Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Honda Dealership put new 18" 2019 ody wheels and new kumho crugen ht51 tires on my 09 pilot. There is a vibration once you start to hit 50 and higher. The dealership has mounted and balanced them twice to no avail. I used the stock pilot lugs...should I be using another lug set? Help! They said it will have to get worse before they can diagnose it. I personally think the shake is bad. The pilot did not have the shake when I took off the old 17" stock wheels to use for winters this coming fall.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
I had a Honda Dealership put new 18" 2019 ody wheels and new kumho crugen ht51 tires on my 09 pilot. There is a vibration once you start to hit 50 and higher. The dealership has mounted and balanced them twice to no avail.
Is the diameter of the center hole in the Odyssey wheels the same as for the original Pilot wheels?

Did the dealer use a Hunter road force type balance machine?
If so, did you get a printout showing the values of road force for each wheel/tire after balancing and what were the values?

Is the vibration felt more through the steering wheel or the seat?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Both use M14 x 1.5 thread size so changing the lug nuts should not help the vibration. Run the 17" to see if the vibrations are truly gone.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Well, your pilot came equipped with 17" wheels with a 45mm offset. You put on 18" wheels with a 50mm offset. The offset of the wheel matters. The center line of the wheel is not on the designed center line for the rotors and suspension. Changing the scrub radius can effect the handling and performance of the tires.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shake is in the steering wheel. Not sure what machine they use at 802 Honda dealership..no print out was given. In fact, I've never gotten a printout from any location I've ever had tires balanced at. Would 5mm spacers help then?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Shake is in the steering wheel. Not sure what machine they use at 802 Honda dealership..no print out was given. In fact, I've never gotten a printout from any location I've ever had tires balanced at. Would 5mm spacers help then?
Most vehicles with strut suspension are manufactured with a slight negative scrub radius to improve handling. You may well have exceeded the acceptable radius. I’ve never installed wheels that did not meet specs so I can’t give you a definitive answer.

The offset does effect your alignment as well. Did you have an alignment done when you put on the new wheels?

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Shake is in the steering wheel. Not sure what machine they use at 802 Honda dealership..no print out was given. In fact, I've never gotten a printout from any location I've ever had tires balanced at.
802 Honda is not listed on the Hunter website as having a road force type balance machine.
However, 802 Toyota apparently does have one.
Maybe you can get the balance checked there and get a measurement of the road force.

Shops in your area with that machine are:
In Montpelier:
802 Toyota
Vermont Tire & Service Montpelier
Capitol City Buick GMC
Capitol City Kia
Cody Chevrolet Cadillac
Vianor Tire
Twin City Subaru
In Barre:
Mid State Dodge-Chrysler-Hyundai
Tire Warehouse

Below is an example of a typical printout from the Hunter machine.
While about 26 lbs, or less, is supposed to be acceptable, I'd rather see 10 lbs, or less.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What does this line mean:
"While about 26 lbs, or less, is supposed to be acceptable, I'd rather see 10 lbs, or less."

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The context of the numbers. What should be under 26lbs? I see on the pics of the 4 smaller tire images with 21, 9, 56, and 27 lbs on them but what is this representing?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, I looked at the tires today and noticed the red dot on the tires is nearly on the opposite side of the valve stem location on 3 of the 4. Researching it, consensus says it should be aligned/on top of the valve stem location for weight/tire balancing purposes. Does that really matter for the balancing?

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
Also, I looked at the tires today and noticed the red dot on the tires is nearly on the opposite side of the valve stem location on 3 of the 4. Researching it, consensus says it should be aligned/on top of the valve stem location for weight/tire balancing purposes. Does that really matter for the balancing?
You are still able to balance a tire even if it's installed incorrectly (i.e., red dot not matching the recommended rim position), it just requires more weight.
But I'd go back to installers and challenge them on their thinking process (more weight on wheels = tougher to balance and more stress on the suspension components) and make them re-install and rebalance the tires correctly and see if it helps.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
The context of the numbers. What should be under 26lbs? I see on the pics of the 4 smaller tire images with 21, 9, 56, and 27 lbs on them but what is this representing?
The numbers are the values of the roadforce measurements generated by the Hunter machine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: Had the tires balanced/fixed at another location for $33. They run fine now with no shake. The mechanic said they probably balanced them wrong the 1st time, just moved them around on the car the 2nd time I brought it in as no sticky weight residue was on the inner wheels if they took off/change the weight locations. So basically I paid 80 bucks to get my tpms programmed to the car, my side steps bent upwards twice from them not paying attention when they lifted the car and a bunch of time wasted/chips in the wheels clear coat from their monkey work mounting.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
I've had bad experiences too with that sort of thing, like a place that specializes in alignments aligning out of spec. Had to go back three times. Never again. Found another place.

Glad you finally solved it and it wasn't something much worse and costlier.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
So basically I paid 80 bucks to get my tpms programmed to the car, my side steps bent upwards twice from them not paying attention when they lifted the car and a bunch of time wasted/chips in the wheels clear coat from their monkey work mounting.
Not a place for future work on the Pilot I hope :mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts