Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 I love my first gen. Anyway about a week ago all my speakers lost sound. All except for the sub. The stereo has power and functions correctly I just can't hear anything but base basically. What I want to know is what stereo year is compatible since I am having a difficult time finding a factory stereo. I know I know put in a better stereo but I don't want to lose the sub so......
Thanks for any ideas y'all might have

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
In that case, pull your head unit like in the video, pull the connections, maybe spray a little contact cleaner in them (I still have a can left over from the Radio Shack days :)), jiggle the wires a bit and check for any bad connections, then see if it works again. If so, do what I did and get and install a GTA Car Kit (pure Bluetooth version) and enjoy the OEM unit with a 100-buck Bluetooth upgrade, which includes functional steering wheel controls, so your phone calls, music and Waze/Google Maps audio can all be channeled through your OEM head unit. I, for one, am hunky-dory with that setup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In that case, pull your head unit like in the video, pull the connections, maybe spray a little contact cleaner in them (I still have a can left over from the Radio Shack days :)), jiggle the wires a bit and check for any bad connections, then see if it works again. If so, do what I did and get and install a GTA Car Kit (pure Bluetooth version) and enjoy the OEM unit with a 100-buck Bluetooth upgrade, which includes functional steering wheel controls, so your phone calls, music and Waze/Google Maps audio can all be channeled through your OEM head unit. I, for one, am hunky-dory with that setup.

Ty I'll check that tonight. I hope your right

·
Registered
744 Posts
If all 4 door speakers quit at same time, my money is some capacitors in the speaker amp section have gone bad. I think subwoofer channel amp is a separate circuit in there. If this were mine and I was going for cheapest repair possible, I would pull the head unit, take it apart and see if any of the caps look funny (bulged, leaked, etc)

You could try looking for a head from a 2004-7 Pilot on eBay, but all those units are going to have same ~15 year old failing components.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In general you will likely lose the sub with an aftermarket stereo unless you add an amp and rewire. . I just upgraded to a new Sony XAV-AX1000 stereo and some inexpensive kicker CS 6 1/2" speakers in the doors and it sounds way better than it ever did, even without the use of the stock sub.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Here is sample listing, still active at time of this post. $40, free ship for a 2003-5 OEM stereo. (2006-8 will NOT work for you)

Seller claims "in good working order" and offers a 30 day free return.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 226k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 145k
125 Posts
When you call the dealer, they should be able to look it up with the radio serial number, so if you go that route be sure to write it down before putting the head unit in!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts