Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost everytime I get out of My Pilot I get shocked I:22: when I touch the door frame to shut it. Is anyone else having this problem?

My Pilot has the cloth seats. I've almost always had cloth seats ( like them better than leather), but have never had a problem with static electricity until this car. Both my wife and I get shocked so I don't think it has anything to do with the clothes that we're wearing. Also since I don't get shocked getting in or out of my other cars, I don't think it has anything to do with the weather or road conditions.

Does anyone know of any possible solutions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
I always get shocked everywhere....
In the morning when I open my car (any car)...
when I open doors...

I hate it but have to live with it..guess the weather + may be the way I walk...:2:

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you are getting shocked, be EXTRA careful when putting gas in your Pilot. there has been much publicity on TV around here about several fires at gas stations because of the sparks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We are having the same problem with our family room sofas! When we touch electronics (Tv, lamps, etc.) and each other, sparks actually fly!

I would suggest spraying your seats with static guard. That's what we've done with our sofas and it really helps! Linda

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4603pba said:
If you are getting shocked, be EXTRA careful when putting gas in your Pilot. there has been much publicity on TV around here about several fires at gas stations because of the sparks.
That's one of the main reasons I posted here. A good point from one of the shows I saw recently was to NOT get back into your car after you start pumping gas. They stated that over 70% of the fires at gas stations started when people got out of their car the second time.

Another good point was to not pull the pump nozzle out of the tank. Their tests showed that the fire will usually burn itself out becuase it is just the fumes that usually catch on fire. However when you pull the pump nozzle out, then you have just added liquid gasoline to the problem and the fire gets much bigger.

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
mostly I thought that the static electricity was a problem in cold climes due to dry heated indoors air. Surprised that you are seeing this in Florida too (warm and humid):1:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
kemosabe said:

Really? Hmmm... we don't seem to have that problem at our house....
kemosabe, your pictures are absolutely amazin'

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were some kind of photo editor......

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Ziploc said:

kemosabe, your pictures are absolutely amazin'

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were some kind of photo editor......
No, not a photo editor. I am Kemosabe - I have a fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust and a hearty "Hi Ho Silver, away!" With my faithful Indian companion Tonto, I'm the daring and resourceful masked rider of the plains, leading the fight for law and order in the early west. Return with me now to those thrilling days of yesteryear.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Gas stations in San Diego are recommending that you touch the door frame of your car before pumping gas to eliminate any stored up static electricity. It was a new one on me.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
mewillis said:
Almost every time I get out of My Pilot I get shocked I:22: when I touch the door frame to shut it...Does anyone know of any possible solutions? Thanks in advance.
Well believe it or not, but discharging the static on your door is the safe thing to do if you are getting out to pump gas (as mentioned above).

You might be able to ground your seat to the car body by running a braided copper cord up inside the seat (between the seat foam and the cloth) and then connecting it to the seat's mounting bolt. This should keep you grounded relative to the car frame and prevent you from building up a static charge.

·
Registered
415 Posts
With very low humidity here, static electricity is a part of life. It's very painful when the fingers get the first shock:3:
so I've been used to touching a metal part of the door with my palm - less pain and an instant discharge before I even touch the gas pump.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Re: Re: Static Electricity

tim.s said:
Well believe it or not, but discharging the static on your door is the safe thing to do if you are getting out to pump gas (as mentioned above).

You might be able to ground your seat to the car body by running a braided copper cord up inside the seat (between the seat foam and the cloth) and then connecting it to the seat's mounting bolt. This should keep you grounded relative to the car frame and prevent you from building up a static charge.
Now that seems scary! What happens when you're in a thunderstorm? That might leave a mark!

·
Registered
964 Posts

tim.s said:

A wire from the car's frame to your seat? Now that seems scary! What happens when you're in a thunderstorm? That might leave a mark!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Static Electricity

smurray said:

A wire from the car's frame to your seat? Now that seems scary! What happens when you're in a thunderstorm? That might leave a mark!
The seat is already attached (though not directly) to the frame. :cool:

Attaching a wire would not help. I'm a science teacher, so here's the static electricity lesson for the day:

Friction is one of three ways that an object can become charged. When you exit the Pilot, your clothes are "wiping" electrons off the seat. Thus, you become negatively charged. The first chance your body gets, it will discharge to return to a nuetral charge. Your body will discharge through conduction (another way of charging) with the metal on the Pilot.

Discharging prior to refueling is the safest thing to do :p

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Static Electricity

JungleJim said:
The seat is already attached (though not directly) to the frame. :cool:
Attaching a wire would not help...
But is the foam and seat fabric grounded to the frame somehow? Wouldn't a ground path from the seat fabric to the frame prevent or reduce the build up of the charge differential in the first place?

My earlier suggestion is after the same manner as an heel grounding strap (from a person's foot to the floor) used in anti-static work areas - keeps the person at the same differential as the room to prevent static discharges.

Discharging to the car door is the more sure method, but I was hoping to ease the pain for mewillis and possibly supply a redundant backup (which is part of my job ;)). Oh, well.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Also is been mention that, when you are in the car an move your feet constantly while driving, or your passenger doing something with her or his feet, you accumulate more static.

All weather matt helping on reduce static

So please stop playing with your feet:2: just kidding

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had static electricity coming out of the wazoo ever since I got here in the US. Quite a shocker during winter, seeing a blue arc every time. I tried almost everything to get rid of it, penny in socks, static guard spray, etc. I actually had to get a vehicle with leather seats to lessen it and I usually "knock" on the door before touching it to close it.
I guess we people with this problem have a more "electrifying" personality than most.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Originally posted by Alamat I've had static electricity coming out of the wazoo ever since I got here in the US...
Ouch, that sounds painful :2:
...I guess we people with this problem have a more "electrifying" personality than most.
You don't wear a lot of sweaters do you? ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts

tim.s said:

How about anti-static mat? can get at any office supply store (Office Max, etc.) and can easily cut with a utility knife or scissors.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts