Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I recently purchased a new 2019 Pilot Touring edition. We like it.

What I don't like and haven't been able to solve is the startlingly loud (sounds like max stereo volume) notification volume I get from text messages when I am using Carplay in the vehicle.

With other Carplay vehicles I own you can adjust the notification down by pressing the car volume buttons while the notification is playing. This does not work in my Pilot, adjusting the volume buttons while a notification such as a text message is playing has no affect on the notification volume. When I make this adjustment it just adjusts the music playback volume.

I am able to adjust the volume of Siri, navigation and telephone ring tone but not text messages from iMessage.

Has anyone else experienced this and discovered a solution? The only workaround I have found that works is to manually mute my phone with the mute button on the side of it which mutes all notifications through Carplay.

Phone is an iPhone X on current iOS 13.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tou have to turn the volume knob down while it is reading the notification. Took me 2 months to figure that out. As you turn it will say notification volume on the top of the screen, but the notification must be playing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tou have to turn the volume knob down while it is reading the notification. Took me 2 months to figure that out. As you turn it will say notification volume on the top of the screen, but the notification must be playing.
so the knob must be used and not the steering wheel volume buttons?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just tested this again and it does not work in my case. When I turn the volume while the notification is playing the only volume adjustment is to the CarPlay music playback volume.
I can make a video of how it behaves if that would be helpful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just tested this again and it does not work in my case. When I turn the volume while the notification is playing the only volume adjustment is to the CarPlay music playback volume.
I can make a video of how it behaves if that would be helpful.
There's also an option in the settings for navigation guidance volume

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the exact opposite, but still similar problem with Android Auto... When using Google Maps for nav, and playing music through AA, the music is at the desired volume, and when nav prompts come up, the music is muted as expected, but the google lady's voice is only about 1/2 as loud as the music was.

Still trying to figure out how to get all of the volumes equalized. Must be a setting on the phone.

·
Registered
137 Posts
...I figured it out, it's nothing to do with the phone, it's all adjusted in the car. On Android Auto it works exactly as @MassChef says above... when the notification or voice prompts are playing, if you adjust the entertainment unit's volume, it will change the notification/voice level and leave the media playback volume where it was. The two are independent. Thankfully there is the new 2019 physical volume knob to make this a breeze. Might be more cumbersome on the older touch-only models, not sure. Works perfectly for me now with AA, although I can't say for CarPlay as I do not use any Apple products of any kind.

On a related side note, I will say that Honda did an excellent job of integrating Android Auto! I drive lots of new cars as rentals through business travel, and while most manufacturers have implemented AA (except for Toyota, have to wait till next year...), almost every one of them have various glitches or features not properly implemented. The most aggravating is not switching to night mode and having a 100% brightness white screen glaring at you after dark (I'm looking at you Chrysler/Jeep!)

In the 2019 Pilot, everything works perfectly and seamlessly, with the added bonus that they actually implemented the dual screen mode for navigation. While the main screen displays the standard Google Maps navigation interface that we all know (or your media playback if you choose to switch to that view on the main display), on my 19 Pilot Touring (Canadian equivalent of the US Elite), as soon as Google navigation is started, it throws a simplified display on the instrument cluster that shows your next turn instruction, and a distance gauge to that turn underneath the AA logo:

When navigation ends, it automatically returns to whatever built-in display panel you had there before. I haven't seen that on other brands yet, and this is a totally fantastic unexpected surprise.

Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, comments about how it works on AA are really not helpful since the issue is specifically with Carplay. Over the weekend I tested this with three different iOS devices, two were on iOS 13 and one was on iOS 12. All experienced the same issue. When a notification (not SIRI, not a ringtone, not navigation) is playing it is startlingly loud and there is no way to change the volume.

I'm pretty sure at this point that the problem is with the Pilot implementation of Carplay. It's also possible that there is a hidden workaround to the problem, such as some other notification that uses the same volume as text messages where the volume can successfully be adjusted and have it lower the notification volume.

I joined the forum to ask about the issue because it seems this might be a Honda specific thing and I can't find any good info on it.

My other vehicles that have had Carplay (wife's Mini, aftermarket Pioneer radio) don't have this problem... notifications are played at a "medium" volume level.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a phone # to Honda that is helpful for reporting these kinds of issues? I would consider contacting my local dealer but seems like a bit of a hassle to schedule a service appointment for this when there's not likely anything they can do about it anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there a phone # to Honda that is helpful for reporting these kinds of issues? I would consider contacting my local dealer but seems like a bit of a hassle to schedule a service appointment for this when there's not likely anything they can do about it anyway.
I have the same issue with our 2019 Pilot Touring. Scares the crap out of me every time I’ve “REACHED MY DESTINATION!” Did you ever find a remedy?

·
Registered
164 Posts
On your iPhone go to Settings -> Maps -> Driving & Navigation-> scroll down to NAVIGATION VOICE VOLUME. Set desired volume level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The issue is not the volume of notifications while driving. That is set as “normal” and the turn by turn volume is exactly as you would expect. The problem is when you have arrived at your destination. When it announces this it is at full volume from the Pilots audio which is extremely loud and scares the crap out of you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The issue is not the volume of notifications while driving. That is set as “normal” and the turn by turn volume is exactly as you would expect. The problem is when you have arrived at your destination. When it announces this it is at full volume from the Pilots audio which is extremely loud and scares the crap out of you.
The issue I opened the thread about is not the navigation volume it is the notification volume, the sound that plays for example when receiving a text message while Carplay is in use. The volume in these cases is extremely loud and there is no way to adjust it that I have discovered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The issue I opened the thread about is not the navigation volume it is the notification volume, the sound that plays for example when receiving a text message while Carplay is in use. The volume in these cases is extremely loud and there is no way to adjust it that I have discovered.
I had this same problem for a while and just fixed it today. Notification volume for texts on my wife's iPhone were painfully loud. I was able to fix this by sending a text to the phone while Carplay had the "Maps" app open. When the text came through, I immediately turned the volume down with the dash knob. Strangely, turning the volume down had no effect if the text was received while the "Messages" app was open. Such sweet relief when the next notification came through at normal volume!!! I hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had this same problem for a while and just fixed it today. Notification volume for texts on my wife's iPhone were painfully loud. I was able to fix this by sending a text to the phone while Carplay had the "Maps" app open. When the text came through, I immediately turned the volume down with the dash knob. Strangely, turning the volume down had no effect if the text was received while the "Messages" app was open. Such sweet relief when the next notification came through at normal volume!!! I hope this helps.
I think I’ve tried this but I will try it again, thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I should add that I was actively navigating to a location in the "Maps" app when I was texting myself. I wanted there to be some audio coming from the car other than the text notification for comparison. I don't know if that had anything to do with the fix working, but i thought I should mention it as to the conditions I was operating under. There seemed to be a different volume symbol that would appear but I'm not sure what it was, but it was different than the regular radio volume.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts