Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While attempting to start my 2020 Touring I have noticed something unusual. Usually, the brake pedal goes down easily and I press the button to start it. But recently, and might I say intermittently, it requires a great deal of pressure to get it down to start the car. Has anyone else experienced this condition? Any thoughts on the matter? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
243 Posts
While attempting to start my 2020 Touring I have noticed something unusual. Usually, the brake pedal goes down easily and I press the button to start it. But recently, and might I say intermittently, it requires a great deal of pressure to get it down to start the car. Has anyone else experienced this condition? Any thoughts on the matter? Thanks for your help!
Many, many threads on this issue. Some have had brake boosters, vacuum lines replaced. It happened on my Odyssey and now on my Pilot. For me, it only occours in really cold weather & doesn't affect the ability to start & once started brake pedal feel is normal. It appears that the booster looses vacuum, but works fine after engine is started.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Problem usually appears when the weather turns cold. Use the remote start on the key fob.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem usually appears when the weather turns cold. Use the remote start on the key fob.
Thanks, Aviator6 and MtMan for your take on the matter. As I live in Southern California things never get that cold. And as the car sits in the garage most of the time I think it never gets below the upper 40's. Would that be cold enough to create the problem?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks, Aviator6 and MtMan for your take on the matter. As I live in Southern California things never get that cold. And as the car sits in the garage most of the time I think it never gets below the upper 40's. Would that be cold enough to create the problem?
Yes, I would think so. It seemed to be more prevelant in my Odyssey than it is in the Pilot, but as long as your brakes are fine after the engine starts, I wouldn't worry about it. If the brake pedal seems stiff after the engine has been shut down for only an hour or so, then have the dealer check it out. It only happens on my Pilot when it has sat overnight (in the garage) and temps are cool. My garage is not normally heated unless I'm working on something.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Prior to the existance of the push to start/stop button, how many people pressed the brake pedal prior to starting the engine. I know I never did. If tranny was in Park and/or parking brake set, I just turned the key to start & didn't touch the brake pedal until I was readly to shift from Park. So, this loss of brake booster vacuum may have been much more prevalent, but it was just never observed due to the different starting proceedures.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Prior to the existance of the push to start/stop button, how many people pressed the brake pedal prior to starting the engine. I know I never did. If tranny was in Park and/or parking brake set, I just turned the key to start & didn't touch the brake pedal until I was readly to shift from Park. So, this loss of brake booster vacuum may have been much more prevalent, but it was just never observed due to the different starting proceedures.
Thanks, Aviator 6 I do appreciate your input. As all my previous cars were sticks, and quite old, I never thought about brake booster vacuum and such. My 1990 Accord has been great to me and now has 399,000 miles on her and will be 30 years old this coming February. And she looks great for her age with new paint and interior. Same engine and just normal maintenance like clutches, timing belts, brakes, and so on. Oh, and the same transmission all this time. It says something about how honda built cars back then! Here are a few pictures of her.

_MG_3019FU1.jpg
_MG_2472FUP1.jpg
_MG_2471FU1.jpg
_MG_3042FU1.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks, Aviator 6 I do appreciate your input. As all my previous cars were sticks, and quite old, I never thought about brake booster vacuum and such. My 1990 Accord has been great to me and now has 399,000 miles on her and will be 30 years old this coming February. And she looks great for her age with new paint and interior. Same engine and just normal maintenance like clutches, timing belts, brakes, and so on. Oh, and the same transmission all this time. It says something about how honda built cars back then! Here are a few pictures of her.

View attachment 133634 View attachment 133635 View attachment 133636 View attachment 133637
Nice! Yeah I have the Pilot for long road trips, but for local(fun) driving, I love my Civic Si with the 6 sp manual.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's a good point ! I never thought about that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts