Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worst company I've dealt with. Several bad parts and no customer service. Better off signing up for AutoZone rewards and shopping there. You've been warned!

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EX FWD Silver
7 Posts
I'm curious to hear specifically what happened that makes you say this. I've had quite the contrary experience, in buying thousands of dollars of parts I've only had one bad part and the customer service was excellent, they overnighted me a new part.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
605 Posts
Worst company I've dealt with. Several bad parts and no customer service. Better off signing up for AutoZone rewards and shopping there. You've been warned!
Curious too. They accepted my spark plugs back after believing they were causing my misfires. I had no way to validate they were or were not knock offs. They gave me all my money back and were very responsive. Let’s hear your side 👍

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
Yep, I have a Love/Hate relationship with them. I place orders fairly regularly on maintanance items, but they are not getting all my business because of a lack of customer service and trust issues. They have unjustly made me take a loss on several occasions. But for me overall, servicing multiple vehicles, they have saved me thousands. If you know what you need they are great. Don't roll the dice with them, you will loose.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off they want me to pay return shipping on a bad strut. No prompt for me to send in my caliper cores. No phone number to call. Money is tied up in returns, money that I can't spare at moment. So many downsides to shopping with them that I didn't consider as a new wrencher.

I'm finding parts for same price locally so what's the reason to shop with Rock if your not 20miles+ away from parts stores? Which I'm not.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Neil, check with your local parts suppliers, like the ones that service the local shops. Ask if the have a membership discount or something of the like. Found a few spots near me that gives 20-40% off if you have an account with them.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,165 Posts
Click bait titles with nothing to support the statement raises the probability of thread closure.

Lets see the parts you are talking about, and whatever problem. I've ordered many items from them over the years. However I never order mechanical type items from them. I prefer whenever possible to use local knowledgeable stores for mechanical items. Rockauto has been my go to for things like filters, spark plug wires distributor caps/rotors etc.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
Hey Neil, check with your local parts suppliers, like the ones that service the local shops. Ask if the have a membership discount or something of the like. Found a few spots near me that gives 20-40% off if you have an account with them.
I've got an O'Reilly's and an independent near me. The other big names are a much further drive.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
Click bait titles with nothing to support the statement raises the probability of thread closure.

Lets see the parts you are talking about, and whatever problem. I've ordered many items from them over the years. However I never order mechanical type items from them. I prefer whenever possible to use local knowledgeable stores for mechanical items. Rockauto has been my go to for things like filters, spark plug wires distributor caps/rotors etc.
I'll give you an example. I was ordering 3 cabin air filters for Nissan NV3500 vans. As listed as a fitment for these vehicles. Opened a pack to try to install, they did not fit. After further research, the item is for a Nissan Fronteer. You could blame me for not checking part numbers, alright, fine, even though they should be partially to blame becsuse the part is listed under Nissan NVs. Here's where their lack of customer service and trust issues come in to play. Keep in mind, I got 3 of these to return. I begin answering their questions to set up a return. You come to "Why do you want to return the part?" You select "It does not fit." Then they ask "Did you try to install it." Being honest I answered "Yes." Then you get the message "Not returnable since the part was partially installed!" I'm like what? You sent me something that was shown to fit! So ok, I'll return the two I didn't open. Nope all three are flagged as "Un-returnable." Pitched them in the trash and moved on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Now if that's not a sponsored response I don't know what is. I gave you several examples of why not to shop there. If you need pics check my other threads. I still don't know which boot is on backwards and which is on right because they don't have a freakin phone number. Called KYB and they told me to bring it to a local dealer of theirs for replacement, free of charge. Now that's customer support. Powerstop asked me to email Rock about the calipers and if no response they will fix issue somehow?.... Again if you don't have local shops then yeah order away but if you do it's just not worth it.

Delete as you may but I highly doubt sensoring will be appreciated by the members here.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts

I'll give you an example. I was ordering 3 cabin air filters for Nissan NV3500 vans. As listed as a fitment for these vehicles. Opened a pack to try to install, they did not fit. After further research, the item is for a Nissan Fronteer. You could blame me for not checking part numbers, alright, fine, even though they should be partially to blame becsuse the part is listed under Nissan NVs. Here's where their lack of customer service and trust issues come in to play. Keep in mind, I got 3 of these to return. I begin answering their questions to set up a return. You come to "Why do you want to return the part?" You select "It does not fit." Then they ask "Did you try to install it." Being honest I answered "Yes." Then you get the message "Not returnable since the part was partially installed!" I'm like what? You sent me something that was shown to fit! So ok, I'll return the two I didn't open. Nope all three are flagged as "Un-returnable." Pitched them in the trash and moved on.
Here is more proof. ATP part # CF10 is still listed as the correct part for my vehicle. It's also listed for the Nissan Fronteer. This part # is not listed for a 2015 model which is unchanged from 2014. @RockAuto owes me $20 on this one.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
Being a Canuck, I still like RockAuto. True, if you get a bad part, like I did once (was a Dorman hub that had signs of someone attempting to install it and botching it in the process), returning it is not easy.

But we here in Canada are not exactly spoiled with great customer service. Just about all other local online suppliers suck a fat one too. I am fortunate enough to be close to a local Honda OEM supplier that's been great to work with for original parts. For any parts that have a core charge I would also typically go to a local supplier. Having said that, I'm still waiting for my core charge refund from "The Wrench Monkey". Shipped it back to them and never heard a word back. And my order for brake hoses from TDot performance Canada went from being in stock to 3 weeks to now 5 weeks lead time after my order was placed. If they told me from the start that was going to be their lead time, I'd have gone with another local supplier who had them for much less money but on a 4-8 weeks lead time.

So, I just look at RockAuto as the supplier with best prices, I buy parts well ahead of when I plan to do the work, I go through boxes right away to make sure I don't have to return anything. I also just toss away any parts that cost $40 or less. More hassle to deal with a return than what they're worth.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
My Rock Auto experience has been fine 🤞 so far. The KYB struts for my Pilot arrived in beaten broken boxes 📦 but okay otherwise. The KYB strut for the Highlander had a fractured strut bolt and the return process was super ez for an online purchase. One bulky section of exhaust pipe that had shipping damage was also easily returnable. The website could be more user friendly when good customer service is needed. Wish there were coupons or purchase specials as the 5% only helps a bit with shipping charges.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've ordered from them for at least 10 years, and they've been excellent. Best prices around, good customer service, and I've never had to return anything.

I'm sure they have misfires from time to time like most any company does, but I haven't had any issues with them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess maybe I been a ebay/amazon shopper for too long. I expect hassle free returns and someone on the other line to help. Which ebay has been lacking lately and I find myself @ amazon more.... Yes now I am a more savy parts shopper but for anyone who isn't should definitely read this thread before shopping and make educated buys.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
I've ordered from them for at least 10 years, and they've been excellent. Best prices around, good customer service, and I've never had to return anything.

I'm sure they have misfires from time to time like most any company does, but I haven't had any issues with them.
That's the key, never return anything questionable and you'll get along with RA just fine. I've never had a problem with getting what I order. So in that aspect, yes, it's excelent. Their website is easier to use than others who put you in a box.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,481 Posts
I hate their website. Parts I ordered came beat to crap but they were replaced. I prefer to support my local Napa. I don’t need a 5% discount when I can get 20% off at Napa. That way if I need replacement I can get it same day.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,692 Posts
Yep, I have a Love/Hate relationship with them.
Me, too. Love, hate. Mostly love, though, once you learn.

I learned early on that you need to be absolutely sure what you order is what you need, because return shipping is egregious. Also learned that if you miss your 30-day return window because you got parts ahead of time, you will be SOL on returns. Also learned that some of their low-end stuff is crapola, so start shopping with those little hearts they post next to popular items. Also learned that their customer support is the pits.

Other than that, they're fine. :D

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
I hate their website. Parts I ordered came beat to crap but they were replaced. I prefer to support my local Napa. I don’t need a 5% discount when I can get 20% off at Napa. That way if I need replacement I can get it same day.
Here is a comparison a few items if I were doing some maintanance on your vehicle, RockAuto vs Napa.

RockAuto
SMP EGR valve $94.89
Aisin TB WP kit $162.79
NGK OE SpPlugs $71.16
Wix Air Filter $12.70
Bando Dr Belt $13.75
Sub Total $355.29
Shipping $21.98
5% disc -$17.76
Grand Total $359.51

Nappa
Ech EGR valve $148.99
Aisin TB WP kit $272.99
NGK OE SpPlugs $113.94
NapGld Air Filter $23.49
Bando Dr Belt $43.99
Sub Total $603.40
Shipping $ 0
20% discount -$120.68
Grand Total $482.72

RockAuto wins by $123.21

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had mostly good experience with RockAuto. The only time I had to return something was when I ordered a drive shaft for the front wheels for a 1st gen Dodge Durango and they sent me something that did not fit the truck. It was a process, but they eventually took it back and refunded my money. But it was frustrating to throw a weekend away planning to do that work but finding out I needed to reorder the correct part because of their error.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts