Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I like everything you have done except the short ram intake. I guess it depends where you are, because here in CA its mostly sunny and Summer is more frequent here. Besides the stock intake is actually an oem Cold Air Intake as cold air is directly filled from the front of the grill.

Awesome job on the upgrades. Let me know if you see any improvements from the oil catch can, thats my next mod.
Yes, the stock intake is actually pretty well designed to start with in these vehicles, and on hot summer days in slow traffic i think I will probably loose power with my setup compared to stock, but I can accept that for the benefit of better accessibility to the battery, easy filter cleaning (instead of disposing) and the fantastic sound it makes :).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This weekend I changed all transmission fluids, ATF, transfer case and rear differential.
When i bought the car it had 22000 miles on it, and no record of any transmission fliuds change. It now has 28k miles, so better safe than sorry I reckon.
For rear differential I used Hondas DPS-F (according to spec), for transfer fluid I used Hondas HGO-3 (by recommendation from my Honda service center even though I know that most in the US use HGO-1), and for ATF I have bought a big 20l container of Valvoline ATF (formerly known as Maxlife).

I also bought the crush washers from Honda. It took about one hour to drain and fill all three. One thing that hit me was the big difference in viscosity between the old transfer fluid which (however warm) ran like water when I drained it, and the new one that was very much thicker in comparison. There is a difference in viscosity between the HGO-1 (75W85) to HGO-3 (straight 90), but the difference was really more than expected even thought the HGO-3 was really cold coming from non heated storage (around 0 C). This would be expected according to my Honda service man from three reasons. 1, The temperature difference is big. 2, There is a difference in viscosity between these two, but HGO-3 is within recommendation and a better "oil" than the HGO-1. 3, These fluids deteriorate over time according to the Honda man, and usually when they change this fluid in other vehicles (used in the S2000 rear differential for instance) it's really thin.

Anyway, the car runs like new now, and the shifting is a bit smoother (even though I never noticed it being rough before) and it also seems that I saved some gas milage after the change. The benefits are likely due to the change of ATF, but they are quite noticable. MPG is up by somewhere between 1-2 MPG. I really recommend changing the ATF a bit more frequently than recommended. If you can do it yourself, the cost is neglectable and the benefits are well worth the time and money.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When you get ready for wheels, I would suggest these...................

You should order them now though as they are a custom build. Only 1 million dollars (us currency) per wheel. Think how good that would look with the camouflage paint job. No one would ever notice you then. 😆

·
Registered
659 Posts
By recommendation from my extremely experienced Honda service manager, I have also started using 0w-30 engine oil which further dampened the overall noise from the engine and made it run smoother. The reason for the recommendation was that the 0w-20 specified by Honda is only used to reduce fuel consumption a bit, but using an 0w-30 oil will protect the engine better and make it last longer according to him. It's still a low viscosity oil, but a little less like water when hot.
I agree with you and the service manager. I will be making the change in all my Honda V6s to 0w30. This is a no brainer for me with the extreme heat of summer knocking on my door. 0w20 pours out of the bottle like water where I live. Thanks for the nudge.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
When you get ready for wheels, I would suggest these...................

View attachment 134609

You should order them now though as they are a custom build. Only 1 million dollars (us currency) per wheel. Think how good that would look with the camouflage paint job. No one would ever notice you then. 😆
I already have a set of new wheels in the garage. A bit like the ones on the picture in fact ;).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I agree with you and the service manager. I will be making the change in all my Honda V6s to 0w30. This is a no brainer for me with the extreme heat of summer knocking on my door. 0w20 pours out of the bottle like water where I live. Thanks for the nudge.
Honda is hunting fuel consumption very hard. They are not allowing the service stations to use anything other than 0w20 oil for more and more vehicles to get the overall fuel consumption of the Honda fleet down. Personally, I'm hunting reliability, comfort and overall driving experience harder than fuel consumption and i think saving a few drops of gas at the cost of potential issues and need for repairs is damaging the planet more than the actual extra fuel does.

It's a bit like the trend here in Sweden where you teach people to drive extreemely smooth to save some gas. Never accelerating hard. Necer use the breaks more than absolutely necessary and instead let the car roll as much as possible. All good for the individual fuel consumption! BUT, when the traffic light changes to green and the gas saver slooooowly accelerates, it means that 5 extra cars are left behind when the light turns to red again, which otherwise would have had time to pass, and 5 cars now stand with idling engines for a couple of minutes. One guy saved a few drops, and five guys lost the same amount of drops.
Also the breaks of the smooth drivers tend to stick and stop working since they are not properly exercised. This means that otherwise perfectly fine breaks needs to be swapped, and often not just the pads, but the rotors, and sometimes even the calipers will need an overhaul. The total affect on the planet is much greater than the additional proper use of the breaks would have caused.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Honda is hunting fuel consumption very hard. They are not allowing the service stations to use anything other than 0w20 oil for more and more vehicles to get the overall fuel consumption of the Honda fleet down. Personally, I'm hunting reliability, comfort and overall driving experience harder than fuel consumption and i think saving a few drops of gas at the cost of potential issues and need for repairs is damaging the planet more than the actual extra fuel does.

It's a bit like the trend here in Sweden where you teach people to drive extreemely smooth to save some gas. Never accelerating hard. Necer use the breaks more than absolutely necessary and instead let the car roll as much as possible. All good for the individual fuel consumption! BUT, when the traffic light changes to green and the gas saver slooooowly accelerates, it means that 5 extra cars are left behind when the light turns to red again, which otherwise would have had time to pass, and 5 cars now stand with idling engines for a couple of minutes. One guy saved a few drops, and five guys lost the same amount of drops.
Also the breaks of the smooth drivers tend to stick and stop working since they are not properly exercised. This means that otherwise perfectly fine breaks needs to be swapped, and often not just the pads, but the rotors, and sometimes even the calipers will need an overhaul. The total affect on the planet is much greater than the additional proper use of the breaks would have caused.
I'm definitely looking for longevity. After doing some reading, I'm not so sure if 0w30 is better for my vehicles than 5w30 with extreme summer heat just around the corner for me. I have 3 of these V6s, with the milage at 230k, 99k, 22k.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
This is why I give my cars the old "Italian Tune Up" at least weekly. Get them nice and hot, run them to redline 4 or 5 times after stoplights, do some heavy braking. Cars are meant to operate at temperature. I drive the Sonata 3 miles each way about 30 times during the week since I work so close to home. It runs like crap after a couple weeks of this treatment but I'll take it out on the highway for an hour or so and give it some heavy acceleration and braking on the ramps it feels like a new car again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm definitely looking for longevity. After doing some reading, I'm not so sure if 0w30 is better for my vehicles than 5w30 with extreme summer heat just around the corner for me. I have 3 of these V6s, with the milage at 230k, 99k, 22k.
The difference between 0w30 and 5w30 in hot conditions is not big. The first figure is a measure of the viscosity in cold conditions, and the second figure is the viscosity in a hot engine. So the 0w30 is a bit thinner to begin with during cold start up, and especially in really cold winter climate, but they have similar viscosity in hot operating temperature.
But if you live in a warm climate, there is no need for 0w oil. 5w will do the job just as fine, and it's probably a little bit thicker even at warm temperature.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The difference between 0w30 and 5w30 in hot conditions is not big. The first figure is a measure of the viscosity in cold conditions, and the second figure is the viscosity in a hot engine. So the 0w30 is a bit thinner to begin with during cold start up, and especially in really cold winter climate, but they have similar viscosity in hot operating temperature.
But if you live in a warm climate, there is no need for 0w oil. 5w will do the job just as fine, and it's probably a little bit thicker even at warm temperature.
I'm probably going to 5w30. My favorite Mobil 1 Oil is available in that weight.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice additions. You will thank yourself for the oil catch can every time you change your oil. I am glad I have it in my '19 Odyssey.

However, that AEM short ran intake is a waste of money. Aside from the sound, esp when the Vtec switches over, but that setup is robbing you of power, regardless of what the butt dyno says. You could have gone the route of a drop in K&N filter, that is reusable. The OEM setup draws in much cooler and faster air, as opposed to the short ram intakes pulling hot air (almost 20+ deg above ambient) and stagnant air.

BTW, I second the 5w-30.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Nice additions. You will thank yourself for the oil catch can every time you change your oil. I am glad I have it in my '19 Odyssey.

However, that AEM short ran intake is a waste of money. Aside from the sound, esp when the Vtec switches over, but that setup is robbing you of power, regardless of what the butt dyno says. You could have gone the route of a drop in K&N filter, that is reusable. The OEM setup draws in much cooler and faster air, as opposed to the short ram intakes pulling hot air (almost 20+ deg above ambient) and stagnant air.

BTW, I second the 5w-30.
Yes, I know that cold air is beneficial, and I agree that a drop in K&N filter probably gives the highest overall gain. In Sweden it's seldom very warm, so I suffer less from heat soak with my short ram filter, than in Sunny California, but during warm summer days in slow traffic, it's definitely going to be bad for power.
Is there a simple way to monitor the IAT? In my old Civic Type R I could hook up my computer to the Hondata modified ECU and check. Can you check it while driving with some ODB reader?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ok, who's got the solution to this? I don't like being regulated. Lol
No one it seems. I have searched a number of times, and not only for Pilot, Odesseys and Ridgelines. These angines are also in some Accord and Acuras. But nothing positive yet :(.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
No one it seems. I have searched a number of times, and not only for Pilot, Odesseys and Ridgelines. These angines are also in some Accord and Acuras. But nothing positive yet :(.
I would think Hondata or RV6 have information on how to achieve that modification, it's just they don't get a lot of requests for the Heavy Hondas.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts