Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my EXL/RES in Ohio and drove it back to Mass (saved a bundle!). During the drive I noticed many of the problems posted on the board; wind vibration, poor headrests, tricky stereo, etc...

One thing I noticed and was wondering if anyone else had similar experience is the poor fit and finish of the steering wheel.

My leather wrap is not tight so it feels "puffy" in areas and the leather gathers under my fingers. Also, the painted plastic has spots and shades of varying tones, like it was never painted perfectly.

I'm sure the dealer will end up replacing the wheel when they see it themselves. Anyone else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
kfeder said:
Just picked up my EXL/RES in Ohio and drove it back to Mass (saved a bundle!). During the drive I noticed many of the problems posted on the board; wind vibration, poor headrests, tricky stereo, etc...

One thing I noticed and was wondering if anyone else had similar experience is the poor fit and finish of the steering wheel.

My leather wrap is not tight so it feels "puffy" in areas and the leather gathers under my fingers. Also, the painted plastic has spots and shades of varying tones, like it was never painted perfectly.

I'm sure the dealer will end up replacing the wheel when they see it themselves. Anyone else?
You must have had your Honda Pilot manufactured by someone different than mine - I have none of the symptoms or problems you mention - have over 10K miles on it now - and as I have previously mentioned on this forum, it is the most error free vehicle I have ever purchased - also, fit and finish is best I've seen - no small feat considering over 40 vehicles. If I experienced the problems you noted with the steering sheel, I would have refused the vehicle at delivery.

bakerlar:1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
kfeder said:
Just picked up my EXL/RES in Ohio and drove it back to Mass (saved a bundle!). During the drive I noticed many of the problems posted on the board; wind vibration, poor headrests, tricky stereo, etc...

One thing I noticed and was wondering if anyone else had similar experience is the poor fit and finish of the steering wheel.

My leather wrap is not tight so it feels "puffy" in areas and the leather gathers under my fingers. Also, the painted plastic has spots and shades of varying tones, like it was never painted perfectly.

I'm sure the dealer will end up replacing the wheel when they see it themselves. Anyone else?
no mine has no such problems...take it to the daeler and have hem replace the stering wheel...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
bring it to the dealer.. no vibrations at 70 for me....fit and finish is perfect. as a matter of fact I think the steering wheel is the best looking wheel on any vehicle and like any radio, U gotta get use to it>> in a couple days you will have it all figured out>>>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
kfeder: Did you ever get your steering wheel problem straightened out??? :confused: Somebody on E-Bay is selling one: Honda Pilot factory leather steering wheel!!
Item # 2411139951
Buy It Now for US $179.00

"Up for sale is a brand new, dark gray leather steering wheel that will fit any Honda Pilot! This is not a cheap leather wrap, but the whole steering wheel, factory wrapped and stitched in fine perforated leather by Honda. You cannot buy this from Honda unless you want to pay hundreds of dollars. You will not believe the comfort and grip this wheel provides compared to the standard non leather wheel. I will provide instructions so that you may do the installation yourself, (all you need is a #25 torx, flathead and phillips screwdrivers) or you can take it to any Honda dealer and they will gladly put it on for you. This is a luxury, rare item and I have set a reserve accordingly. You already have the bells and whistles on your Honda Pilot, all you are missing is this wheel!"
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to the dealer

So, I went to the dealer and they said that the leather is "normal". I can't believe it because only one side of the wheel, the right, has this effect. They also said that it will shrink. I also don't believe that becuase right now the air is very dry here in MA, so I can't see it shrinking any more. We agreed to keep monitoring the situation, but I may fight for a replacement.

The painted plastic is ordered and will be replaced.

Anyone know of a replacement wheel w/out leather or woodgrain? Maybe a carbon-fiber? I love the feel of the smooth woodgrain, but I don't want that look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
replacement

Has anyone replaced the steering wheel on their own? I would like to change the one in my LX with a leather piece. I've seen some take offs on ebay for around 50 bucks shipped.

Just wondering how tough this would be, I've done a lot of things, but have never messed with an airbag system.

Thanks in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
Re: replacement

mchan said:
...Just wondering how tough this would be, I've done a lot of things, but have never messed with an airbag system.

Thanks in advance
Seems kind of risky. Disconnect the battery for sure. One wrong short and you'll be buying a new airbag module.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
I wouldn't do the work myself

on changing out the Pilot's steering wheel...

Messing around with the air bag is not something I would even consider. Perhaps our resident Honda Tech can shed some light on this?

Is changing out the steering wheel with a non-deployed airbag a job a competent DIY'er can do? Or is it best left to Honda Techs?

-Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Not really that risky. disconnect the battery before beginning any steering wheel removal. Once the wheel has been replaced / modified / switched, make sure all connections are identical to before removing the steering wheel. Then re-connect the battery.

The instructions for installing the wood steering wheel should shed some light on the subject: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/03pilot/woodwheel.pdf

Don't know that it is something that I would tackle, but certainly not an impossible task
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
FamilyGuy said:
Not really that risky. disconnect the battery before beginning any steering wheel removal. Once the wheel has been replaced / modified / switched, make sure all connections are identical to before removing the steering wheel. Then re-connect the battery.
Family is correct. It is NOT a big deal. I have worked around airbags several times without a problem. Like the instructions say, just remember to disconnect the battery before you start.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top