Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen anything in the forums recently about the starting problem and now it occurs to me why: warm weather

What brought this to my attention is the latest installment of the long term test drive on Edmunds. They describe the starting problem as a cold weather problem. It only happened to me once but, come to think of it, it was cold. Not very cold, but it was cold. I've only had my Pilot since April. I was hoping the problem had just "gone away". Come winter, I don't need to start sweating the startups. I'm sweating enough now in this heat.

Has anyone noticed a cold weather pattern with the problem?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yeah, I think weather/season definitely has something to do with the starting problem, whether directly or indirectly. I say indirectly, because it can be the winter grade gas that was causing the starting problem. Someone had already pointed this out in another thread.

It'll be interesting to see if the starting problems return once the winter approaches and the temperature drops. If it does, then, it's either the temperature or the winter gas that gets sold during it. Either way, Honda really should extend an official solution for the problem. I've never such frequent starting problems with others I've owned in the past and even our Pontiac Montana never had such problem.

It's another one of those things, like the sqeaky/scrunchy doors/windows/, inexplicable rattles/pinging noise, among others that Honda refuses to acknowledge and provide a fair fix for. I expected more from Honda and of Honda cars.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I wonder what kind of problem a remote starter would have with this. Since I am not sure how one works, would the starter continue to crank until the engine starts --- eventually burning out the starter motor if it never started, or would it just crank for a set amount of time, regardless if it started or not. :confused:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Although we don't have much of a winter down here in Houston, our starting problem stopped when the warmer temps arrived.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
GreenMachine said:
I wonder what kind of problem a remote starter would have with this. Since I am not sure how one works, would the starter continue to crank until the engine starts --- eventually burning out the starter motor if it never started, or would it just crank for a set amount of time, regardless if it started or not. :confused:
I have a remote car starter installed on my Pilot and when the starting problem started to got really bad for me back in last December or so, I just stopped using it altogether. I know, it sucks, but I had to for fears of doing exactly the samething as you mentioned.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
rtresco said:
Although we don't have much of a winter down here in Houston, our starting problem stopped when the warmer temps arrived.
thats what makes me think its more to do with winter gas rather than the weather

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
ramirami said:

thats what makes me think its more to do with winter gas rather than the weather
Was it you who was one of the people thinking that winter gas was the culprit for the starting problem? I think you guys are spot on on this one. I thought at first that perhaps it had something to do with MMT mixed in the gas in Canada, but the problem isn't exclusive to Canadian owners, so that's out the window.

I just think it's a serious enough problem that warrants Honda to investigate properly and provide a fix for. I haven't bought into their explanation about the ignition security system. We'll wait and see what happens come this winter.

·
Registered
495 Posts
ramirami said:
Does it ever get in the 40-50's range this time of the year in, say, northern Canada? And would Piloteers in those areas currently be using what is considered "summer" gas?

I wonder how well Pilots, existing with these two concurrent factors, are starting. If no problems, I'll have to agree with you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well I can not speak for Pilots (still deciding on it) but I have a 1993 Accord I bought brand new in 1993. I noticed in the summer there were times when my accord would not start after parking in a hot day in a lot. I noticed this again a few years ago when I drove to a California desert. Never had the problem again but as soon as I parked it, then turn the key I would not get anything. After a few attempts later that day, it just started. I haven't had the problem since. Granted I have not been in such hot weather since. My .02 cents.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It's either the winter gas additive or fuel quality in general (i.e., water or wrong additives). I only had the starting problem with the Pilot a few times last Aug-Sept (still summer down here).

Coincidently, I had the same problem with the Jeep earlier in the year. Maybe not so coincidently, the problem went away for both vehicles when I stopped going to a particular gas station...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I experienced the same problem a couple of times during the winter however, I think it may have been related to the brand of gasoline I was using! Every since I started using only BP/Amoco I have not experienced the starting problem since.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'll have to check gasoline brand but I have had the issue in heat, cold, and in between. The biggest thing I noticed when it did happen was I was letting the key go too soon. As I watched it for a few weeks the problem seemed to disappear. I just had it the other day and can't remember where I had gotten the gas or if I was short on the crank time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It has happened to me mainly in warm weather....I don't think it's a weather-related issue. The last time it happened I unconsciously turned the key really quick, not allowing the recommended 1-2 seconds before starting...

I think that is the real problem...

Maybe we should all do a test -- stick the key in the ignition and turn it as fast as you can and see if it starts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Pilot-1 - - Great Idea for a test!!

Pilot-1 said:
It has happened to me mainly in warm weather....I don't think it's a weather-related issue. The last time it happened I unconsciously turned the key really quick, not allowing the recommended 1-2 seconds before starting...

I think that is the real problem...

Maybe we should all do a test -- stick the key in the ignition and turn it as fast as you can and see if it starts.
Thanks for the great idea!!

I have been assuming that the problem was in the 'cold start' routine in the chip - - Perhaps it's really in the 'do I have enough gasoline pressure to squirt the injectors' routine in the chip.

Let's do the test and then we can run a poll to see what the results turn out to be.

JJ

·
Registered
991 Posts
It's about 15 to 25 degrees here, and guess what, problem still continues.. I have been good for about three months and now it's starting again... Cold weather in my case is not the issue.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gopilot said:
It's about 15 to 25 degrees here, and guess what, problem still continues.. I have been good for about three months and now it's starting again... Cold weather in my case is not the issue.
I assume you mean 15-25 degrees Celsius. 15-25 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 to -4 deg. C) here is generally regarded as freakin' COLD!

·
Registered
991 Posts
haa.. Yes, that would be damn Cold!! Celsius is what we use up here.. I guess around 85 F..

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Starting trouble

Anyone else having a problem when starting first thing in the morning? When I turn the key, it takes a bit longer to turn over. And, when it does for the first second or 2, it runs rough, then idles really high for a few seconds.

:creeplook

·
Registered
283 Posts
ahhh the starting problems have started up again....hmm and it's getting cold outside.

Art many of us experienced starting problems last winter. Where we had it try 2-3 times before it would start. I don't think it left anyone stranded though, just annoyed them. Mine hasn't done it since it got warm out. I also don't think anyone came up with a cure for it.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Starting trouble

Art said:
Anyone else having a problem when starting first thing in the morning? When I turn the key, it takes a bit longer to turn over. And, when it does for the first second or 2, it runs rough, then idles really high for a few seconds.

:creeplook
Seems to affect some pilots more than others.

The guess is has to do with how lean these engines run and the differences between winter and summer gas.

Try a few tanks of a different brand gas.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts