Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all you Pilot owners,
I just got my new Pilot last Monday, and I have to say that I love everything about the Pilot except for the stereo system. I didn't even think to try out the stereo when test driving the vehicle at the dealer because I had a Honda Accord before the Pilot and the factory stereo sounded very good.

So, I'm wondering if any of you have had the same thoughts about the Pilot's stereo sound. To me it doesn't sound very crisp and clear, and I can't get the stations I like as I could in my Honda Accord. Perhaps it is because the built-in antenna in the window doesn't work as well as the old fashioned antenna that I had on the Accord.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this matter? Have you adjusted your stereo settings or just left them at the factory presets for bass, fade, etc.? I've tried adjusting the settings but that does not seem to improve the sound.

Denise
([email protected])

·
Registered
15 Posts
To me the stereo is simply lacking in crispness. I have set the treble to +5 and the bass to +1 which suits my taste much better than the factory base settings. Interestingly I find that the stereo sounds great when very loud, but it is "foggy" at lower levels.

Just one man's opinion....;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I Like it!

I am no audiophile but I find the sound system to be just fine. It has plenty of bass and I find it to be crisp and lively on the top end also. I have my T&B set to +1 or +2 and I find that is all I need. I listen to a wide variety of music and talk radio and have had very few problems. The only complaint I have is that there is a different sound level between the radio and CD/Tape. When the radio is on I have to turn the volume up considerably but this is really a minor problem and I have nothing to complain about. I know there are a number of threads out there talking about the poor quality of sound but I just don't get what all the hype is about. IMHO, no vehicle is a really good place to be concerned with High Fidelity because of all of the other nosie (road, wind, AC/Fan, etc.) that is in such a confined space. I am so tired of hearing everyone (well a few that is) complain about things that really don't matter in the grand scope of life! There, I had to get that off my chest and ruffle a few feathers!

Happy Trails
Dan

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
DeniseT said:
Hi all you Pilot owners,
I just got my new Pilot last Monday, and I have to say that I love everything about the Pilot except for the stereo system. I didn't even think to try out the stereo when test driving the vehicle at the dealer because I had a Honda Accord before the Pilot and the factory stereo sounded very good.
It's difficult to compare the sound quality in an SUV and a sedan. If the two have the same sound system components, the sedan will win each time.

The speakers in the rear window of a sedan tend to produce a wider sound stage and better overall sound quality. They benefit from the large trunk volume and the reflection of the mids and highs off the glass.

The sound from the door mounted speakers in the rear doors tends to get lost behind the seats and suffer from the smaller back volume of the doors. Not to mention, two speakers pointing directly at each other tend to muddle the sound quality and sometimes cancel each other out (loosing mids and highs).

It's just the nature of the vehicle type.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
DeniseT said:
Hi all you Pilot owners,

So, I'm wondering if any of you have had the same thoughts about the Pilot's stereo sound. To me it doesn't sound very crisp and clear, and I can't get the stations I like as I could in my Honda Accord. Perhaps it is because the built-in antenna in the window doesn't work as well as the old fashioned antenna that I had on the Accord.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this matter? Have you adjusted your stereo settings or just left them at the factory presets for bass, fade, etc.? I've tried adjusting the settings but that does not seem to improve the sound.
Denise
([email protected])

DeniseT, I tend to agree with all your points, although I also agree with dreese that "high fidelity" should be judged by different standards when it comes to listening in a car environment. What tim.s said in his post also sounds reasonable to me.....the sound environment in a sedan will beat that of an SUV every time.

As I've indicated in other threads, my main complaint is with the radio reception in my Pilot. It just can't pull in stations--AM or FM, local or distant. I've parked my '98 Civic right by the Pilot and verified an obvious difference in signal strength. Of course, the Civic has the outside metal antenna. While I've heard that outside antenna reception is superior to built-in reception, SURELY the difference isn't as pronounced as in my case. I will be asking the Service Dept. about this problem when I take the Pilot in for its first oil change shortly....I just hope they won't blow me off with the bit about "You just have to expect this with built-in antennas."

You may have to decide if it's worth it to you to upgrade the Pilot's sound system with aftermarket gear. I know there have been threads on this subject elsewhere on this board. (See Audio and Electronics)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts