Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Pilot EX-L has about 235,000 miles. I did the second timing belt at 200k and it has fairly new tires. I jumped in to drive it for the first time in a while and the SRS light was on. My daughter tells me it has been on a while. Yuck. So I brought it to the dealership and they ran the codes and recommended replacing the front left and right impact sensors at a cost of $754 parts and labor. Once replaced they will know for sure if they need to replace the SRS control unit at a cost of $981 parts and labor. They won't know for sure on the control unit until the sensors are in. Do these prices sound right? We are in a smaller community with only one Honda dealership, so I would need to travel to go to a different dealer. Would it be worth it for me to potentially spend about 2000 on repairs for this car? The wife is lobbying to just try and sell it as-is at a reduced price for the needed work.

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,142 Posts
No way I’d pay them that kind of money. Do you have the actual SRS trouble code? Please post here.
If what they say is true, I’d inspect connections, unplug, clean if needed and reconnect. If the SRS module proves to be faulty after sensor cleaning or replacement, these can be purchased used, wiped of any trouble codes and sold for a much lower price. The module is bolted to the floor behind the center console. It’s plug and play.

FYI, Disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes before performing any work to the SRS system.

·
Registered
405 Posts
What were the DTC? I'd like to know how they concluded the L/R sensor state.

Did anyone reset the SRS module? This video might help. The Honda SRS result tool is nothing more than a looped pigtailed wire that says SRS on the wire with a white connector.

How-to | DIY | Honda Pilot | Airbag SRS Reset - YouTube

See is this the part you need

77930-S9V-P81 - Sensor Assembly, Front.Crash - 2005 Honda Pilot | Honda Factory Parts

They're OEM and $42 each, on back order. Start with connector corrosion elimination.

Testing Sensor Video

How to replace Honda Civic front SRS airbag sensor. Years 2000 to 2020 - YouTube

How to Test SRS airbag sensor status. OK or BAD sensor ? - YouTube

·
Registered
12,789 Posts
read/clear the codes with a good OBD2 scanner
The Foxwell NT630 Plus scanner does SRS. Get it just for that and it will have paid for itself a few times over. Plus (pun intended as a mnemonic device :)) you'll be glad to already have it when the next thing comes up, since it reads Honda-specific codes, does SAS, auto bleeds brakes, etc., etc.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My 05 driver's side airbag light came on last month. The dealer charge me $145 for diagnostic and $200 for repair for a total of $345. This dealer's policy will not allow me to get the diagnostic for free with repair which is new to me but my Pilot was away from our home dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I have the codes from the dealership.
41-11 No signal from the left front impact sensor
42-11 No signal from the right front impact sensor

There are some other codes for other systems. This is all I see for the SRS. I don't see anything that shows that they reset the SRS Control Unit.

Thank you all for your replies on this.

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,142 Posts
Okay, I have the codes from the dealership.
41-11 No signal from the left front impact sensor
42-11 No signal from the right front impact sensor

There are some other codes for other systems. This is all I see for the SRS. I don't see anything that shows that they reset the SRS Control Unit.

Thank you all for your replies on this.
It’d be important to have your own OBD II scanner with the ability to read SRS codes to be able to DIY.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
151 Posts
I’ve never worked on an airbag system. What precautions are needed to prevent triggering the bags by mistake?
First thing is never work in front of the airbag, always sit to the side so if it does go off it doesn't hit you! Unplug the battery. The airbags have yellow harnesses when you unplug one there's usually a yellow plug somewhere near it to plug up the harness while it's not in use to prevent a static shock from setting it off. If there's not a plug I would just put masking tape over the plug.

·
Registered
12,789 Posts
First thing is never work in front of the airbag, always sit to the side so if it does go off it doesn't hit you! Unplug the battery. The airbags have yellow harnesses when you unplug one there's usually a yellow plug somewhere near it to plug up the harness while it's not in use to prevent a static shock from setting it off. If there's not a plug I would just put masking tape over the plug.
Good life advice. +1

Cartoon Organism Gesture Art Fictional character

1 - 15 of 15 Posts