Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So they opened a Firestone repair place by me about 8 yrs ago. I used to use them for oil changes, some tires (not for my Pilot) & state inspections - nothing else.

I thought they were great at the start - ease of service - no appointments + local supermarket had coupons on receipts - oil changes were $30. or less OTD - very nice

BUT

ya can't get in without appointment now - no biggie

about a year ago - they cross threaded lugnuts wifes van - I snapped two off doing a brake job. They must have cross threaded about 3 tires - UNREAL!!

a 4 yr old can put on lugnuts

And just today - I went to Honda dealer for oil & trans fluid change - service guy comes out to tell me that drain bolt on oil pan is rounded and had been glued on - WTF!!!

he takes me back to look - yep

Last oil change was at Firestone....

Luckily my bolt just needed replacement & not tapped & re-thread.

Thus - I would stay away from these loons

To be 100% honest here - they did replace wifes vans lug bolts - but I still have issues on other ones.

The services that I was getting from them are Simple Tasks & these problems should never happen!!

Stay Away

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
They only way these days to guarantee the job is done correctly is to do it yourself, if you are mechanically inclined, or find a shop you can really trust.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The sad honest truth is that a lot of shops are like this and it may not be the chain itself but just the laziness of the tech/manager working there. I have only used Firestone for the lifetime alignment on the my 2012 pilot. Thats most likely all I ever use them for. While they didnt do a greta job I just kept coming back until it right. They don’t care, about anything besides money.

I will be getting it on my 2018 when i feel like it and same for the wifes car. Most of these shops hire younger techs just getting into the business and it shows. Ive worked for Mavis Discount Tire, Monro Muffler, STS Tire and Auto center ( sadly now mostly been changed to Mavis shops) and DCH auto Group. All of them had there good techs and bad. Some mostly bad (MAVIS). I always used to get the off brand cars that came in when i was at Toyota and I would the parts dept keep a couple of adjustable drain plugs on hand because 8 out of 10 times they were all messed up.

Even the local shops can be bad. Theres one close to me that has lots of great reviews but I know people that work there and know the dirty secrets but heres a good one for ya....

I purchased a 2008 Subaru Impreza for my wife to commute to work in about a year ago. Needed the basic subaru crap and basic maintenance. I did some myself but due to weather being cold and the always rusted bolts on Subarus I passed it off to a friend at toyota to finish it up for me. Well he made a small booboo that delayed me getting the car so I went and got my wife a newer car and decided to sell the 2008. The whole thing was gone through from changing the wheel from steel to alloy, all maintenance t belt all that crap and head gasket and valves thanks to my friends mistake!

Anyway sold the car to a younger college kid. His dad looked it over and the sale went on. About 3 weeks later I get a call saying it overheated and they took it to their “trusted” mechanic. Said everything I had claimed to do to the car wasn’t done and theres a $3500 bill they want me to pay or they would sue. (sold for $5500) The mechanics they took it to were Metric motors which to most mechanics in this area know the name and not in a good way. Known for scamming people. I still have all the old parts from that car including valves and t belt spark plugs all of it so I wasn’t worried!

Sorry sometimes I just type and don’t stop! Cant trust anyone, try to as much maintance as you can or at the very least watch them like hawks. Ask questions. Its your car they are just working on it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
the thing about most of these repair places is they hire young inexperienced techs and let them go straight to work on customer cars with very little supervision.

They pay very little so the incentive is to upsell huge jobs that pay good commissions but with little experience these seemingly routine jobs get botched

Bottom line is you get what you pay for

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sounds like all of the shops in my area.

I use Firestone's lifetime alignment, even then I've had to make them go fix something. I always tell them when I drop the vehicle off, I know there is an acceptable range but spend the extra 30 seconds and center everything in the range. Having it just inside the acceptable so when I hit a pothole it's now out of alignment does me no good. Sometimes they get to redo the alignment right away, but this is how they learn I suppose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts