Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed, right before we sold our Pilot that the steering wheel accents (circled in the picture below) were worn. The paint was gone and only black remained on the edges.

I also noticed the same around the door lock/power window switches. I remember when we first took delivery of the Pilot thinking about how long those "accent" pieces would last looking so good.:p ;) But our Pilot only had 13k miles when we sold it. I wish I had taken some pictures of it before hand, but maybe some of you have experienced this as well?:confused:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That's a new one! Thanks for the heads up. Probably wouldn't notice it unitil really looking. Is it on the brushed silver part? The silver is coming off? If so, wonder if the brushed silver trim package would do the same thing. :confused:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
should be covered in the warrenty or not??

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sage said:
The silver is coming off? If so, wonder if the brushed silver trim package would do the same thing. :confused:
I guess it's the silver. Always thought of it as a bronze finish, but nonetheless, yes, it wears. At least ours was/is.:rolleyes: :p

Not sure if the warranty covergae would matter if it continues. One thing is for sure, it's going to look horrid with 30k+ miles.:eek:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
just a guess but some advise:

Dont use strong chemicals on the silver and specially leather polishes....I have had interior paint come off before due to a leather polish...

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Even on the firstday I got my Pilot, that was one of the concerns that immediately popped into my mind. I even thought of applying some kinda transparent/protective coating or adhesive on those buttons. But I never expected them to wear out so quickly for some people.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Here's what you do...

Use your Pilot to its full potential for about 2 1/2 years or 30k miles. THEN, you take it to your Honda dealer and get all the work done you want under warranty.

Make sure to include items like the saggy leather, the leaky washer nozzles, scrunching seals, the faded paint on the plastic, etc. Any and all gripes I have with the vehicle, I will bring up once Honda has had enough experience fixing these things properly.

These people that bring their Pilots in and have their dealer use it as a guinea pig are crazy. Case in point…Honda techs using painter’s tape as an acceptable solution to the scrunch issue. Are you kidding me???

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
airgate said:
I noticed, right before we sold our Pilot that the steering wheel accents (circled in the picture below) were worn. The paint was gone and only black remained on the edges....
airgate,
Do you remember the worn areas on the steering wheel being mainly around the radio and cruise controls or all over?
Do you think it is mainly from your thumbs operating the controls or do you grab the inside of the wheel when you turn?
Just wondering, thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Steering Wheel Accents Wear Quickly (Pic)

tim.s said:
airgate,
Do you remember the worn areas on the steering wheel being mainly around the radio and cruise controls or all over?
Do you think it is mainly from your thumbs operating the controls or do you grab the inside of the wheel when you turn?
Just wondering, thanks.
Well, my wife was the main driver of the Pilot and I believe it's just where her hands ended up resting for the duration of her drive. I'm sure other folks have this same thing.

No chemicals have been used on the effected areas so that's not the culprit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got my Pilot in 10/02. Has 4500 miles on it. I have the wear marks on the steering wheel. I thought it was odd also. Especially since we don't actually touch this part directly. I think my knuckles might rub it while driving. I too have used no chemicals on the surfaces.

Wade

·
Registered
310 Posts
HONDA IS NOT USING PAINTER'S TAPE FOR THE SCRUNCH

MG Pilot said:
These people that bring their Pilots in and have their dealer use it as a guinea pig are crazy. Case in point…Honda techs using painter’s tape as an acceptable solution to the scrunch issue. Are you kidding me???

Hooooooold on there big fella. :eek:

I agree with your post except that your facts aren't straight in this regard. I, not Honda, came up with painter's tape as a diagnostic/patch, not a solution, for the scrunch problem. It was ugly and obtrusive--but it got the &*^%$%% scrunch out of my ear until such time as I could (1) determine that changing the surfaces between the seal and the door could fix the problem and (2) take my Pilot in for its first maintenance.

My dealer subsequently replaced the painters' tape with what I was told was silicone tape. It looks like a pinstripe and matches my White Pilot so perfectly as to be almost invisible. So far, so good.

Again, I totally agree about waiting to get small things fixed--but Honda is not, I repeat not, applying painter's tape to fix the scrunch.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not the only one

Well, looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. Yeah, I've got the silver accent wearing out on the left side of the steering wheel and around the door handle / lock area too (on driver side -- so may be my hand there). It's not a big deal, and I suppose eventually they wear out. I'm disappointed that it happens so soon though, I mean the Pilot is still new (got mine in June 2002).

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If you regularly put hand cream on your hands and then rest your hands on these areas the hand cream will affect the silver coating on these parts. It reminds me of one summer on course up in Petawawa when I sprayed some "bug juice" on my arms and the spray melted the face on my watch. I can only imagine what it did to the bugs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts