Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 5500 miles, the SRS light came on when my 90 lb. son sat on and strapped into the front passenger seat. The SRS light stayed on continually for the next few days whether or not anyone or anything was in that seat. We got it to the dealer; they reported nothing broken or disconnected. They suggested it was a transient fault. They reset it and it has remained off so far. No charge for this warranty repair. Will keep an eye on this and report if it returns.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The SRS light will come on if the system deems that a too small a passenger is sitting on the front seat. This is for safety reasons to protect from the potential injuries the passenger can sustain from the airbags being deployed in the event of an accident. I don't plan to have my children sit in the front until they reach close to mid teens, like 12 or 13.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are certainly correct about the hazards of putting youngsters in the front seat. That's why we had always kept him in the back until he was above the front seat height and weight recommendations. However, there are no normal circumstances that should cause the SRS light to remain on permanently.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Nope

RipRocK said:
The SRS light will come on if the system deems that a too small a passenger is sitting on the front seat. This is for safety reasons to protect from the potential injuries the passenger can sustain from the airbags being deployed in the event of an accident. I don't plan to have my children sit in the front until they reach close to mid teens, like 12 or 13.
The SRS light indicates a failure!
The "Side Airbag Off" light indicates a "too small person" leaning too far to the right"

·
Registered
7 Posts
My SRS light also turned on and won't turn off . However, there were no passengers at that time.

I don't have time to see the dealer yet.

Based on a search on this forum, the SRS light has been an intermitten problem for some.

Will report after seeing a dealer in several weeks.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
dchinny said:
My SRS light also turned on and won't turn off . However, there were no passengers at that time.

I don't have time to see the dealer yet.

Based on a search on this forum, the SRS light has been an intermitten problem for some.

Will report after seeing a dealer in several weeks.
Carefull, you probably do not have air-bags to protect you till it is fixed! :eek:

·
Registered
283 Posts
when I had my accessories put on (about a week after I got my Pilot). They SRS light came on. They plugged a hand held reader into the port under the dash. He scrolled through a couple things the light went out. I asked him what it was and he told me it had to do with connecting the power for the fog lights /or mirror I cant remember.

Either way point being it should only take like 10 minutes if you can pull up and they can check that thing out right there. At least then they could tell you what is wrong and how long it will take to get fixed.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Nope

N_Jay said:
The SRS light indicates a failure!
Correct. And one of the reasons the SRS system will decide not to deploy and have the light come on is because the front passenger is too small. This actually happened to me when I placed my briefcase and some heavy books in the front passenger seat. I later found out at the dealer that, the light will come on as per the reason I already said.
The "Side Airbag Off" light indicates a "too small person" leaning too far to the right"
Correct and it can be under other situation as well. When my niece put up her feet on the back of the front passenger seat, I noticed that the "Side Airbag Off" light came on even though she wasn't leaning at all on the door. Once she sat up, the light went off by itself, not like the SRS light where you have to get it reset by the dealer.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Nope

RipRocK said:

Correct. And one of the reasons the SRS system will decide not to deploy and have the light come on is because the front passenger is too small. This actually happened to me when I placed my briefcase and some heavy books in the front passenger seat. I later found out at the dealer that, the light will come on as per the reason I already said.

Sounds like another case of "Lying Dealer" syndrome.

The SRS light indicates a FAILURE, not the disabling of the airbags due to size, weight, or position of the occupants, or any other intended operation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SRS light and Side Airbag Cutoff light

There seems to be a lot of confusion between the SRS light and the Side Airbag Cutoff Light. These are two completely different items that alert you to completely different problems. I had an SRS light come on and stay on.
The SRS light means the Supplemental Restraint System has failed. Failed as in permanently broken/permanently inoperative/permanently not working. The SRS light can come on whether or not anyone is occupying the front passenger seat. Once on, the SRS light stays on forever until Honda fixes the problem.
The Side Airbag Cutoff Light means that a lightweight package or person is occupying the passenger seat, and that the side airbag has been temporarily disabled. The Side Airbag Cutoff Light can only come on temporarily when something or someone is occupying the front passenger seat. Once the passenger seat is vacated, the light goes out.
The SRS light alerts you to the fact that your airbag system has permanently failed (or at least, the SRS self test program thinks that the SRS system has failed). The Side Airbag Cutoff Light alerts you to the fact that either (a) you have a lightweight package in the passenger seat or (b) you are endangering the life of your lightweight front seat passenger.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Anytime you play with the wiring you run a risk of causing a problem like this.
If you follow the instructions and are carfull then the risk is very low, but if you do what most dealer do, "I don't need no stinkin instructions" then you can easily have a problem.

OK< maybe I am being a bit hard on them, Naaaa!:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Know I am taking a chance till I see the dealer.......

If it's a problem with only the test circuitry (and the dealer just needs to do a reset), my airbags/seatbelts will still work.

But.....

If it's a real problem, then my airbags or sealtbelts may not work properly.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Maybe

dchinny said:
I Know I am taking a chance till I see the dealer.......

If it's a problem with only the test circuitry (and the dealer just needs to do a reset), my airbags/seatbelts will still work.

But.....

If it's a real problem, then my airbags or sealtbelts may not work properly.
Even if is just a "test" error, if the SRS computer can not be SURE everything is OK, it most likely has disabled at least one airbag.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Anyone have any updates on the SRS problem?

Our SRS (not side airbag off) light has come on for the 3rd time. The first time the SRS light came on and stayed on my wife's purse was on the passenger seat. We took it in and the diagnostics came back with a code 15-3, they reset the system and all was well for a week. Once again, purse on seat, the SRS light came on again. The dealer called the Honda techline and they told them to replace the OPDS sensor in the back of the passenger seat.

They replaced the OPDS sensor today and while driving out of the dealer lot, on comes the SRS light again! I went back in and they are going to call the tech line (again) or get a Honda engineer in. They said that a 15-3 code means that the side airbags are disabled but the front airbags will still work.?.?.? Needless to say I'm not reassured.

I think they're barking up the wrong tree since the OPDS (Outboard Passenger Detection System) sounds like it relates to the Side Airbag Off light and not the SRS (which covers the whole system).

Is anyone familiar with a code 15-3 or have any ideas? :1zhelp:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Cheesehead said:
I think they're barking up the wrong tree since the OPDS (Outboard Passenger Detection System) sounds like it relates to the Side Airbag Off light and not the SRS (which covers the whole system).

Is anyone familiar with a code 15-3 or have any ideas? :1zhelp:
THE OPDS is the system the SRS uses to determine if the passenger side airbag should deploy.

The"Side Airbag OFF" light is a informational indicator, the SRS is a failure indicator.

I would assume that code 15-3 is the ERROR code recorded by the SRS computer when it has decided that the OPDS system in not fuctioning well enough to be trusted.

There are several parts in the OPDS system beside the sensor, so;
1) they replaced a bad sensor with another bad sensor :eek:
2) they replaced the sensor but some other part is bad :confused:
3) they replaced the sensor and another part became bad (Mechanic error, or coincidence) :3:
4) The error is not in the OPDS system, but rather in the SRS systems ability to determine the OPDS system is opperational. :1pat:
5) Gremlins :jester:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Pilot has 13,000 on it. The SRS light has now come on 3 times. The first time I was told that my aftermarket XM radio could be the cause. The second time I was told that putting anything on the passenger seat could set off the sensor. I questioned the service people about this.I find it absurd that you cannot place a purse or a bag of groceries on the front passenger seat without the SRS light going on and having to be reset by the dealer. Sure enough I was on my way to the gym and picked my gym bag off the floor onto the seat to get something out and the light came on again. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone find this be be absurd?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
tscivolette said:
My Pilot has 13,000 on it. The SRS light has now come on 3 times. The first time I was told that my aftermarket XM radio could be the cause. The second time I was told that putting anything on the passenger seat could set off the sensor. I questioned the service people about this.I find it absurd that you cannot place a purse or a bag of groceries on the front passenger seat without the SRS light going on and having to be reset by the dealer. Sure enough I was on my way to the gym and picked my gym bag off the floor onto the seat to get something out and the light came on again. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone find this be be absurd?
Yep, it happened to me when I placed a couple of bags on the passenger seat. The dealer told me that it's supposed to be safety feature, so, the system deems that the passenger's too light or small to be subjected to an airbag in case of an accident and that's why the SRS light goes on to indicate that it will not deploy.

I guess there are two sides to this. One would say, it is a sensible thing to do, just in case someone puts their small child in the front passenger seat, but another, like you and I, find it inconvinient and say it's not neccessary, especially when we have to go to the dealer to get it reset everytime it happens.

What would've been nice is if they had a system that recognized that once the light load the system detected is gone, the system goes back to normal functioning again (so, of course, then the SRS light would go off). This is how they have it with the sideair bags.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts