Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I’ve gotten options in this, but do these things literally pop off with a screwdriver or something similar?? They say it’s easy to do and was taught how to pop them off haha.... looking at it looks pretty easy. Got my 6ft ladder easy to hold the trunk so.... any new ideas on how you’ve done yours? Thank again!!
Erica B

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know I’ve gotten options in this, but do these things literally pop off with a screwdriver or something similar?? They say it’s easy to do and was taught how to pop them off haha.... looking at it looks pretty easy. Got my 6ft ladder easy to hold the trunk so.... any new ideas on how you’ve done yours? Thank again!!
Erica B
For an 08

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
155 Posts
If you're talking about the rear hatch struts, here is a quick video. This is exactly how I did mine a few years back. No special tools required, just a flathead screwdriver.

My advice is also to make sure the hatch is supported, and do 1 at a time.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,369 Posts
Its one of the easiest jobs to do.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're talking about the rear hatch struts, here is a quick video. This is exactly how I did mine a few years back. No special tools required, just a flathead screwdriver.

My advice is also to make sure the hatch is supported, and do 1 at a time.

Cool thanx!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
Its one of the easiest jobs to do.
Yup, but always safety first. A six-foot A-ladder with an old towel on top was my safe 'n' EZ friend.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, but always safety first. A six-foot A-ladder with an old towel on top was my safe 'n' EZ friend.
Yes, much appreciated!! And the video helped out a lot!! The video was exactly how I was thinking but very thorough and easy on how to take it off and clip it back in. I’ll keep you posted if you’d like?? Going to do it over the weekend of Monday, writing all week so definitely not trying to rush it, want it done the right way and safety for sure, but again your input is definitely makes me even more confident 🙃 Thanx.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,369 Posts
OP has that covered.

FWIW, a step ladder doesn't work if you are replacing hood struts.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
359 Posts
OP has that covered.

FWIW, a step ladder doesn't work if you are replacing hood struts.
When I change struts, I do one side at a time. I use a pair of vise grips to hold the one. Then when time to do the other I repeat. My hood struts were worn on my pick up, to lazy (cheap) to replace, so just kept vise grips in the glove box. Whenever I had to under the hood just used the vise grips to hold it from falling down.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
155 Posts
The nice part about this type of repair is how easy it is to do, and how much you save over having a shop do it. I bet a Honda dealership would want $150-200.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For those of you following along at home...

I did it!!! OMG what a difference from the old , no lifting it up. I have a video but it won’t let me attach it?!? Ugh,. Anyways its done? Easy easy easy!! Thank you so for you advice and video that you shared, so much appreciated ❤ Thank you talk to you soon haha

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Congrats on the successful DIY fix.

You've now earned the coveted Piloteers' Dancing Banana of Success.

Toy Beard Electric blue Event Font

By the way, to post your video here, simply upload it to YouTube, then copy the URL (web address that appears near the top of your browser) and paste it in the text box where you usually type your posts here.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

View attachment 153627

By the way, to post your video here, simply upload it to YouTube, then copy the URL (web address that appears near the top of your browser) and paste it in the text box where you usually type your posts here.
Haha thanx for the banana dance dude. Ok about the you tube never find out but I’ll try it

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

View attachment 153627

View attachment 153627

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've replaced struts on my travel trailer and my Yukon with great results and more headroom. My Pilot struts work fine, but my problem is opening height. There's no way to put longer struts on my 07. I hate bumping my head...

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've replaced struts on my travel trailer and my Yukon with great results and more headroom. My Pilot struts work fine, but my problem is opening height. There's no way to put longer struts on my 07. I hate bumping my head...
Yes I agree!!i feel like they could go another , still feel like I’m ducking when it’s open ✅

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
My Pilot struts work fine, but my problem is opening height. There's no way to put longer struts on my 07. I hate bumping my head...
I gained a ½ inch with these, FWIW. Still have the good reflex to duck when approaching, since at 6'1" I can stand straight inside under the middle section but still bean myself if I try to walk into there from the edge.

If you're talking about these rear hatch lift support struts on Amazon, I would be willing to give them a try. They've got good reviews (FWIW), and some of them mention to install them in pairs because they actually give you an extra ½ inch, which would be exactly what I need to keep from beaning myself to this day.

https://www.amazon.com/Charged-Lift...2--1-1-2688-171-&vehicleName=2006+Honda+Pilot

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Tailgate-Supports-Struts-2003-2007/dp/B01GZI5R08/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=honda+pilot+tailgate+strut&pd_rd_r=ffd508cd-b919-461b-bf41-03f561c24df2&pd_rd_w=Adue6&pd_rd_wg=vwQqy&pf_rd_p=bec88bc8-d41e-4895-a8dc-a35e165b8995&pf_rd_r=RRG86DPTGQ92YKXX9V8X&pid=4ZZZs1k&qid=1612588391&sr=1-1&vehicle=2006-59-758-191--9-6-6-7952--1-1-2688-171-&vehicleName=2006+Honda+Pilot

EDIT:
Ya know, I just went ahead and ordered them because YOLO and I'm tired of beaning myself.

One installation tip I remember, because the rear hatch door is surprisingly heavy without those struts, is to open it and then rest it on rolled up towels on the top of my 6-foot stepladder.

They came and I just installed them. It was a mild -4 C with no wind, and it gave me something enjoyable to do until they start the actual game...

So with nature's free and carbon-free air conditioning, the job was no sweat. Felt as refreshing and satisfying as going skiing, so now I'm enjoying a little après-ski, pre-game libation.

The struts seem fine so far and I can now stand under the middle part without beaning myself, thanks to that extra ½ inch. Time will tell how they hold up.

Speaking of hold ups, c'mon, kickoff already! Go insert favorite team here!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts