Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on buying a pilot in the next 3 months. I am looking for leather with a dvd. the ones i have seen are stickered at 32,480.
I live in the raleigh, n.c. area; and am wondering how much i can get off the m.s.r.p. Does anyone have any winning bargaining stories?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I recently bought a Pilot in the Charlotte, NC, market. I looked all over Charlotte and even drove up to Greensboro to look at a dealer there. I ran the gamut from dealers who were willing to give me a good discount ($1500 off MSRP) to dealers who could barely be persuaded to give me $700 of MSRP.

Of course, a lot it is going to have to do with whether or not the dealer has any Pilots in stock. One dealer I went to didn't have a single Pilot on the lot for me to look see. Another had 7 the day I called and only 1 left the next day when I went to visit.

Depending on when you're looking to buy, you might get some leverage with the upcoming release of the 2004 Pilots - you might be able to get a decent deal on a 2003 when that release date gets closer. When is the release date? On this web site (College Hills Honda), they say August - my own dealer said October...but then again, he was trying to get me to take a 2003 Pilot and I'm sure he didn't want me to think the 2004's were just around the corner.

If I had to do my Pilot shopping again, I'd probably start by using the various Internet buying services to get quotes from a couple of dealers. With those quotes in hand, I'd probably start checking out all my local dealers to see who wanted to match/beat that lowest price.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I echo kman's suggestion. I use edmunds.com's "internet quote" to canvas dealers within an acceptable radius (and sometimes even further if I can't find a reasonable deal locally).

You'll find the response rate spotty - one dealer from whom I requested a quote contacted me about a month ago and I had requested a quote back in November 2002!. Still, its a pretty good way to narrow down the field.

You might also want to check out the dealer ratings on the home page. Doesn't seem to attract too much activity, but it might help you further narrow your dealer choices if sales ratings are low.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I got about $3000 off the MSRP by driving to Ohio for mine. Fot the cost of one night's hotel for the return trip, it was well worth the time.

·
Registered
483 Posts
77cvcc said:
I plan on buying a pilot in the next 3 months. I am looking for leather with a dvd. the ones i have seen are stickered at 32,480.
I live in the raleigh, n.c. area; and am wondering how much i can get off the m.s.r.p. Does anyone have any winning bargaining stories?
Your best bet at saving any money and having any negotiating leverage is to find a dealer who has these sitting on their lot. If they are selling their allottment as soon as they get them in they do not have to come down in price.

Carsdirect.com did not work for me, their price was lower than the dealers locally were willing to go. Cant hurt though to give them a try, it sounds like some of our members have had better success than I have had.

Good luck!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I also went the internet route and through the dealer's websites emailed each internet manager and asked for a quote. Got pretty spotty responses as well but ended up driving from Raleigh to Charlotte for the best deal at Hendrick Honda. I had a very good experience with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am happy to reply that a week before Christmas i got my 2004 midnight blue exl-res with tow package for the drive off the lot/tax included price of 33,694!!! i spent one afternoon e-maiing every dealership in north carolina along with a few in virginia and south carolina. the internet sales mgrs who really needed the sale got back with me and even bartered for a lower price, even though i had to order this color. save time by going to areas starved by the economy or low income.... they give you the best price AND actually appreciate the customer and the sale! vester honda in wilson, nc was the greatest buying experience i've ever had.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quoted price is $900 higher :-(

In mid September I was given an email (followed up with a phone call) quote of about $33,800 for a 2004 EXL with Navi and assorted options. This was the best quote I'd received from all the Honda dealers in the Sacramento area. This morning I received a quote from the same person at the same dealership of about $900 more for the same thing! I'm bummed.... I was hoping that the end of the year would bring a better price -- for me, not the dealer. :-(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Quoted price is $900 higher :-(

MellowMama said:
In mid September I was given an email (followed up with a phone call) quote of about $33,800 for a 2004 EXL with Navi and assorted options. This was the best quote I'd received from all the Honda dealers in the Sacramento area. This morning I received a quote from the same person at the same dealership of about $900 more for the same thing! I'm bummed.... I was hoping that the end of the year would bring a better price -- for me, not the dealer. :-(
Firstly whoever told you or wrote an article about supposed "year end" savings is wrong. End of calender year is almost always meaningless and especially meaningless with an "in demand" vehicle. Pilot dealers with high prices and forced options may lower prices a bit during lulls, but dealers who don't force options and who give good prices are delivering vehicles pre-ordered and have already sold their december and january alotments.

That is the only equation besides regional differences. (My assumption is with the repeal of the excise tax in california last month that dealers there are selling vehicles to the limit).

I drove home my Pilot two weeks ago for better than $1300 below MSRP , but my dealer was pre-selling all his pilots and could care less about the supposed end year lull.

A lot of the car buying advice you get from various sites is vaulable, but you can forget much it with an in demand product like the Pilot. IE there is NO inventory cost to dealers with Pilots.

One month ago when I checked JD power for average time from delivery to sale the pilot was 11 days...the absolute shortest of the top 100 vehicles sold in the US. (04' Chevy trailblazers spent about 50 days on the lot!) When I last checked JD power the time had dropped to 10 days, meaning demand is even higher over supply this month.

Overall US car sales are GROWing this year, not declining, so don't expect a change.

It is bad strategy to "wait" for a BS price drop...you would have been much better off using your time in giving a deposit with a firm buyers order for a vehicle to be delivered in the next two to six weeks.

you need to tell the internet sales person you intend to deposit on a purchase order in 24 hours. Tell them you just want one quote from them and will not come back to negotiate. A car dealer is ALWAYS at advantage with negotiations. Call and tell them one shot, best OTD bid takes the sale. Tell them nothing at all about other dealers. Tell them you will give a $500 credit card deposit that day to best bid that is fiollowed up by written OTD buyers order. If you are not going to travel, getting a firm quote with four or five dealers will probably get you the best local deal. VINS are available at least three weeks out and maybe more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wish I could say it was a 'strategy'

Geo said:
Firstly whoever told you or wrote an article about supposed "year end" savings is wrong. End of calender year is almost always meaningless and especially meaningless with an "in demand" vehicle. Pilot dealers with high prices and forced options may lower prices a bit during lulls, but dealers who don't force options and who give good prices are delivering vehicles pre-ordered and have already sold their december and january alotments.

It is bad strategy to "wait" for a BS price drop...you would have been much better off using your time in giving a deposit with a firm buyers order for a vehicle to be delivered in the next two to six weeks.
I wish I could say it was a strategy to wait. Alas, the reality is that I just haven't had time to focus on anything but the most urgent matters (not to be confused with 'important' matters) in life,
:rolleyes: mostly due to work. In fact my boss told me the other day that I've been working such "grueling" hours these past 6 months to take some time off :) ... So, I wish I could say I had some overall strategy to buying the Pilot. It's just that now I have some time and I had hoped the calendar might work to my advantage. Ah well. :(

(My assumption is with the repeal of the excise tax in california last month that dealers there are selling vehicles to the limit).
Yeah, I have had a strong feeling about that ever since my fellow Cawly-fornians voted in the new guv. :3: I don't think sales dropped; that is, I really doubt a few hundred dollars really prevented people from spending +/- $35,000 for a car. On the other hand, the perceived benefit of the repeal probably made a bigger difference in buyer behavior, especially given the proximity to the holidays. :rolleyes:

I drove home my Pilot two weeks ago for better than $1300 below MSRP ,
Good deal! Congrats! :cool:

One month ago when I checked JD power for average time from delivery to sale the pilot was 11 days...the absolute shortest of the top 100 vehicles sold in the US.
Yeah; one of my coworkers told me this a few weeks ago.

you need to tell the internet sales person you intend to deposit on a purchase order in 24 hours. Tell them you just want one quote from them and will not come back to negotiate. A car dealer is ALWAYS at advantage with negotiations. Call and tell them one shot, best OTD bid takes the sale. Tell them nothing at all about other dealers. Tell them you will give a $500 credit card deposit that day to best bid that is fiollowed up by written OTD buyers order. If you are not going to travel, getting a firm quote with four or five dealers will probably get you the best local deal. VINS are available at least three weeks out and maybe more.
Interesting idea. I've collected about a dozen quotes but haven't responded to any. I'm a cash buyer; the thought of giving a dealer my credit card number for just the deposit gives me the heeby-jeebies, even though I was hoping to put some or all of the purchase on a card to rack up the benefits of that card. :2:

MellowMama
(Been driving an '89 Corolla since.... 1989)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Deposits

Always use a credit card for a (fully-refundable) deposit. Using a credit card gives you an ally (VISA) if things go wrong...my 2 cents

My experience buying a pilot. Find out exactly what you want (color, style, options). Make a written/phoned offer (final price before tax, title, license) to an internet/fleet sales manager about 5% to 6% over true dealer cost. Never travel before you have a written offer from the dealer (buyers agreement) in hand with a VIN and the details filled in. If you think something seems wrong, it probably is. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Deposits

Werewolf said:
Always use a credit card for a (fully-refundable) deposit. Using a credit card gives you an ally (VISA) if things go wrong...my 2 cents

My experience buying a pilot. Find out exactly what you want (color, style, options). Make a written/phoned offer (final price before tax, title, license) to an internet/fleet sales manager about 5% to 6% over true dealer cost. Never travel before you have a written offer from the dealer (buyers agreement) in hand with a VIN and the details filled in. If you think something seems wrong, it probably is. Good luck!
Whoa, good idea about the credit card deposit -- I hadn't thought of that; thanks! I found out the most the dealer I think I'm going to buy my car from tomorrow morning (knock on wood) will accept using a credit card is $2,000.

Is there a creative financing thread for people who aren't really financing in the traditional sense?

I have an offer in writing, but the VIN was given to me over the phone. Assuming the car didn't sell this evening (who knows? it may have), I'll go up there tomorrow morning and if things aren't right, I'll walk. (The ex-laws live down the street so I can always turn the trip into an outing to visit grandma.)

Thanks again for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Charging your deposit is a great idea, especially if you have the credit card I have. I have the Chase Freedom card which gives me 1% for every purchase I make (not up to like Discover) and 5% on any gas purchase. When we just bought the 2004 Accord, my future Mrs. charged her deposit of $8,000 on her Visa and will get back $80 for buying an Accord (which we stole at the price we got it at). Now $80 doesn't sound like much when you just got done buying a $21,000 vehicle, but it's still $80.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thinks edmunds.com has a lease/loan calculator. Try that. I also think Honda has a 3.9% APR for 60 months for all 2004 Honda vehicles. I would use this or try a home-equity line to finance (tax savings)

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's a done deal! WooHoo!

I ended up putting $2000 on a credit card and writing a check for the rest. I was looking for creative ideas such as using a credit card that offers kickbacks or frequent flyer miles, but even though I have pretty high credit limits, I found in the end I just preferred to do it this way. I thought about taking advantage of the 3.9% interest Honda is charging right now on all 2004s, but the thing that stopped me is the clause in the contract about pre-payment penalties. The finance mgr. vowed there weren't any but right there in the contract it said there are. She accused me of accusing her of lying; whatever, it's there in black and white! LOL. :rolleyes: :D

Ok, here's what I got:

2004 EX-L with Navi, Sandstone (pale dirt) color;
- Cross bars
- Fog lights
- Day/night mirror
- Cargo tray
- Cargo cover
- Separation net
- Rear splash guards

Price for the above, inc. destination charge but not tax and license, $33,868.
The vehicle and destination charge, without the accessories, was $32,360.

The price for the accessories was full price (about $1500 total), but oh well, I don't install fog lights so didn't mind paying them for it all. I think I did as well as I could in this part of the world.

There was a couple in just after me who bought a black EXL (no navi or res) from the same internet mgr. I wonder if they participate here? If I hadn't been annoyed at spending the whole frickin' day there I would have been in more of a mood to ask...

Signed,
A very Happy
MellowMama
:)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Congratulations on your new Pilot Mellow Mama

Now we want to see some pictures!

Happy New Year. What a great way to start it.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to pictures!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts