Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently adjusted my valves because all cylinders were misfiring still couldn't get it to start. So I cut the catylic convertor off and she's starting, took a drive for 5 miles and it was slow to accelerate, didn't seem to want to shift and right before I got home hit a stop light and when it turned green went to press the gas pedal and it didn't want to go but two miles an hour. But everytime I released it gave it a lil boost. So got it home and went to take a test drive the next day nothing when I press on the gas. But when I just had it in drive not pressing the pedal it will go slowly. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Wow, lots going on here!

Also- did you hook the throttle cable back up correctly?

cylinders misfiring? Do you mean the codes that say that? Was it running poorly before you adjusted the valves?
Big question. These engines rarely actually NEED the valves adjusted. Sure it can help, but valves tappets a little off do NOT CAUSE a misfire!

If it ran OK before adjustment, are you SURE of your work on the valve adjust?

And - You cut the Cat off and then it ran? holy hell - alot going on here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The codes said all cylinders misfire. It's a direct fuel so no cable. And it would die the first couple tries when I stopped at stop signs. But the rest of the day it'd run fine. So I have ended up doing the valve change cut the cat and surprisingly it starts and stays running now. And yea I'm sure of my work. Double checked and triple checked. Made sure I was tdc every cylinder. Recent code scan says only 1 and 3 are misfiring. And yea this is strange for me. It's my newest vehicle to work on. Ive checked my gaps on plugs, I've cleaned the air intake manifold and sensors attached. The valves definitely needed adjusting.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The codes said all cylinders misfire. It's a direct fuel so no cable. And it would die the first couple tries when I stopped at stop signs. But the rest of the day it'd run fine. So I have ended up doing the valve change cut the cat and surprisingly it starts and stays running now. And yea I'm sure of my work. Double checked and triple checked. Made sure I was tdc every cylinder. Recent code scan says only 1 and 3 are misfiring. And yea this is strange for me. It's my newest vehicle to work on. Ive checked my gaps on plugs, I've cleaned the air intake manifold and sensors attached. The valves definitely needed adjusting.
A direct fuel, as in drive by wire no cable? Sometimes it idles and runs fine?
Why and what made you cut the cat, as in cutting it out of the system by a muffler shop? ?

I'm waiting for someone that knows something to jump in here? Guys, Gals?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, lots going on here!

Also- did you hook the throttle cable back up correctly?

cylinders misfiring? Do you mean the codes that say that? Was it running poorly before you adjusted the valves?
Big question. These engines rarely actually NEED the valves adjusted. Sure it can help, but valves tappets a little off do NOT CAUSE a misfire!

If it ran OK before adjustment, are you SURE of your work on the valve adjust?

And - You cut the Cat off and then it ran? holy hell - alot going on here.
A direct fuel, as in drive by wire no cable? Sometimes it idles and runs fine?
Why and what made you cut the cat, as in cutting it out of the system by a muffler shop? ?

I'm waiting for someone that knows something to jump in here? Guys, Gals?
Well it's all controlled by the computer I think the term is direct fuel injected? What made me cut the catylic off buddy of mine suggested. I did it myself. Hmm let me think of anything else to help I guess I could start with it's an 05 pilot. Hmm Ive had it for a year it's got a new water pump, timing belt. I'ma be getting another scan this evening and I'll be sure to report what it says. I'm no mechanic but a few of my friends have worked on cars for some time now. When I bought it it drove fine for about 4 months. Would it be the throttle position or crank shaft position sensors? Maybe the ignition boots. I'm limited with cash since I lost my job during the covid lockdown so if there's a way to trouble shoot anything without a shop or just buying new parts.. would be the best in my situation. My only assumption would be the boots short out when they warm up? I miss my old model cars! Much easier to work on.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
IIRC, the 05 Pilot has a throttle cable.
Either way, can you verify that the throttle is actually opening all the way?
Can you rev it by hand in Park with the hood up?

Not sure why no one else chimed in yet. Lot's of smart ones around here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IIRC, the 05 Pilot has a throttle cable.
Either way, can you verify that the throttle is actually opening all the way?
Can you rev it by hand in Park with the hood up?

Not sure why no one else chimed in yet. Lot's of smart ones around here.
It's throttle by wire is what I've found. And the codes have come back the from a scanner and all 6 misfire. . whatever I've done the car hasn't been able to start since mid November. And now it stays running. This car has been a bigger pain then any other vehicle I've owned. This might just sit for a minute and I'll keep an update.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts