Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a new EX-L that I knew had problems with its stereo and car noise when we purchased it but I have upgraded and sound proofed before. Having a wife that's my best friend and an excellent assistant, I determined to undergo the upgrade process ourselves. Little did I know that the modern era cars require something to correct their head unit outputs to the amp. After much research, I went with Focal PS 165 FE speakers in the front and a lesser model in the rear doors, an AudioControl LCQ-1 LOC, and an JL Audio amp.

The AudioControl website states their warranty is for five years if their gear is installed by one of their certified installers vice one if I installed it. Being intimidate by the number of adjustments available and reading about AudioControl's real time analyzer I decided to have CarToys install the front speakers, LOC and amp. Bad decision. I had all the trim removed from our Dynamat installation and all the shop had to do was remove the A pillars for tweeter install, the front door panels, dash end caps and run the power supply wire from the battery to the amp in the back. Now the issues: 1. They didn't have a real time analyzer and the adjustment of the sound was extremely poor to say the least. The tech used an FM station for a sound source. 2. After 7 1/2 hours to do that little bit of work; 4 speakers, an amp and LOC, $640 bucks out of the pocket, I have an awful sounding setup that needs much adjustment to be dialed in. I know the speakers can sound fabulous and expected that when I had the installed but such wasn't the case.

After Dynamating the car, we still have an extreme amount of white noise coming from the rear. More research required as I have to get rid of that noise. It drives these old ears nuts. I did a Highlander many moons ago with superb results but this car needs much more help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The rest of the story.

Got rid of the white noise by adding Secondskins Luxury Liner pro. It wasn't as easy as the dynamite because it's thicker and doesn't like curves. You need to take out sections to allow it to fit the curve you're adhering it to.

The shop that installed the gear wired the turn on power signal to the amp and LOC/equalizer to the dome light circuit. I discovered this while working in the back end and hearing humming from the speakers and a loud pop sound when the light circuit deenergized.

Now for the good news. The warranty Car Toys has is honored by all stores. Today, a different shop fixed all the issues in a couple of hours and I am one happy hombre. Quiet ride, good tunes and beautiful wife. Life is good, even for old farts!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts