Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
No one it seems. I have searched a number of times, and not only for Pilot, Odesseys and Ridgelines. These angines are also in some Accord and Acuras. But nothing positive yet :(.
My 2012 Crosstour V6 accelerates much better than my Pilot. It's 300Lb lighter but that's not the reason. This Pilot is being governed.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
My 2012 Crosstour V6 accelerates much better than my Pilot. It's 300Lb lighter but that's not the reason. This Pilot is being governed.
It's certainly possible the ECU is pulling torque in low gears to preserve the drivetrain or try and get more efficiency. When the torque management was removed from my 4.8 Silverado with the 4 speed auto it felt like I gained 50 hp/tq in first and second gear. In my Traverse there is a noticeable surge of torque once it shifts to third gear at moderate throttle. I find it annoying that vehicles do this but some mask it better than others.

·
Registered
659 Posts
It's certainly possible the ECU is pulling torque in low gears to preserve the drivetrain or try and get more efficiency. When the torque management was removed from my 4.8 Silverado with the 4 speed auto it felt like I gained 50 hp/tq in first and second gear. In my Traverse there is a noticeable surge of torque once it shifts to third gear at moderate throttle. I find it annoying that vehicles do this but some mask it better than others.
Ok, now I need to chip my Pilot. 😀

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Ok, now I need to chip my Pilot. 😀
I don't know for sure, you'd need to confirm with one of the tuning firms. I've never really seen mention of it on the forums but Pilot drivers aren't usually looking for max performance, I bet there are plenty of discussions about that on the Durango R/T forums.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I don't know for sure, you'd need to confirm with one of the tuning firms. I've never really seen mention of it on the forums but Pilot drivers aren't usually looking for max performance, I bet there are plenty of discussions about that on the Durango R/T forums.
I've owned all kinds of cars. Many Hondas. This Pilot makes me just wanna....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Checked the oil catch can today. I’ve driven approximately 500 miles since installing it, and the dip stick showed that there was something small caught in the trap.

It was a few milliliters (like ten drops) of oil mixed with fuel in the bottom. Not much, but it’s over quite a short distance and better caught in the can, than sprinkled over the intake valves.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Checked the oil catch can today. I’ve driven approximately 500 miles since installing it, and the dip stick showed that there was something small caught in the trap.

It was a few milliliters (like ten drops) of oil mixed with fuel in the bottom. Not much, but it’s over quite a short distance and better in the can sprinkled over the intake valves.
View attachment 134689
Looks like I gotta get a catch can now. 👍

·
Registered
510 Posts
Looks like I gotta get a catch can now. 👍
That's funny, I just ordered a catch can Thursday and got it yesterday. Going to follow this linked post to install mine. I got the one he linked to from Amazon for $17.50 It has a filter but no dipstick or drain plug on it. I figure no problem just removing it to empty it when I do an oil change. Also with the cap being able to screw off no need for a dipstick in my opinion.

Oil Catch Can Install

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is there a simple way to monitor the IAT? In my old Civic Type R I could hook up my computer to the Hondata modified ECU and check. Can you check it while driving with some ODB reader?
I use generic Bluetooth OBD2 scanner to view the IATs. Apps such as Torque can display those and the coolant temps.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is there a simple way to monitor the IAT? In my old Civic Type R I could hook up my computer to the Hondata modified ECU and check. Can you check it while driving with some ODB reader?
I use generic Bluetooth OBD2 scanner to view the IATs. Apps such as Torque can display those and the coolant temps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
I couldn’t wait any longer, so today I swapped the wheels.
It’s a Swedish brand called ABS wheels. 20x10” ET35 in Dark Tint version, dressed with Bridgestone Alenzis 285/45.
No issues with fitment. But 10” wide rims do tend to be on the limit. The rear wheels do protrude a little bit out.
But it does look nice, and the handling is so much more precise now with stiffer side wall tires.
FDD5C4BC-DFC1-431B-BD59-18A8C3EEB439.jpeg DF87E1E7-B167-4F3C-B1AE-DC83210379E3.jpeg 984EBA86-BE23-41A1-BA54-894C44F4236A.jpeg A45ACD8C-CBCF-4C1D-B976-3966ADBECC37.jpeg E423D5E8-711B-44EE-810D-6E5D912A6F59.jpeg 1CFDD580-10DB-420A-ABF5-43A4D68F45CB.jpeg

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm still waiting for someone to release the horses.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm still waiting for someone to release the horses.
If there is one thing the 3rd gen Pilot is not, that's slow. For it's class it posts some of the best numbers shy of a Durango RT or Explorer Sport/ST.

Now I have a 2nd gen, and if there is one thing it is that's slow. 250 hp/tq with 5 speeds and 4500 lbs is NOT fast.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If there is one thing the 3rd gen Pilot is not, that's slow. For it's class it posts some of the best numbers shy of a Durango RT or Explorer Sport/ST.

Now I have a 2nd gen, and if there is one thing it is that's slow. 250 hp/tq with 5 speeds and 4500 lbs is NOT fast.
My 2012 Crosstour will smoke this new Pilot.
I agree with Stefo, we're being speed limited.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
My 2012 Crosstour will smoke this new Pilot.
I agree with Stefo, we're being speed limited.
Well yea, our '08 Sonata with 235 hp will smoke the Pilot with 250 and Traverse with 280. Gearing, weight, rotational resistance of larger and heavier wheels/tires/brakes, etc.

But yes, my statement that torque limiting occurs in lower gears is likely valid for the Pilot to save the driveline.

And yes, I totally agree the Pilot is and should be speed limited. The tires they put on them aren't made for high speed maneuvers and high COG doesn't help either.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
That looks sick on your white paint...Let us know if you get any rubbing over big bumps or during hard turns.
Thanks! I’m very happy with how this transformed the look of the car!

One thing I’ve noticed now after driving some more is that I get som rubbing on the plastic inner wheel arches when turning 90% to full lock and in reverse. Not when in drive. So the optimum would have been a slightly higher ET (ET40) and/or slightly thinner tires. I can’t machine off 5mm on the wheels, so I’ll buy 275/45 tires next time.

But as a reference, don’t go below ET40 with 10” wide wheels. It looks cool though, but I need to take some care when in reverse to preserv the plastics!
I’ve also noticed that there is more rubbing on the left wheel than on the right, and my TPMS shows the left wheel having significantly higher pressure (44psi), so I’ll drop it to 40 and see what happens.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks! I’m very happy with how this transformed the look of the car!

One thing I’ve noticed now after driving some more is that I get som rubbing on the plastic inner wheel arches when turning 90% to full lock and in reverse. Not when in drive. So the optimum would have been a slightly higher ET (ET40) and/or slightly thinner tires. I can’t machine off 5mm on the wheels, so I’ll buy 275/45 tires next time.

But as a reference, don’t go below ET40 with 10” wide wheels. It looks cool though, but I need to take some care when in reverse to preserv the plastics!
I’ve also noticed that there is more rubbing on the left wheel than on the right, and my TPMS shows the left wheel having significantly higher pressure (44psi), so I’ll drop it to 40 and see what happens.
This is exactly the feedback I was hoping for. To anyone asking about wheel size/fitment options, this is SUPER valuable info. Thanks Steffo!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts