Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up our new Starlight Silver EX-L last Monday. My wife has driven it every day since, so I haven't had much time in the new beast.

So far, the only issue we've had is a paint defect which is only noticeable when the Pilot's sitting outside. On the front and rear bumpers and around the wheel wells there's a hazy yellowness in the paint? Dealer attempted buffing several times and even sent it to an outside bodyshop, but in the end the yellowness remained. Their only answer was to repaint the affected areas. Hard to swallow on a car with only 300 miles on it. Their explanation had something to do with a flex agent that Honda adds to the paint that's used on any painted plastic or flexible body parts? They said it doesn't always get mixed in thoroughly and tends to bleed thru the paint? It's really not that noticeable but I have asked Honda to extend the paint warranty so I can have this repainted down the road if I choose to do so. I also asked for some free accessories as compensation to add value back into the vehicle to offset the obvious devaluing that the defect will cause(repainted or not). We're still waiting for a decision to be handed down from Honda Customer Service but I'll post their response if anyone's interested.

Besides this issue we love the pilot. We previously had a 02' Tahoe that my wife referred to as the "small bus". She never drove it due to its size, so I'm pleased to see her driving the Pilot on a daily basis. Personally, I loved the Tahoe but the ride and gas mileage of the Pilot have convinced me we made the right move.

Great site! Thanks to all of those who have posted here, it was extremely useful when making our car buying decision!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Post some pictures of your problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do! Might be awhile before I can get some pics out there though. One of those infamous midwest thunderstorms and a stray bolt of lightening took out our machine at home. When we're back up and running I'll get some pics posted. :D

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
dnipp said:
Just picked up our new Starlight Silver EX-L last Monday. My wife has driven it every day since, so I haven't had much time in the new beast.

So far, the only issue we've had is a paint defect
This is a very common problem with Silver Pilots. There are one or more threads that discuss this and even a poll about it. Sorry I don't have a link for you but if you do search you should be able to find them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had the hood repainted for the same reasons. The outcome was better than the factory paint. This is a normal problem. It sounds like the computers didn't spray enough paint on the panels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Resolution

Well, Honda agreed that we'd be detracting from the value of the vehicle by either leaving the yellowness or repainting, so they sprung for a free set of factory running boards and agreed to repaint the affected areas at any time while it's still covered by the 3 yr paint warranty. I probably could have got more but I was tired of dealing with them. Took them two weeks just to make that decision. The dealer claimed the couldn't get a response out of either their regional rep or Honda customer service. After the other experiences I've seen posted here I almost believe them.

Pick it up tonight from getting the running boards installed. They're also working on a vibration that's present around 75 mph and a click/tick from the front end. They claimed that our pilot which was built in July of 03' wasn't affected by the strut TSB but they would perform the procedure anyway to see if that fixed the problem. The vibration they blamed on Goodyear. Supposedly, the Right Front tire was 45 grams off balance. Dealer claims they've corrected the vibration but I've yet to drive it for myself. I see Michelins in my future.......

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: Resolution

dnipp said:

[snipped]

The vibration they blamed on Goodyear. Supposedly, the Right Front tire was 45 grams off balance. Dealer claims they've corrected the vibration but I've yet to drive it for myself. I see Michelins in my future.......
If so, you might want to check out the threads on the Michelins. Some members have been able to negotiate an exchange for Michelins with local tire shops if the Goodyears are virtually unused.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
Does everyone have Goodyear tires? Mine say Bridgestone. Aren't those Firestone's?
same company but a better brand/make(toyota/lexus).

·
Registered
248 Posts
The Honda regional rep was at our dealer today, so they setup an appointment for us to meet with him.

He inspected the paint(blotchiness/haziness/runs), and although can't say for certain if the paint is defective from the factory or if it was an environmental issue later on, Honda will take care of us and "make it right" even if that means repainting the vehicle.

So, they've sent me off to a couple body shops to get quotes, and they we'll go from there.

Although we both agreed that replacing the factory paint is not the ideal solution, it may be what we have to do in this case, as he agreed the clearcoat or maybe even the color coat has begun to fail.

And BTW, there was no second-guessing or arguing. The Rep looked at the paint, we made some small talk about what could have happened, and he quickly agreed that the paint was defective.

I feel very happy with the direction this is now moving, and we'll see how it goes from here.

Al

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
Does everyone have Goodyear tires? Mine say Bridgestone. Aren't those Firestone's?
I think Goodyears come on Pilots with leather interiors; Bridgestones come on ones with fabric interiors.

·
Registered
745 Posts
little-al said:
The Honda regional rep was at our dealer today, so they setup an appointment for us to meet with him.

He inspected the paint(blotchiness/haziness/runs), and although can't say for certain if the paint is defective from the factory or if it was an environmental issue later on, Honda will take care of us and "make it right" even if that means repainting the vehicle.

So, they've sent me off to a couple body shops to get quotes, and they we'll go from there.

Although we both agreed that replacing the factory paint is not the ideal solution, it may be what we have to do in this case, as he agreed the clearcoat or maybe even the color coat has begun to fail.

And BTW, there was no second-guessing or arguing. The Rep looked at the paint, we made some small talk about what could have happened, and he quickly agreed that the paint was defective.

I feel very happy with the direction this is now moving, and we'll see how it goes from here.

Al
Do you have any photo of the paint on your Pilot? I am also not happy with the paint on the hood of my silver Pilot. Thanks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
donx said:

Do you have any photo of the paint on your Pilot? I am also not happy with the paint on the hood of my silver Pilot. Thanks.

I'm sorry, I don't, and my digital camera just died the other day. Apologies for the delayed response. I haven't checked-in for a while.

But, the hood is very "hazy" and all along the window sills(especially, although also eslewhere) you can see what looks like puddles of haze under the clear, that then runs down the side of the vehicle body panels.

It almost appears as if something pooled at the window sill that damaged the paint, then ran down.

But it is obviously under the clear, so it isn't something that happened after delivery out in the real world.

These puddles and blotches can be found on almost every body panel if one takes the time, and it is most noticeable in bright sunlight.

From a distance or on a cloudy day, the defects are mostly unnoticeable. However, the hood "haze" is just about noticeable from any angle and any light. It is pretty severe.

Al

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well, after the initial inspection and clay-bar treatment above, the paint was still blotchy/hazy.

So I was setup with another appointment with the regional representative from Honda(this was a few weeks ago), and upon looking at the paint he immediately said it was obviously failing or defective.

He was careful however to clarify that it was impossible to tell if the problem was a defect in Honda's application of the paint(or the paint itself), a post-manufacturing environmental issue, or even if I may have somehow damaged the finish.

But he said he could most importantly certainly not rule out that the finish as delivered from the factory was not defective. And with that in mind, he was authtorizing a full repaint of the vehicle.

So, I went and got some quotes, and they said "Go do it, and we'll pay for it" ... pretty much no questions asked.

:cool:

Although this took a few visits, and I was very nervous about the reception I would receive when presenting this problem to Honda, I am very impressed with Honda's response to this, and was very impressed with how friendly and professional the regional representative was. He was very logical and frank, but also was compassionate and seemed to be very customer service oriented.

He seemed focused on making sure I was fairly treated, approaching the problem immediately from an objective position.

This removed my fears of a confrontational scenario, and instead produced a very collaborative discussion.

Although we've had a few minor problems with the Pilot(none mechanical or safety related), the quality of post sale care is one of the major factors that will bring us back.

Every manufacturer has defects, bugs, and sometimes even major SNAFUs, but how they treat the customer in those scenarios is really the telling trait, and is one of the major factors in repeat sales.

So far in my experience, Honda has their game plan right on the money in this respect if you ask me.

Al

·
Registered
469 Posts
I used to have a negative feeling about 'other than factory' paint, but in recent years, I have seen paint work done that is Better than factory and has held up very very well with no difference in appearance over time or at time of work.

Seeing that your pilot is brand new and so is the paint, I would have no hesitation about having it gone over right now ~You will probably have a better finish than any new silver pilot coming out of the factory.

(Whats the problem with paint? Cant them Nuks paint well up there in the great white North?? ;) :p )

·
Registered
143 Posts
Like I mentioned before, the paint job on the hood of my car is much better than the rest of the car. It is going to be almost 4 years and still looks great! Sometimes done by hand it beats the factory robots. :1:

·
Registered
248 Posts
With regard to "why" the paint has issues, well, I've been told two things, neither of which I can confirm to be anything but anecdotal. So take it with the appropriate grain of salt

1) The switch to water based paints has proven challenging, even after many years of their use. This is especially true with metallic finishes.

2) The "robots" put just the bare minimum of paint based on cost and calculations of what is required. A human isn't so "exact", and as such a quality painter will usually put a heavier coat on because he can't be as exacting as a metered robot, and he wants to make sure the car doesn't come back. Of course the "human factor" can go either way too, with the human doing a worse job.

But regardless, it seems that Silver at the very least remains a challenging color. Even in the "bad old days" with the old paints, I've heard that all metallic finishes, especially Silver, were sometimes just hard to get right.

Again, this is just what I've heard though. I really have no idea for certain.

Al

1 - 18 of 18 Posts