Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently drove the 04 Pilot, ran well, parked. A week later, the starter will not engage. Electronics on the dashboard light up. Battery tested, it has a full charge. Posts are clean. The only thing that will not work is the starter. No clicking or any other noise beyond the normal dashboard noises at start up. Car has 330,000 and has always run well for me and the previous owner. Check Engine light has been on, it's the EGR, which is generally not a show-stopper. The Pilot is new to me, so I'm not familiar with basic diagnostics beyond what I have already done. Any suggestions? Your assistance is appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
128 Posts
Recently drove the 04 Pilot, ran well, parked. A week later, the starter will not engage. Electronics on the dashboard light up. Battery tested, it has a full charge. Posts are clean. The only thing that will not work is the starter. No clicking or any other noise beyond the normal dashboard noises at start up. Car has 330,000 and has always run well for me and the previous owner. Check Engine light has been on, it's the EGR, which is generally not a show-stopper. The Pilot is new to me, so I'm not familiar with basic diagnostics beyond what I have already done. Any suggestions? Your assistance is appreciated.
Check ground cable swap the starter the auto parts store will test your old starter so you know for sure starter is the culprit

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
4,883 Posts
If there is an equivalent relay used for something else, try swapping the starter cut relay.

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
4,883 Posts
I would check the things mentioned above first. But, before I pull the starter I would have someone turn the key while you tap on the starter with something solid. You can get to it from the topside.
I did that, and the failed starter wouldn’t stop spinning even with the key pulled out. Fortunately the clutch/solenoid didn’t engage. I had to rush to the tool box grab the correct socket to disconnect battery negative. That was a long minute.o_O

• Wow
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2004 EX
625 Posts
I would check the NSS before replacing the starter.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I personally don’t buy rebuilt starters or alternators. Rock auto has brand new starters for like 150. It isn’t a horrible job replacing the starter but I don’t want to do it twice. My preference. I have just read too many posts here where the rebuilt starter or alternator craps out.

·
Registered
2004 EX
625 Posts
Rock auto has brand new starters for like 150. It isn’t a horrible job replacing the starter but I don’t want to do it twice. My preference. I have just read too many posts here where the rebuilt starter or alternator craps out.
I had a new one from RA crap out, but it was replaced under warranty. Things happen.

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
Starters seem to attain entropy faster than some other components. Just an empirical fact.

08 Pilot wont start. Lights on dash, no click, puff of...

Disabled Piloteer in need of immediate help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts