Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 pilot, SRS light has been on for awhile now and I finally got in to working on it. Was able to get the SRS code 9-3 by jumping terminals 4 and 9 on the OBD2 port and counting the flashes. This required me to remove the driver seat to access the seat belt buckle. After disassembly I found a spring was binding up interfering with the switch being activated. I couldn't fix the spring, I might be able to find a new spring but didn't wanna hold out on that. A new buckle cost north of $60. Too much in my opinion. I figured all the switch does is illuminate an icon on the dash to remind me to buckle my seatbelt and effects the SRS system. Well I don't need to be reminded to buckle up so I decided to bypass the switch. At the buckle connection I jumped the blue wire with red strip to the ground wire which closes the switch circuit. I then reset the SRS system and the light is staying off, I counting this one to be a win so far. Hope this can be helpful, and if anyone has experienced advice please post. It can be hard to find answers that don't require spending money.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,957 Posts
Honda has a lifetime replacement warranty for the seatbelt system. I was going to proceed going down that route when my wife’s driver side seat belt latch was acting up but the service advisor told me it would cost me an hour labor if they couldn’t reproduce the issue. Given that the issue was intermittent I decided to try a few things myself to avoid a potential $160 bill.

I read the code and it was seat belt switch stuck open or stuck closed. I can’t remember which one. After checking that the electrical connectors were mated and not corroded I ohmed out the signal to verify the resistance value matched the fault code, which it did.

Then I vacuumed out the driver side seatbelt latch as best I could. I followed that up with a blast of compressed air. I figure a lot of dirt and lint probably gets trapped down there. Then I poured a bit of isopropyl alcohol down into the slot as I pressed and released the seatbelt release button multiple times.

The problem hasn’t reappeared for about a year thus far.

Out of curiosity were you able to take the seatbelt latch apart? It looked like I’d have to drill through the plastic latch body to get to the bolts which hold the thing together. That was going to be my next step if Plan A failed.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
yup a 13 year old Pilot and 300 K later Honda fixed that issue for me for free also ..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(Out of curiosity were you able to take the seatbelt latch apart? It looked like I’d have to drill through the plastic latch body to get to the bolts which hold the thing together. That was going to be my next step if Plan A failed)
I did take the latch apart, it snaps together, I just pried it apart very carefully.
Hope to get over 300k+ miles on ours also. Just got to Lake Tahoe today, still pulls the hills, V-tec use it or loose it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts