Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Honda Pilot Touring.

July of 2019: Wife complains the vehicle starts back up under protest from the start stop system when driving in stop and go traffic. Eventually, vehicle stalls when she tries to resume travel from start stop mode. To make matters worse, the car would not restart for several minutes. Onlookers offer to push the vehicle out of harms way but the vehicle cannot be put in neutral when not running (without going under the hood).

Vehicle taken to dealer, dealer claims they cannot replicate the problem. However, testing shows a bad cell in the battery (just out of warranty). Battery replaced. Problem seems to be sorted...

May of 2020: Same problem as before, car stalls when trying to resume travel after start stop mode. Vehicle wont restart for a few minutes and cannot be pushed out of harms way. The issue is not the battery, the battery is OEM and less than a year old.

Complain to Honda Corp. Their reply amounts to the following: Your vehicle is out of warranty, we've never heard of such a problem (i.e., we have no associated service bulletins or recalls). But check with your dealership, you may need new injectors.

Question 1: Is there a known fix to this problem besides permanently disabling the start stop system?
Question 2: Are there any new Pilots that don't have the push button transmission (transmissions that can be easily placed in neutral without the power being on)?
Question 3: Are there any new Pilots without the start stop system?
Question 4: I'm planning on dumping the offending vehicle (my 2012 Pilot still works fine). What should I buy instead of a Pilot?

Thanks for any and all assistance you may offer Piloteers.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I am not sure, but if you put the ignition in the "ON" mode (not accessory or start) can you then put the car into Neutral? That should be two pushes of the ignition button. That's as long as the battery isn't 100% dead.

I know there is a specific device to override the Neutral lock out when there is NO power. That tool used to cost around $50.00 but now is over $150.00!

Neutral shifting tool when no power

·
Registered
402 Posts
Start stop system is only on Touring and above models, so if you want to dump the car but like the Pilot and are willing to give up some bells and whistles, going with a lower trim is an option.

Also, lower trim levels have a 6 sp transmission with a standard shift lever.

·
Registered
813 Posts
1. I've heard that someone said that a new starter motor fixed the issue on their elite.
2.Yes. The EX-L and below offer a lever shifter. I think to get it into neutral you have to go in the center console and use the key to unlock the lever.
3.The EX-L and below don't have auto stop start.
4.IMHO there is not really any 3 row crossover that's better than the Pilot. People might argue the kia/hyundai options are better, but dealers are still overcharging. A Telluride S has an MSRP of $34,000, but a nearby kia dealer had it for $42,000. Also there is a pretty long waiting list to get one. The new 2020 Pilot has way less problems than the past years. I personally think the Pilot is still the best in the class, but I don't know if you'd get a new Pilot since you had all these issues.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
Simple fix for the Auto Idle Stop issue. Don't use it. My 2013 Pilot Touring didn't have it. The new 2020 Passport does. My fix..

Sit down, buckle the seat belt, start the vehicle. push the Auto Idle Stop button, put vehicle in gear and go.

It quickly becomes a habit, and I have no use for the Auto Idle Stop feature.

·
Registered
Former 2016 Pilot Elite AWD
12 Posts
Complain to Honda Corp. Their reply amounts to the following: Your vehicle is out of warranty, we've never heard of such a problem (i.e., we have no associated service bulletins or recalls). But check with your dealership, you may need new injectors.
I experienced the same lies from Honda dealer and corporate a year ago regarding our 2016 Touring, before we too dumped it. I cannot believe Honda still has not been held accountable for this clear product defect and its arguable fraud in handling the years of documented complaints and incidents regarding idle-stop shut-downs.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
87 Posts
Simple fix for the Auto Idle Stop issue. Don't use it. My 2013 Pilot Touring didn't have it. The new 2020 Passport does. My fix..

Sit down, buckle the seat belt, start the vehicle. push the Auto Idle Stop button, put vehicle in gear and go.

It quickly becomes a habit, and I have no use for the Auto Idle Stop feature.
That's the second thing I do after pushing the button to unfold the side mirrors.. and it's true, it becomes a habit..

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
That's the second thing I do after pushing the button to unfold the side mirrors.. and it's true, it becomes a habit..
I didn't post my whole procedure, but since my vehicle is garaged it is simple.
1 Get in
2 Buckle seat belt
3 Start vehicle
4 Put vehicle in reverse
5. As approaching the garage door extend the mirrors. (If you go in straight and leave the wheel alone you will follow the same track back out)
6. Once the hood clears the garage opening hit the garage door button.
7. Back down the drive way into the street.
8. This is the important one. Come to a COMPLETE STOP before shifting to drive. That one extra second out of my life is worth taking to care for the transmission.
9. Enjoy the drive

·
Registered
813 Posts
I didn't post my whole procedure, but since my vehicle is garaged it is simple.
1 Get in
2 Buckle seat belt
3 Start vehicle
4 Put vehicle in reverse
5. As approaching the garage door extend the mirrors. (If you go in straight and leave the wheel alone you will follow the same track back out)
6. Once the hood clears the garage opening hit the garage door button.
7. Back down the drive way into the street.
8. This is the important one. Come to a COMPLETE STOP before shifting to drive. That one extra second out of my life is worth taking to care for the transmission.
9. Enjoy the drive
I agree with number 9 and I do it on my car, but unfortunately I've seen a lot of people who don't stop all the way before putting it in drive because of the push button transmission.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts