Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

SRS Light

914 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  vlsmitty1015
My 2006 Honda Pilot's SRS light is staying on when I drive the vehicle. If I put a case of water in the passenger seat or lock the seat belt and start the engine, the light goes off. Any ideas of what is going on are appreciated. The dealership wants to charge me $150 to diagnose.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,395 Posts
Personal thought here, considering this is telling you there is a fault in the Air bag system, I would take it to the dealer, or a trusted mechanic and have the issue taken care of. It will make for a bad day if you are driving along and one or all of the airbags deploy for no reason. It will make for an extremely bad day if you are in an accident and the air bag system does not deploy.

But that's just me.

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,004 Posts
Airbag will not deploy accidentally.
It’s likely a sensor that’s faulty since the case of water and seatbelt solves the problem.

· Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,395 Posts
Airbag will not deploy accidentally.
It’s likely a sensor that’s faulty since the case of water and seatbelt solves the problem.
While pretty much correct, there are cases of airbags deploying randomly without a crash. Your chances of winning the lottery are higher than a random deployment, but it does happen.

· Super Moderator
5,237 Posts
My 2006 Honda Pilot's SRS light is staying on when I drive the vehicle. If I put a case of water in the passenger seat or lock the seat belt and start the engine, the light goes off. Any ideas of what is going on are appreciated. The dealership wants to charge me $150 to diagnose.
IMO Honda dealer will be the place I take an SRS issue. They got the diagnostic tools to do the job right so the airbags perform as designed. If you DIY the power has to be off and focus on the sensor that recognizes passenger weight on that particular seat.

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,004 Posts
While pretty much correct, there are cases of airbags deploying randomly without a crash. Your chances of winning the lottery are higher than a random deployment, but it does happen.
A faulty seat sensor with an illuminated SRS light on the dash IMO is likely to cause no deployment.
Collision sensors or tinker with an airbag itself which would need an electrical impulse, could cause deployment.
Disconnect battery and wait at least 10 minutes before working on any SRS component or you may set a permanent code in the SRS module. Sensors can be replaced in this manner. Even collision sensors. I’ve done it with no issues.

Reactions: Lucky Jack

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A faulty seat sensor with an illuminated SRS light on the dash IMO is likely to cause no deployment.
Collision sensors or tinker with an airbag itself which would need an electrical impulse, could cause deployment.
Disconnect battery and wait at least 10 minutes before working on any SRS component or you may set a permanent code in the SRS module. Sensors can be replaced in this manner. Even collision sensors. I’ve done it with no issues.
Thank you for your reply. I will not work on myself. I will have to bite the bullet and take it to Honda dealership. I just spent $950 on power steering pump, line, and flush. ☹

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.