Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my wife was driving her 04 Pilot and it stalled at a red light. She placed it in park and it just cranked and cranked. When some people offered to assist pushing it off to the side of the road it would not shift out of park, with key on and brake depressed. Everything else worked. No CEL and never have had this issue before. 2 hours later I got home from work and it fired right up and shifter works fine.

Battery and ignition switch were replaced 8 months ago.

Super stumped
Brian

·
Registered
103 Posts
Check the battery connections. You could have a loose terminal connection to your battery. That might account for not being able to shift out of park after it died. But that is strange.
Regarding the reason it died in the first place, you could have a bad fuel filter or maybe even a bad fuel pump. A bad/old fuel filter will restrict the fuel flow and could cause the car to die out like you ran out of gas. But usually you can see that issue coming because the car will intermittently hesitate as it gets worse and worse.

Also check the OBDII and see if there is a pending CEL error code. A pending code may take a few starts to show on the dash.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts
ignition switch were replaced 8 months ago.
Do you know if the green key dashlight was acting up, indicating an immobilizer issue?

If you ever get stuck like that again, and need to put the shifter out of park and into neutral to move it, there's a little plastic tab on the topside of your steering column. Pop it out and stick your key down in there to unlock your shifter so you can put it into neutral.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just changed out the coil ignition boots on the coil packs. After years of cylinder misfires on my engine, the car runs get. I wish I did this years ago. Don't get the NGK 59025 coil boots. They don't come with the ignition coil springs. It was cheaper than paying almost $200 for all new coil packs. The job takes about 30 minutes and requires a 7mm allen wrench to remove the coil packs. Just make sure to not lose the springs when reinstalling. When is the last time you changed your spark plugs and alternator?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
So what did you get? A part number and a link would be great.
napaonline.com

Napa Belden - BEL 702535 Ignition Coil Boot

I was rereading your post. I think you may have a bad alternator, or battery. I replaced mine with a Denso rebuilt alternator from rockauto.com. You can get a free battery check at any major auto parts store. As for the alternator, I think if you ask the guys at the auto parts store to test the alternator or have AAA, perhaps the tow guy has an multimeter to test your alternator.

Alternator test with multimeter (Chrisfix)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.