Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I had a new amp installed under the passenger seat. When I picked it up, the installer told me the SRS (airbag) light was on; a normal condition resulting from the seat being removed. He said usually those lights will reset and go back off, but if it doesn't, the Honda dealer does some little thing to turn it off.

Well, it hasn't gone off by itself, so I guess I'm going to the dealer.

Does this sound right? Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
JBucey said:
Last week I had a new amp installed under the passenger seat. When I picked it up, the installer told me the SRS (airbag) light was on; a normal condition resulting from the seat being removed. He said usually those lights will reset and go back off, but if it doesn't, the Honda dealer does some little thing to turn it off.

Well, it hasn't gone off by itself, so I guess I'm going to the dealer.

Does this sound right? Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks.
Sounds like someone clipped the wrong wire?!?!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
920 Posts
I had the same issue when I had my leather replaced. Just have your dealer run a diagnostic and reset the light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had just brought my car into the dealership today because the same thing happened to me. The dealership told me the reason my SRS indicator light went off was because the amp under my front passenger seat was sending false signals to the sensors on the seat. That was the reason it went off. So basically they told me to remove the amp from under the seat. But I think the reason could also be that we took the seat out too, to install the amp underneathe the seat.
Does anyone know how to reset the SRS code, so we can do it on our own?

·
Registered
60 Posts
When someone unplugs the wires under the seat and turns the ignition key on, the computer generates an error code, which has to be reset by the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
kernsk said:
I had just brought my car into the dealership today because the same thing happened to me. The dealership told me the reason my SRS indicator light went off was because the amp under my front passenger seat was sending false signals to the sensors on the seat. That was the reason it went off. So basically they told me to remove the amp from under the seat. But I think the reason could also be that we took the seat out too, to install the amp underneathe the seat.
Does anyone know how to reset the SRS code, so we can do it on our own?
My guess is the audio guy is "SO GOOD AT IT" that he does not need to disconnect the battery.

Doing so will set an error code.
As it was said, it must be reset by a dealer.
Have him note the error code number in case it reoccures.
Let the audio guy know in case he dammaged anything.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I fall guilty to this. Removed seat to install an amp and now I have the SRS light. I also have to manually release the shifter out of park by inserting a screw driver into the top of the steering wheel cover.

We'll see what the dealer has to say.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had the same thing happen in my Pilot and my Acura TL. When the wires are unplugged, they do send an error signal. The dealer can turn it off with no problems. My Pilot dealer said no big deal since I did have the amp installed at a professional shop and was not doing it myself, which I normally do, hehe.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
dconder said:
I had the same thing happen in my Pilot and my Acura TL. When the wires are unplugged, they do send an error signal. The dealer can turn it off with no problems. My Pilot dealer said no big deal since I did have the amp installed at a professional shop and was not doing it myself, which I normally do, hehe.
Don't these guys know to disconnect the battery first??? :3:

Guess they will learn the first time they blow an air-bag!:4:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
N_Jay said:

Don't these guys know to disconnect the battery first??? :3:

Guess they will learn the first time they blow an air-bag!:4:
When I had seat heaters installed, the installer removed ans reinstalled both front seats without having the SRS light go on or disconnecting the battery. I specifically mentioned the problem to them, and they said "No problem." I still don't know how they were able to do it.:confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
jay said:
When I had seat heaters installed, the installer removed ans reinstalled both front seats without having the SRS light go on or disconnecting the battery. I specifically mentioned the problem to them, and they said "No problem." I still don't know how they were able to do it.:confused:
You sure they did not disconnect the battery.

The only other explanation is they were able to do the work without unplugging the seat sensors/airbags, or they have the tool to reset the light.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
N_Jay said:

The only other explanation is they were able to do the work without unplugging the seat sensors/airbags, or they have the tool to reset the light.
They didn't have the radio code, which they would have needed to get the radio orking again, or know how to reprogram my pre-sets, which were unchanged. :8:

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
N_Jay said:

Or...they used a device, like the one shown below, which connects a 9V battery to the lighter socket and maintains power to the radio and computer memories while the main battery is disconnected.

[http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=1383&keyword=25036]

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
xGS said:

Or...they used a device, like the one shown below, which connects a 9V battery to the lighter socket and maintains power to the radio and computer memories while the main battery is disconnected.

[http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=1383&keyword=25036]
Except on Hondas when ther lighter is disconnected when the car is off.

They could have always just pulled the fuse to the SRS controller.

Or maybe they know where in your car the radio code sticker is?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
N_Jay said:

They could have always just pulled the fuse to the SRS controller.

Or maybe they know where in your car the radio code sticker is?
There was no sticker to be found, and I never lost any presets, either. I do remember now, though, having the guy who wrote up the work order say they'd probably "put it on a charger so it doesn't dump any codes.":confused:

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
N_Jay said:

[snip]
Unless you leave the key in the ACCESSORY (I) position of the ignition switch.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
xGS said:

Unless you leave the key in the ACCESSORY (I) position of the ignition switch.
But in that position, I doubt that little 9V battery will cary all the load.

Heck, I doubt it will even hold in the relay that switches the outlet!:eek:

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
N_Jay said:

But in that position, I doubt that little 9V battery will cary all the load.

Heck, I doubt it will even hold in the relay that switches the outlet!:eek:
A Duracell Ultra 9V battery is rated to last between 2-3 hours with a 1-Watt load.
An Ultralife lithium 9V battery should last at least 4-5 times longer with the same load.

How much power are you assuming that the relay, plus the radio and computer memory circuits while in standby, will require?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
xGS said:

A Duracell Ultra 9V battery is rated to last between 2-3 hours with a 1-Watt load.
An Ultralife lithium 9V battery should last at least 4-5 times longer with the same load.

How much power are you assuming that the relay, plus the radio and computer memory circuits while in standby, will require?
Well that is only about 110 ma.

I would guess an automotive relay coil pulls between 50 and 200 ma.

Anyhow, 9V batteries just can't supply much current.

·
Registered
323 Posts
the dealership has all radio codes listed on their computer by the radio's serial number. You have to pull out the radio and read the number, then look up the code on the database. You can call the dealership and have them look up the code for you if you lose or forget your code or the shop acciedently resets it.

to reset the mil lights, check engine, ABS, S3 and S4, SRS you need to pull the ABS 2 fuse for ABS, ECU or PCM fuse and the back up fuse for all others for 10 seconds.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts