '01 Accord and remedied it with STP Super Concentrated Fuel Injector Cleaner in a full take of gas after every oil change.
I'm not sure how that can work. The injectors are downstream of the throttle body so the cleaner will never reach the butterfly valve. :8: BTW, most cars with a throttle body required occasional throttle body cleaning. A carbon ring will build up over time around the edge of the butterfly valve causing everything from a sticking throttle to a rough idle and reduced performance/mileage. STP and other manufactures make a special throttle body cleaning spray. Since many thottle bodies have a special coating to reduce carbon buildup, it's better to use a cleaner designed specifically for the throttle body so that the coating isn't damaged or removed.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
DanL said:
I'm not sure how that can work. The injectors are downstream of the throttle body so the cleaner will never reach the butterfly valve. :8: BTW, most cars with a throttle body required occasional throttle body cleaning. A carbon ring will build up over time around the edge of the butterfly valve causing everything from a sticking throttle to a rough idle and reduced performance/mileage. STP and other manufactures make a special throttle body cleaning spray. Since many thottle bodies have a special coating to reduce carbon buildup, it's better to use a cleaner designed specifically for the throttle body so that the coating isn't damaged or removed.
I had a '98 Accord that would "stumble" at the same spot in my morning commute during acceleration. Every time that happened, a throttle body cleaning fixed it right up.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Throttle

With the injectors downstream of the throttle how does carbon buildup at the throttle?
Carbon is a byproduct of the combustion which, in part, is caused by the injectors, so I would guess that fuel passing through the injectors is causing the carbon. And the cleaner stuff is in the gas so it too passes through the injector and may help.
Having said that, I tried a bottle and no help. The problem is the gradually getting worse.
How is the throttle body cleaner applied?

·
Registered
260 Posts
In order to reduce emissions (particularly nitrous oxide), some of the exhaust gas is recirculated back into the intake manifold via the throttle body when idling. That's where the carbon generally comes from and is why sometimes ERG valves also get plugged up with carbon. The ERG valve controls when and how much exhaust gas makes its way into the combustion chamber.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how hard it is to clean the throttle body in the Pilot. It's fairly easy to do in my Maxima (have only had to do it once in 50K miles) and it's considered a 'routine/recommended' maintenance item by my dealer ($80). But there are some extremely expensive components in that general area (such as the mass airflow sensor) and you're much better off letting a professional do it IMHO.

I'm only a DIY mechanic (and not necessarily a good one at that), but if you are getting that much carbon buildup that quickly, something is leaking exhaust gas into the throttle body, perhaps either through a bad gasket or a defective ERG valve.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts