Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Hey Neil, check with your local parts suppliers, like the ones that service the local shops. Ask if the have a membership discount or something of the like. Found a few spots near me that gives 20-40% off if you have an account with them.
See post #19. Can't come close.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,767 Posts
5% disc -$17.76
5% Discount Code: 3AE5CBE8F18A03
Expires: November 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.
There's another thing I learned through trial and error. Remember to enter your discount code before you place your order. Otherwise...

That's why when from time to time I remind members to claim their 5% discount, I don't just post the code, but those sine qua non instructions as well. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Next project I do I'll post price comparisons. My sitch may be a bit different as I have almost every parts supplier within 15min of me. AutoZone has been good but they are pricey on certain items. Though it has been evening out with the 20% off, member rewards and rebates. Just gotta shop right, even if it takes making multiple orders.

I just bought wires for my mothers truck. AcDelco and I got cheaper at autozone than what Rock has listed for. So like you and others have said shop there for certain items but if I have to shop online I'll go ebay or amazon even if the price is 10-20% more.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Oh by the way..... Guy at AutoZone today got a RockAuto price match on in store purchase! Like you just gotta be a savvy shopper and local will even out. Again if local is an option.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here is a comparison a few items if I were doing some maintanance on your vehicle, RockAuto vs Napa.

RockAuto
SMP EGR valve $94.89
Aisin TB WP kit $162.79
NGK OE SpPlugs $71.16
Wix Air Filter $12.70
Bando Dr Belt $13.75
Sub Total $355.29
Shipping $21.98
5% disc -$17.76
Grand Total $359.51

Nappa
Ech EGR valve $148.99
Aisin TB WP kit $272.99
NGK OE SpPlugs $113.94
NapGld Air Filter $23.49
Bando Dr Belt $43.99
Sub Total $603.40
Shipping $ 0
20% discount -$120.68
Grand Total $482.72

RockAuto wins by $123.21

I had to take a quick look and this is what I found on first search. Took me longer to copy and paste lol.

EGR -

Aisin TB WP kit -

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
There's another thing I learned through trial and error. Remember to enter your discount code before you place your order. Otherwise...

That's why when from time to time I remind members to claim their 5% discount, I don't just post the code, but those sine qua non instructions as well. Ask me how I know.
Yes, Once you enter the code you have to tap the shipping to get it to recalculate the -5%.
Learned that the hard way to.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Reportedly there is a concern about genuine brand name products sourced from eBay and Amazon. Buyer beware is good advice.
Many name brand parts are sold and shipped by Amazon. This is a way to avoid the fakes. You have to look for these or risk getting bad product.
Some sellers on both E-bay and Amazon use part numbers like TK002 which is an Aisin timing belt water pump kit number, but they do not advertise the Aisin name. These are likely fakes.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
I had to take a quick look and this is what I found on first search. Took me longer to copy and paste lol.

EGR -

$45.79 on RockAuto
Aisin TB WP kit -

This is not an Aisin Kit. It has an Aisin water pump in it. I would not buy this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This would be infinity more helpful for others if you shared your issues with the vendor as oppose to your emotions.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
This would be infinity more helpful for others if you shared your issues with the vendor as oppose to your emotions.
Sometimes RockAuto closes that door with no way to re-open it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Many name brand parts are sold and shipped by Amazon. This is a way to avoid the fakes. You have to look for these or risk getting bad product.
Some sellers on both E-bay and Amazon use part numbers like TK002 which is an Aisin timing belt water pump kit number, but they do not advertise the Aisin name. These are likely fakes.
Nowadays even if you buy a "sold and shipped by Amazon" product you risk getting a counterfeit. This is because Amazon stocks third-party items with the same SKU code (which could be fake) together with the ones sold by Amazon. They make no distinction at the warehouse who sells the product as long as they have the same SKU code. So you can buy from Amazon and STILL get a fake product.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,487 Posts
Here is a comparison a few items if I were doing some maintanance on your vehicle, RockAuto vs Napa.

RockAuto
SMP EGR valve $94.89
Aisin TB WP kit $162.79
NGK OE SpPlugs $71.16
Wix Air Filter $12.70
Bando Dr Belt $13.75
Sub Total $355.29
Shipping $21.98
5% disc -$17.76
Grand Total $359.51

Nappa
Ech EGR valve $148.99
Aisin TB WP kit $272.99
NGK OE SpPlugs $113.94
NapGld Air Filter $23.49
Bando Dr Belt $43.99
Sub Total $603.40
Shipping $ 0
20% discount -$120.68
Grand Total $482.72

RockAuto wins by $123.21
I don’t doubt Rock auto is cheaper. Just the convenience of same day purchasing/living 5 miles away from a hub makes it worth it sometimes. I only have 2 vehicles to worry about so it’s different when you have a whole fleet.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
I don’t doubt Rock auto is cheaper. Just the convenience of same day purchasing/living 5 miles away from a hub makes it worth it sometimes. I only have 2 vehicles to worry about so it’s different when you have a whole fleet.
This was 5 items you may want to do to a single car. Who doesn't like to save $120? With just a little planning ahead, you save BIG. But yes, with 10 vehicles that $120 turns into $1200.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Nowadays even if you buy a "sold and shipped by Amazon" product you risk getting a counterfeit. This is because Amazon stocks third-party items with the same SKU code (which could be fake) together with the ones sold by Amazon. They make no distinction at the warehouse who sells the product as long as they have the same SKU code. So you can buy from Amazon and STILL get a fake product.
Not saying it isn't possible, I've not had this problem. I did order some NGK Laser Iridium plugs from Amazon just prior to joining this forum and there was a lot of talk about fake NGKs from them. I was worried, So I went and pulled my plugs to examine. My NGKs were made in JAPAN. Obviously bootlegged to the U.S. some how.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
Sorry, but within the last couple of years, Amazon transformed into a front shop for Alibaba (aka Ali Express). You literally need to flip through the first couple of pages of search results, past all those "GoodCarLucky123ShenzhenXijiang" brand names to get to the decent stuff. It's the exact same crap they sell on Ali Express, just distributed via Amazon network. It's the Ali Express for snobs as I call it.
Any time I need parts, I shop around, i check RA, I check all other online shops, I call local shops, and 8 times out of 10 RA offers best price for the same item, and can get them to me in 2-3 days, even now. Plus, call me old fashioned, but I like their website, reminds me of websites I used to build myself back in Netscape Navigator days.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
My experiences have been mostly good on Rock Auto... I tend to use them for a lot of actual parts, where fluids and filters come from Amazon or Walmart. Only part I really had an issue with was an AC compressor for the Sonata... the instructions that came with it said it was prefilled with lubricant while the website info said it didn't, I spent 2 hours on the phone and basically got nowhere with resolving it. I decided to add in the lubricant and haven't had an issue for 2 years now.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
But the website also looks really sketchy:ROFLMAO:
Told ya - it throws me back to the days when all websites looked sketchy, pretty much all of internet looked like what Darknet looks like now.
And when you thought you were downloading the latest RHCP album but got Rickrolled instead or dowloaded some virus that nuked your PC and your entire life along with it (and, possibly, gave you that Herpes, although that could also have been Brittany or one of the thousands of Michelles that seemed to just have been everywhere) :p
Good times.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rock auto is fine as long as nothing goes wrong. I have ordered for years with no issues. But just went thru a hell of an annoying time convincing them they charged me for something they never shipped. I will still order from them but I would not expect much from customer service. Basically if it goes outside their automated systems everything goes to pot.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts