Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In February 2019 i bought my Canadian 2016 EX-L which ticked all my boxes as a perfect family car. We are 5 in the family and the kids are still pretty young, so Im hoping to get at least 10 years of family hauling out of this vehicle.
I can never leave any car as it is, so the road to perfecting the car to fit my liking started quite immediately after the purchase.

I thought that it could be of interest to this forum to follow my improvements and preventive actions to avoid the most common issues.

To avoid GDI related issues (injectors and spark plug problems), the very first thing I did was installing a S-VCM controller to shut down the variable cylinder management.
I noticed no change in fuel consumption whatsoever.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Next upgrade was to install a AEM air intake kit. It’s an upgrade I’ve done to almost every car I’ve ve owned. Besides some more horsepower, the filter can be cleaned instead of disposed, it allows easy access to the battery poles for charging and it gives a nice throaty sound when accelerating fast.
9072B11C-365A-42E2-B11D-25443B0A75AA.jpeg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next, I disconnected the ANC unit to kill the ANC (Active Noise Cancelling) unit. This was a preparation for future audio system upgrades, and it also allows the subwoofer to provide a little more bass when listening to music.

Link to clip showing how it’s done.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do all these “mods” essentially kill your warranty? And is there any proof that the 3rd gens are affected by the cylinder deactivation?
I would say that any alteration could potentially void the warranty if you talk to a dealer that’s in a bad mood, so making changes if you have a valid warranty is always a risk.
I don’t know if there is proof that the VCM hurts the J35y6 engines, but there are PLENTY of examples of people having injector issues and/or spark plug issues and mostly on the cylinders that are shut down by the VCM, so my conclusion was to prevent this from happening to me by killing the VCM. The only good it seems to do anyway is to save some drops of fuel in certain driving conditions. Saving a few dollars of fuel per year vs the risk of engine problems was a no brainer to me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I hated the stock lights. For some strange reason, my car was equipped with halogen bulbs for both low and high beam, something that’s almost unheard of in Europe for the past 15 years.

So I bought a 40w low beam xenon conversion kit and a 55w high beam xenon conversion kit from a Swedish lights dealer.
Fantastic result on the low beam, and very good high beam result also if you have the patience to wait for a few seconds when the ballast warm up. That fact is a bit annoying, so I might LED convert the high beam later, but the amount of light is really great from the 55w xenon, so maybe I won’t change it anyway...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At the same time I put some quite smart LED bulbs, designed almost as flash lights, meaning they spread the light more focused than normal bulbs, as backing lights.
Now it’s very bright behind the car when backing!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roof bars was already installed when I bought the car, which comes in handy when we go on family vacations and attach the roof box to fit camping equipment or skis.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Looks good... nice functional mods.

Are you in Sweden now? Those plates don't look like any Canadian plates I've seen.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Looks good... nice functional mods.

Are you in Sweden now? Those plates don't look like any Canadian plates I've seen.
Yes I'm in Sweden. The car was brought to Sweden by the former owner who lived in Canada for some time and then moved back to Sweden. But the plates are Swedish even if they are somewhat smaller than normal Swedish plates so they may fit the designated areas on the bumpers.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Very cool! How does the Pilot do in Sweden? I'm not real familiar, was it available there new or in any neighboring countries? If not, I wonder how adept the service department is for repairs beyond your capability.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very cool! How does the Pilot do in Sweden? I'm not real familiar, was it available there new or in any neighboring countries? If not, I wonder how adept the service department is for repairs beyond your capability.
The Pilot works perfect in our climate and roads here. The only thing that really annoys me is the speed limiter, which I would love to get rid of if possible. There are 5 generation 3 Pilots registered in Sweden, so I'm quite unique with this vehicle. I have 20 kilometers (13 miles or so) to Swedens oldest Honda service workshop. They are true Honda nerds, and know everything about everything worth knowing about Honda. The Pilot is sold in Russia, so there are spare parts to some extent available in the Honda Europe hub, and at least the channels for getting parts is there, even if it may take some time to get them. For instance I had to wait 3 months to get a new windshield since it's a special Canadian version with heated wiper area. But when it comes to performing the actual services I have full confidence in the guys at Rosenholtz Honda service.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Your mods are awesome! I definitely like what you have done with the headlights. I wish America would get onboard with making it mandatory to have better headlights. Compared to my 2013 CRV, our Pilots headlights rock, but then looking at your conversion makes me jealous haha

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
When I bought my 2016 EX-L one year ago it had 3500km (25k miles or so). I noticed a ticking sound that I related to either valves ticking or injector ticking, especially during cold winter mornings when the engine was cold. But after doing some reading up on these GDI engines, I was reassured it was normal injector sounds (however not from all 6 injectors but rather from one of them since it was a steady rhythm and not fast enough while idling to come from all injectors. Anyway, after reading more about these engines I decided to to everything in my power to prevent GDI related issues. Shutting down the VCM was the first, using Redline SI-1 injector cleaner was number two. I thought this reduced the ticking sound a bit, but it was late spring and the temperature was warmer so I thought that it could be related to that. Just before christmas this year, I also did the CRC GDI valve cleaning spray process, and after that there is a clear reduction in the ticking. It's almost completely gone now even though it's winter!

So whatever the ticking sound came from, the detergents I've used have greatly reduced the it.

By recommendation from my extremely experienced Honda service manager, I have also started using 0w-30 engine oil which further dampened the overall noise from the engine and made it run smoother. The reason for the recommendation was that the 0w-20 specified by Honda is only used to reduce fuel consumption a bit, but using an 0w-30 oil will protect the engine better and make it last longer according to him. It's still a low viscosity oil, but a little less like water when hot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As a third precaution I have just installed a oil catch tank (or can as it’s called) to prevent oil fumes from going directly to the intake and causing carbon buildup on the valves.
Very simple job that took less than 30 minutes including the assembly of the catch can.
I attached the can to the front with double sided adhesive and straps to avoid drilling holes that may later start to rust.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Due to a lack of rear entertaiment, I bought and installed a pretty nice 15” 1080p screen so my kids can have something to look forward to during long trips.

This was not a 1h job to though.
I probably spent at least 4 hours until I was happy with the result.
Its important to remember that you still want to be able to retract the sun roof, and you ’ want to attach the screen in the roof linings (not sure that’s the correct term). So I had to manufacture some metal bars with threaded nuts clued to them and stick above the lining, to be able to have something more substantial to fasten the screen to.

The result is really nice, so I’m happy with the work, and the kids are happy as well!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Looks really good! Did you hardwire the setup in so it gets power? Where did you route the wires?

We have been utilizing some tablet holders that clip onto the headrest posts, I haven't wanted to tear into the headliner.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like everything you have done except the short ram intake. I guess it depends where you are, because here in CA its mostly sunny and Summer is more frequent here. Besides the stock intake is actually an oem Cold Air Intake as cold air is directly filled from the front of the grill.

Awesome job on the upgrades. Let me know if you see any improvements from the oil catch can, thats my next mod.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks really good! Did you hardwire the setup in so it gets power? Where did you route the wires?

We have been utilizing some tablet holders that clip onto the headrest posts, I haven't wanted to tear into the headliner.
I did the easy way and tapped into the power going to the mid row roof lights. There you have 12V+, GND and the trigger for the open doors to turn the lights on. So now i have the side lights if the screen turning on when the doors open, which is a nice touch. Of course i have placed a fuse on the 12V+ line between the roof light and the screen.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts