Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice now I've been having this issue with my 2011 Pilot EX (50k) - after I start it, it sounds like the engine is pushing the starter motor for about 1 -2 seconds. It sounds to me like the starter may not be disengaging quick enough.
Both times it happened when I was running errands, the car was already warmed up and being restarted after sitting for about 5 minutes.

Anybody experienced this?
Where should I start? Replacing the solenoid? Or pulling the starter to inspect/clean?

Thanks! Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Twice now I've been having this issue with my 2011 Pilot EX (50k) - after I start it, it sounds like the engine is pushing the starter motor for about 1 -2 seconds. It sounds to me like the starter may not be disengaging quick enough.
Both times it happened when I was running errands, the car was already warmed up and being restarted after sitting for about 5 minutes.

Anybody experienced this?
Where should I start? Replacing the solenoid? Or pulling the starter to inspect/clean?

Thanks! Any thoughts are appreciated.
Maybe a shot of lube in the Bendix? How's the battery? Does your model year have a starter cutout solenoid?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
That would happen occasionally on my 05 but only in certain circumstances.
if yours is sticking constantly, pull and clean or replace before it leaves you stranded.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas!
The battery is new Costco Interstate installed a month ago. As far as the starter type, photos from Majestic and RockAuto websites:

Starter Fiche.jpg

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also: the car starts right away, no hesitation. But then it feels like the starter doesn't disengage for 1-2 seconds.
New issue for the vehicle. Sounds and feels weird.

·
Registered
120 Posts
is this the sound?

It's very common. My 2009 developed this sound after a few years and I ran the car with no problems over 5 years with it (at first it only happened on the coldest days, but then more frequently), finally I just replaced the starter with a used one from a 2015 and it went away. I took the old starter apart there was nothing wrong with it from what I could see. It was greased, nothing rubbing, clean inside, etc.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tinylo, thank you for posting the clip! It's hard to tell, but I think my sound is a bit different, lower pitch. Mine basically sounds like a starter sound initially, then the engine starts up and layers over it, and both continue for another 2 seconds or so. Then the starter manages to extricate itself and all is good.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good question about the bendix. I don't even know, if my starter has it. Someone with more knowledge may perhaps chime in.
Inertia starter with bendix:

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From just looking at the images, my starter looks perhaps more like the "pre-engaged" system with a solenoid?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
What is the bindix? Just wondering....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Bendix is the spring loaded gear on the starter that spirals up due to inertia and momentarily engages the flywheel go turn the engine over. Once the flywheel is moving faster than the Bendix, it disengages the flywheel and is forced back down it's spiral Bendix thread by the spring. Sometimes they need a shot of lube in the spring/spiral area so the gear doesn't hang up and stay engaged with the flywheel causing gear grinding and other weird sounds. What I'm hearing almost sounds like a bearing in the starter motor although it might be the Bendix chattering down the Bendix thread or the engine driving the starter motor at a very high speed since the Bendix isn't releasing it.. Try cleaning and some lube on the Bendix so the gear slides smoothly and easily up and down the spiral thread against the spring pressure. Check for slop/wear between the gear and the thread shaft. Depending on finances, if you have to remove the starter to clean it and work on it, at that point it might make sense to just replace the whole starter. It is a wear part after all.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,835 Posts
Have you verified the starter relay is not sticking? Easiest way to test would be:
1) Pull out relay
2) Connect 9v battery between pins 85 and 86. You should immediately hear one click
3) Disconnect 9v battery from either pin 85 or 86. You should immediately hear one click.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 20 times. If you suspect heat is a potential cause, heat up the relay with a hair dryer for a few seconds before you run each iteration of the test.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the suggestion r2c, I will test the relay as you suggested. I feel like I should first try the accessible stuff before taking out the battery tray and diving in.
I will also clean the battery terminals as jimmaki suggested just in case, although they looked fine last month when installing the new battery. Having said that, I was doing the
install in the Costco parking lot with the sun beating on my back, so my attention to detail may have been lacking. Again, thanks for the ideas and suggestions everybody!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts