Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this on a 2016 or newer? Is it the same as the older models. Looks pretty simple in the videos I have seen for older models.

I'm going to replace battery cables first and see if that solves the problem. Starter has always been suspect. When I had the start/stop mode enabled, it would frequently stall and not restart the engine. Even with a new battery. Now I am getting similar problems when restarting the car if I have recently parked and come back to vehicle. Slow to turn and then speeds up and starts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
That stop/start system does put added wear and tear on the starting system. The starter was pretty easy to change out on the older 3.5 V6 but it is a little more cramped in the 3rd gen models so you probably have to remove some extra stuff to gain access but removal should be similar.

·
Registered
499 Posts
This might help.

Attachments

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks exactly like the video I watched. Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
Has anyone done this on a 2016 or newer? Is it the same as the older models. Looks pretty simple in the videos I have seen for older models.

I'm going to replace battery cables first and see if that solves the problem. Starter has always been suspect. When I had the start/stop mode enabled, it would frequently stall and not restart the engine. Even with a new battery. Now I am getting similar problems when restarting the car if I have recently parked and come back to vehicle. Slow to turn and then speeds up and starts.

Thanks!
New AGM battery or a flood battery? How long after they new battery install did the issue resurface? What is the normal trip distances you are talking about? AGM batteries are not a rapid charge battery. they require a longer recharge time after starts. Continuous short trips can deplete the battery enough to case starting issues.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
New AGM battery or a flood battery? How long after they new battery install did the issue resurface? What is the normal trip distances you are talking about? AGM batteries are not a rapid charge battery. they require a longer recharge time after starts. Continuous short trips can deplete the battery enough to case starting issues.
Also for reference, the car has 230k miles on it, or nearly 230k... I drive a lot for work.

All good questions.. Not an AGM battery.. Normal trip distances go like this.. 80 miles, 80 miles, then 1 mile, 2 miles, 1 mile, 2 mile.. 20 miles.. So it's definitely after the short trips where the problem is mostly happening. I stop and am parked for 10 minutes and leave.

The stall issue during run/stop operation was a constant problem when new, with new battery, etc.. I ended up putting in a bypass relay that is in our forums to set it to always OFF.. so that problem is not longer an issue.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
One of the problems could well be the lack of an AGM. It is that kind of heavy electrical draw that the AGM is designed for. A normal flood battery can't keep up. I didn't bother with a full time disable mod. I just turn it off every time before I shift into gear.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the problems could well be the lack of an AGM. It is that kind of heavy electrical draw that the AGM is designed for. A normal flood battery can't keep up. I didn't bother with a full time disable mod. I just turn it off every time before I shift into gear.
I followed your advice, because it was far cheaper than a $740 starter and spending a couple hours putting it in. I bought the largest AGM with the highest CCA I could find. 800 and 925 CA.. that fits the vehicle. I then did my diligence with greasing the terminals and used a wire brush to rough it all up.. and now the starter spins at a much faster rate and the hard cranking is no longer an issue.

Thank you so much for the logical advice!

Reactions: The Todd
1 - 8 of 8 Posts