Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No doubt the pilot has a very sophisticated awd system..and judging by my own experiences and that of other posters (in the various "snow driving" threads), it seems to be working well.

However, other SUV's , including the Toyota Highlander, and now from what we can tell, the newly revamped Accura MDX 2003, incorportate in addition to awd, stability control

My question is, what is stability control:\?? is it the application of ABS braking to the wheels that are slipping? (i thought that was traction control).

Why did Honda feel it unecessary to provide stability or traction control to there already good awd system? (do you think Honda thinks the awd system is better than the combo?).

It would have probably been easy to incorporate it as the technology isn't very new and has been used for some time now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Definition

I dug up this pretty good explanation:

This brings us to our present topic: stability control. The third "building block" in modern braking systems, stability control incorporates everything ABS and traction control do plus a yaw-sensing feature that works to increase traction during potential side-skidding situations. In other words, whereas both ABS and traction control work on the longitudinal (front-to-back) axis of the vehicle, stability control operates on the lateral (side-to-side) axis. Bosch's Electronic Stability Program (ESP), the first such system on the market, began appearing in 1995 Mercedes-Benz S-Class sedans. It has since become a popular feature on many upscale vehicles.

According to Bosch's Kosmider, "The platform for ABS, traction control and stability control is essentially the same. We simply add sensors to get the desired effect."

So I guess my question becomes: Why did Honda feel it unecessary to include this relatively inexpensive component ($595 starting price in many vehicles) when it will probably show up on the 2004 2005 models or sometime later (maybe possibly is a better word)?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Definition and

Traction Control, Electronic

Using the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) in combination with engine intervention, this system offers improved vehicle control during acceleration in poor driving conditions by using electronic controls to limit wheel spin.

-Wheel-speed sensors detect variations in rotational speed between front and rear wheels, and activate the system

-The system is functional at all speeds using both engine and brake intervention. The Traction Control actuator pulses the brake calipers at the drive wheels to reduce wheel slip. The driver may feel a slight pulsing in the accelerator pedal

-The system utilizes much of the hardware of the Anti-lock Braking System, including the wheel-speed detectors and ABS computer
Traction Control is not available without ABS

·
Registered
18 Posts
stability control

STABILITY CONTROL SHOULD HAVE BEEN STANDARD ON THE PILOT ESPECIALLY SINCE IT IS MARKETED AS A FAMILY-ORIENTED SUV.

last year this issue came up with the mdx. at first, honda said that because the mdx has such a wide track front and rear, it did not need stability contol. however, the mdx was criticized by consumer reports when it did not perform well in the emergency lane change part of their evaluation.
IMHO, this is another way for honda to set the mdx apart from the pilot. i believe honda will "improve" the pilot next model year by adding stability control as standard equipment.

does stability control work?... in my experience with a 1999 mb ml320 ( system called esp) it should be standard on all cars ( with an "off" feature). i whipped the ml320 in the snow and ice with the esp on and then off. the difference was clear. with esp the car significantly increases the control of the suv by reducing the braking distance and correcting the tracking.

honda is a great company for many reasons including its cutting- edge technology. for honda to hold back stability control in the pilot's first year of production is, IMHO, wrong.

·
Registered
335 Posts
yep I agree! I really would have liked to have had it. I think they knew they were going to offer it on the MDX and they needed something to differentiate the two products. As is the 2003 Pilot makes it very difficult to want to buy a 2002 MDX, the 2003 MDX has added some differences, stability control being one of them.

Joe

PS I wouldn't count on them adding much if anything to the 04 Pilot. Its something I've noticed with many different makes and models. More fixes than anything else, after the introductory model year, are likely. 05 Pilot will have those added goodies, then the 06 MDX will have to outdo the Pilot all over again....

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I think the Odyssey has traction control not stability control.

As for all the "It should have it" people.
Lets see it should have VSC + $500
Heated mirrors +$300
Sunroof +$1400

Hmmm, all of a sudden it is not a $30K vehicle anymore.

·
Registered
30 Posts
True, but vehicle stability control is an essential safety feature, unlike heated mirrors and a sunroof. The MDX was late to the party with it, which resulted in a ton of criticism, especially on the MDX forum, where there are excellent technical discussions on how much it adds to the safety of the vehicle. I don't care about the Pilot lacking the amenities of its competitors, but Honda shouldn't skimp on such an important safety feature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts