Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think it might have to some with the shape of the wheel where you place your hands, where the stitching is and where your seat and steering wheel is adjusted.

I was noticing yesterday on a 5 hour round trip that my hands were getting less comfortable than in my Sonata on the same trip. The stitching at about 10 and 2 goes right around where my hands are often but is more bumped out if that makes sense. The wheel where holding it also feels a bit oval to shape not round where you wrap your fingers and thumb.

I did try to adjust how far out wheel was and angle but didn't help much. Once you notice something annoying it's hard to miss.

Maybe the Sonata used to be that way also but after 200k has gotten better, it also feels slight thicker diameter IMO.

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I find the steering wheel has a very different feel from the other cars I’ve owned. I use a silicone steering wheel cover ($5 from eBay) which makes the wheel softer and with improved grip.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think I know why some may find the steering wheel uncomfortable — it’s slippery.

Consequently, the slickness may cause some drivers to grab the wheel with more force causing their hands to feel fatigued.

That’s my guess.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think I know why some may find the steering wheel uncomfortable — it’s slippery.

Consequently, the slickness may cause some drivers to grab the wheel with more force causing their hands to feel fatigued.

That’s my guess.
That's exactly why we put a cover on ours.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Would be nice if the wheel was thicker. Contemplating a cover myself but they always look so janky.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
little confused on why would you invest / purchase a vehicle that you find the steering wheel uncomfortable ?

·
Registered
336 Posts
little confused on why would you invest / purchase a vehicle that you find the steering wheel uncomfortable ?
Not something you might notice during test drives since all is new. Might not even realize for a while and what it might be. The rest of vehicle also plays into pro's and con's and different wheel not an option, take it or leave it. Unless you can take LONG drive by renting other vehicles for a day or two before you buy you might never notice.

I test drove a VW Atlas and both my wife felt odd while driving. There is no where to rest your arm on drivers left. door armrest is very low. Window ledge is very high (like arm almost 90 degrees out high). We had to sit in it a couple times to realize what was bothering us during test drive.

Ford Explorer. Front wheel well cuts in tight. You can't put both feet straight out in front of you. As passenger you can cross your feet or right foot has to go to floor unless you angle. My 5'4" wife said no way would she want to deal with that on a trip. Ford Explorers are everywhere so obviously others aren't bothered.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After recently driving a Grand Cherokee with a thicker and softer steering wheel I realized that the pilot leather wrapped wheel is not a comfortable to me..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts