Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stay Away From RockAuto

14K views 101 replies 26 participants last post by  Maritime 
#1 ·
Worst company I've dealt with. Several bad parts and no customer service. Better off signing up for AutoZone rewards and shopping there. You've been warned!

#49 ·
Thanks for the info I’ll be more careful with them. So far good luck here but returns do suck. The sad thing here the 4 main shops Orliey - Autozone - Advance - and Napa are all about the same price. And can’t get close to the price from rock. A good example was a rear CV seal on rock was 6$. I needed it now went t Oriley they didn’t know what I wanted so I showed them the deal on rock for 6$ they literally typed in the part number from rock said I have that and charged me $15 for it....

#55 · (Edited)
Edit** I just clicked the tax link in RA and it does say there the shipping fee includes all taxes and duty if they show the tax ID# etc and they do. that makes me feel better. Waiting now for our annual work bonuses to pull the trigger then spend the weekend after the stuff arrives refreshing the entire suspension on the truck.

That's what I am talking about. There is no brokerage charged by customs on personal goods so DHL/FEDEX and UPS are making those charges up and are just holding your stuff hostage. USPS is always safe, if you've paid the Provincial tax there never is extra fees. I'm now looking at adding the front struts and mounts to the shipment and the cost has gone up LOL. I do not want to get dinged for extra if I order but to buy local here or from a Canadian online store it's more than double, and that it brand for brand, part# to part#. As for checking the shipping option on both Amazon and Ebay they tell you when there is no extra fees, RA doesn't so it's still a bit of a gamble.

#56 ·
Nah, you still pay GST/HST as well as duty (typically, 12% on car parts), even as an individual, at least you do on anything coming from Europe. Parts from US/Mexico, perhaps, have some exemption due to NAFTA.
We're screwed because the limit for cross-border purchase for Canadians is either set to duty-free allowance when you're crossing the border yourself with the goods, or to a ridiculously low amount of CAD20 for anything you buy on interweb. So, we pay GST/HST and duty on that (if there's duty to be assessed on goods based on HST code, selected by the importer). This issue has been raised continuously by the importers/exporters and swept under the rug by every single sitting PM.

#57 ·
NAFTA has been replaced by the CUSMA or USMCA, however you want to call it. Allegedly, since it came into effect July 1st...

Cross-border shipments of online purchases to Canada worth less than $150 will no longer be subject to duties. The deal raises the minimum purchase price that qualifies for duties and taxes, known as the de minimis threshold. It used to be $20 before duty was charged, and similarly the threshold for taxes is now $40.
As the new NAFTA comes into effect, here's what it means for Canada

#60 ·
I've had a few issues with RockAuto, but only when I did not get around to doing the installation promptly and the purchase slid outside of the return window.

With most purchases, the parts arrive quickly and are very high quality. I avoid retail joints like O'Reilly and AutoZone like the plague. Long ago learned that most of what they sell is inferior.

I do, when in a hurry shop NAPA and Advance Auto, but they are always quote a bit more expensive than RockAuto and generally do not have the range of parts that RA does.

#61 ·
I want to report a recent good experience with RockAuto. I bought an aftermarket transmission pan for my BMW, but it had fitment issues. RockAuto took it back for store credit ($90). They did show some kindness even after I attempted to install. It did help that it was a known issue with this particular aftermarket part.

#62 ·
The parts in my video were from Rockauto, they shipped out new parts, didn't require the old ones back. A couple parts that I have bought failed quickly and were outside of the return window.

Here's the deal, if you get SUPER good pricing, there will be minimal customer service, no matter the place or type of business. You just can't cut prices without service being affected.

#64 ·
I have never had a problem with any of the parts I have bought from them over the years. My most recent was a Denso Alternator for the pilot and it was perfect. I also don't mind their website, I have not had any issues finding what I was looking for, and they have lots of older, sometime oem parts for my old 1974 Chevy.
All my experiences have been good.

#68 ·
👍👍👍
Comment #19 ⬆.
Huge price difference. Chain store 20% off of already marked up 100% items is not exactly fair. I don't feel compelled to support a business with their hands deep deep down in my pockets. Yes, I'd expect to pay more, but not that much more. They either trying to poke my eyes or their not buying right.

#72 ·
Because I don't have a fleet of vehicles to maintain, I feel more compelled to support a local business that is involved in my community. They know me, my cars and have good knowledge. If the price difference was huge, I would probably buy it from RockAuto. Some things NAPA makes aren't good quality. Thankfully at this point, I haven't had to fix too many things.

I'll give an example. I had headlights burn out a month ago. I know I could buy them on Amazon for $15 but I didn't want to wait and I didn't want to drive around without headlights. NAPA had them for $32 for a pair. Yeah I paid more, but wasn't a big enough difference for me to split hairs over.

#73 ·
Because I don't have a fleet of vehicles to maintain, I feel more compelled to support a local business that is involved in my community. They know me, my cars and have good knowledge. If the price difference was huge, I would probably buy it from RockAuto. Some things NAPA makes aren't good quality. Thankfully at this point, I haven't had to fix too many things.

I'll give an example. I had headlights burn out a month ago. I know I could buy them on Amazon for $15 but I didn't want to wait and I didn't want to drive around without headlights. NAPA had them for $32 for a pair. Yeah I paid more, but wasn't a big enough difference for me to split hairs over.
Jack, I was resetting my ABS on my civic and crossed 8 and 13 by mistake. Do you know what fuse I blew? Thanks Jack

#75 ·
But you had to get a Jeep Fiat for them. I just keep buying refrigerators. :D

(Who was is who posted a Scooby Doo ghost unmasking meme where the Jeep hood was removed to reveal a Fiat? :D)

#76 ·
My Jeep was before the merger not that it makes a difference🤞. I knew what I was getting into when buying a Jeep so I keep my wallet fully engaged locked+loaded for mods and maintenance. So far it’s been reliable despite several Jeep treks and dips in water. It’s a Jeep thing and you might not understand :p
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Jeep

#79 ·
AutoZone having a deal on oil right now. 5qrts plus filter $35 but they giving $10 store credit with purchase. So $25 oil change!

Just picked up a buncha radiator hoses and lines from Amazon. $15 cheaper than Rock and I got everything next day. Free returns if I need and someone on the other line to help. But heck to be honest that is tough finding almost anywhere else in the era of covid. Even PayPal is impossible to get in touch with these days.

#84 ·
I just can't be talked into Rock anymore. I mean it's not like they are giving away these parts to have to deal with their chitty service. I'm still in awe how I exchanged my front shock to AutoZone for replacement and I didn't even buy it there! Rock wanted to charge me return shipping. Haa!

#88 ·
AutoZone is about a 20 mile drive for me. That's good to know they will price match RA. O'Reilly's will not. But in this case AutoZone did not have a matching part. The brand they had was insanely priced! Worse than O'Reilly's! This is robbery on their store brand Duralast part!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.