Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced problems starting vehicle? I pressed brake pedal and touched ignition button (just as Honda instructs) and it wouldn't crank. I kept trying the same sequence and finally got car cranked. I've owned car for a little over a year and this is first time I have had this happen. Message on dash saying to press brake and press ignition button.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There have been reports of a stiff brake pedal condition when starting the vehicle. A faulty brake booster or check valve allows vacuum to escape after the vehicle is turned off. The brake pedal needs to pressed far enough for a switch to sense movement. If the vacuum escapes additional brake pedal force is required to move the pedal far enough to start the vehicle. This is not subtle. If this is happening you will notice the difference in pedal stiffness when you press the brake pedal prior to starting the vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There have been reports of a stiff brake pedal condition when starting the vehicle. A faulty brake booster or check valve allows vacuum to escape after the vehicle is turned off. The brake pedal needs to pressed far enough for a switch to sense movement. If the vacuum escapes additional brake pedal force is required to move the pedal far enough to start the vehicle. This is not subtle. If this is happening you will notice the difference in pedal stiffness when you press the brake pedal prior to starting the vehicle.
Thanks Cbayman, good info sounds logical. I will be able to get vehicle started now (with this information) until I can take into dealer for repair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts