Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2017 Pilot Elite I noticed the steering wheel is a little to the right when I'm in the seat. Huh? Thought a steering wheel was always aligned with the center of a seat.

Anybody else notice this?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
On my 2017 Pilot Elite I noticed the steering wheel is a little to the right when I'm in the seat. Huh? Thought a steering wheel was always aligned with the center of a seat.

Anybody else notice this?
Not supposed to be off center. Did you buy it used that way? Obviously the steering wheel has been remove and reinstalled off center. I can't imagine a dealership would sell it new that way, but there's always a first time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not supposed to be off center. Did you buy it used that way? Obviously the steering wheel has been remove and reinstalled off center. I can't imagine a dealership would sell it new that way, but there's always a first time.
Hmm. Yeah bought it used. It's possible to move the steering wheel laterally? Also maybe the seat has been moved left?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Hmm. Yeah bought it used. It's possible to move the steering wheel laterally? Also maybe the seat has been moved left?
Oh, I'm sorry, I assumed that you meant the steering wheel was not centered as in this photo.

I have no answer if the entire steering wheel is not centered with the seat.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Was this vehicle ever in an accident? I'm still wondering what's going on. Could a photo prove your topic?

·
Registered
64 Posts
If there was no incident and steering wheel not flimsy I think the seat is what actually moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't know specifically about the Pilot, but having a steering wheel not perfectly lined up with the seat is VERY common with many cars. The most common situation is where the steering wheel is aligned with a steering column that is slightly canted towards the center of the car, thus the steering wheel plane is slightly canted as well. In other cases the steering wheel is aligned with seat, but offset slightly towards the center of the car. It is a done this way because of packaging issues with respect to the seat, doors, wheel well, and the routing of the steering system components. It also may have something to do with airbag deployment and crash safety.

This designed-in misalignment is usually pretty minor and most drivers never notice it. But if the car is one of the "worst" ones, it can be pretty obvious and very much impact the driving position.

Again, I have no hard info on the Pilot and never noticed the problem on my 2006. But it's very possible what you're seeing is the way it has been designed.

- Mark

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts
I don't know specifically about the Pilot, but having a steering wheel not perfectly lined up with the seat is VERY common with many cars. The most common situation is where the steering wheel is aligned with a steering column that is slightly canted towards the center of the car, thus the steering wheel plane is slightly canted as well. In other cases the steering wheel is aligned with seat, but offset slightly towards the center of the car. It is a done this way because of packaging issues with respect to the seat, doors, wheel well, and the routing of the steering system components. It also may have something to do with airbag deployment and crash safety.

This designed-in misalignment is usually pretty minor and most drivers never notice it. But if the car is one of the "worst" ones, it can be pretty obvious and very much impact the driving position.

Again, I have no hard info on the Pilot and never noticed the problem on my 2006. But it's very possible what you're seeing is the way it has been designed.

- Mark

Not surprised your photo was an Audi.... I bet at least one of the windows or door locks don't work either.

:poop:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts