Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2008 Pilot with 200k+ miles that has recently developed the shakes. Steering wheel shakes pretty hard and wants to pull hard to the left. I checked the tires/wheels for damage and none was found. When I google these symptoms the overwhelming result is tie rod ends. The rubber boots look ok on them and I don't feel any play when I try to move the ends, but I guess they probably need replacing anyway due to age? The sway bar ends on the other hand look completely shot to me. Not sure if the bad sway bar ends would cause these symptoms though. Lower control arm bushings look gone to me as well. I'm an amateur and learned all of these terms just now on a suspension diagram. lol What do you think, just replace everything under there?

IMG_20200504_184207712.jpg
IMG_20200504_184835953.jpg
IMG_20200505_192244780.jpg
IMG_20200505_192700646.jpg

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My ‘04 Pilot doesn’t have the shakes but I’m in a slow rebuild process on the front end since a lot of the same parts you posted have similar cracks in the rubber covers and bushings. Got all the parts from Rock Auto and used the forum discount to save some bucks. New lower control arm will come with new compression bushings and ball joints pre-installed which I suspect may be your problem although all the worn parts are probably contributing to the issue. If you can DIY you will save some serious bucks. P.S. worn CV axles can cause shakes too.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I've done all those, too, so what @aggrex suggests, including just replacing the entire LCA (Lower Control Arm).

At 200k+ miles, sway bar end links are not out of the question.

While you're at it, change youre sway bar bushings, because usually you can't even see that they're out of round on the inside until you take them off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I've ordered the following from rockauto (thanks for the discount code!)

Inner tie rods
Outer tie rods
Sway bar end links
Sway bar bushings
Front left lower control arm
Front right lower control arm

Looking forward to installing

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Nice list but @200k IMO the struts&shocks should be on the list too. With this investment the Pilot should drive real nice and with regular maintenance roll along for many more miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just watched a video on shock replacement. Didn't realize they were that straightforward to do. Struts involve spring removal correct? May be a little advanced for a newbie. Will definitely do the shocks in the near future. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Nice list but @200k IMO the struts&shocks should be on the list too. With this investment the Pilot should drive real nice and with regular maintenance roll along for many more miles.
And while you got it all apart. 👍

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Replacement struts are available with or without the spring. At your mileage it’s probably best to get the quick-strut replacements as it’s faster and much safer. Dealing with a compressed spring is no laughing matter when that energy is accidentally released.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
396 Posts
I'm also in the process of ordering all the parts you mentioned above. I'm curious what brand you picked for the control arms/tie rod ends and stabilizer links. I'm trying to decide between MOOG and Proforged. Going with Proforged is about $150 more versus MOOG.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Replacement struts are available with or without the spring. At your mileage it’s probably best to get the quick-strut replacements as it’s faster and much safer. Dealing with a compressed spring is no laughing matter when that energy is accidentally released.
My local auto parts lets you check out a set of spring compressors with a deposit. Their very sturdy.
YouTube how to use : )

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm also in the process of ordering all the parts you mentioned above. I'm curious what brand you picked for the control arms/tie rod ends and stabilizer links. I'm trying to decide between MOOG and Proforged. Going with Proforged is about $150 more versus MOOG.
I found good reviews of Beck/Arnley via Google so went with them on everything

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts