Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a used 03 pilot 3 days after purchase SRS light came on so I did the paper clip in the obd2 port and the code read 5-3 I says srs modular failure or somthing like that I then reset the code using the yellow cap plug in the left side by fuse box the light went away 20 mins after driving light came back on .. so I took it to mechanic to get it properly read with a real code reader he's telling me his reader is saying it's somthing to do with one of the front seats ?? He never said nothing about seat belts he specifically said his reader said it's in the seats but he dosent know Wich seat it is .. this isent a Honda dealer mechanic he's a local mechanic who has a professional company there just not a big company ... Anyway does this this all match up can I have a 5-3 code and it being somthing to do with the seats ? Maybe I red the code wrong but it was 5 short blinks then 3 fast blinks then solid light

·
Administrator
15,572 Posts
My Pilot seems to do the same these days....
5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 5-4, 5-5, 5-8, 6-1, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, 6-6, 6-7, 6-8, 7-1,7-2, 7-3,8-1, 8-2,8-3, 8-4,8-5,
8-6, 8-7 & 8-8 Internal Failure Of SRS Unit. Inspect Battery System Voltage, If Voltage Is Low, Repair Charging System Prior To Troubleshooting SRS System

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The mechanic is probably referring to the weight sensor in the seats.
But 5-3 is an internal failure of the SRS unit which can be a whole slew of things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's a whole bunch of things it could be ?

Why would his machine say seats but my light blink to 5-3 unless I'm a idiot and I'm not reading the blinks properly

Because like I said I got the light to reset for about 30 mins of driving then it came back but after trying to reset again it won't go off this time I need to figure this out ASAP I have kids and a wife and this is my only vehicle what are some things I can check

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Your mechanic said seats - not me. I am only clarifying what he probably meant.

The whole bunch of things can be anything from a dying alternator, dying battery, corroded ground connections and power cables, to just about anything in the whole system which includes a number of sensors and other components. SRS is generally not considered a DIY and even licensed shops often decline to work on it out of fear of being shot in the face with a malfunctioning airbag. Dealer is your best bet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok sorry wasent trying to sound rude or anything just hoping I fix the problem without dealer as they want like 150$ a hour

I started with the easy stuff wire brushing all connections they are a little corroded green crust on battery and cables Im charging the battery with a 12 v 2 amp charger right now and I noticed on one ground from engine to frame above rad that the cable is kind of starting to fray ...

Is there any recalled parts for the srs for this vehicle ? I have a 03 Honda pilot EX hard Rock edition .

My mechanic said they are more then willing to look at the vehicle to try and diagnose it but I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time with them .. is this issue fixable or am I looking at a dead end ?

And on a side note I'm very confused with this used vehicle as the vin number confirms the vehicle was made in Canada where I live Brampton Ontario but my speedo and kms is all American (mph) is that weird ? I've never seen that before I kinda got screwed buying this thing but it's my fault for being a noob so any help with SRS is highly appreciated guys thanks for the info already

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Made in Canada all right - the Pilots are assembled in Alliston, ON, Canada for the NA market. But it could have been imported from the US later or someone put a US cluster on it. You can pull Carfax and see the history.

You are on the right track. Start with the battery and alternator. Make sure that the battery connections are all good and tight. Clean the terminals and put on them a light coat of Vaseline or better a silicone dielectric grease by SuperLube. Measure the voltage on the battery when turned off (should be 12.3V or near that) and with the engine running (should be 14.1-14.3V). How old are your battery and alternator, do you know?

Make sure that the serpentine belt does not slip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought the pilot a week ago lol .. I'm assuming the guy wiped the srs code some how long enough to pass safety but that's just me assuming .. I bought it certified .. or mabye dirty certified no way to tell for sure ...

Battery and altinator both read good on and off engine off batt 12.7 running 14.8

Battery looks to be old enough dosent look new by any means altinator no clue looks old aswell

How will I know if belt is slipping belt also looks old

I've never ever had a issue like this before like I said mechanic hooked up a big fancy obd touch screen scanner and said that it's telling him that the fault is in pass or driver seats but when I read the blinks doing the 4-9 jump on the obd port I read 5-3 Wich says modual failure I was able to get the srs code to vanish for a a total of 20-30 minutes if driving came back tried to reset again and now it won't go away ... That's why I'm so confused cuz why would his scanner say seats and the srs blink towards total failure lol my luck I guess any more Info tips or tricks will be appreciated and I'm willing to give any info and fallow any instruction I don't feel safe with my family in this SUV it's our only vehicle and I'm not making much money right now

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Certification warranty is 39 or 60 days, can't remember which. Are you past that?
No one on this forum can diagnose an SRS issue remotely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I just bought the vehicle it was certified on the 12 of August and lasts 36 days but what do you mean warranty ?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Never mind: the 36 days is how long the cert is valid. It is not a warranty unless they worked on the SRS as part of the safety - then it is 90 days warranty like on any work. If they did not call SRS in the safety work list, you are SOL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea because the more I think about it I'm pretty sure the vehicle was dirty certified in Toronto.. it's illigal to pass a vehicle with air bag light in Ontario .. i live in Sudbury Ontario...

I dident know what SRS ment never owned a Honda or any other vehicle that uses SRS light I've always just seen a stick figure in a seat with a airbag in its face lol ... I thought SRS had so thing to do with a security system

Anyways what am I looking at worst case scenario ? Is this SRS problem easy for dealers to fix ? Or is it just a bunch of parts being thrown at it I really like this pilot nice little vehicle but not safe since air bags won't deploy with the SRS light on .. will my side air bags still work ?

I guess what I'm asking is is the problem 100% identifyable with computers and scanners and fixable or is it one of those issues where a mechanic will be left scratching their heads ..?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I guess what I'm asking is is the problem 100% identifyable with computers and scanners and fixable or is it one of those issues where a mechanic will be left scratching their heads
We do not know. SRS is not commonly serviceable by DIY driveway mechanics. The commonly available scanners may not even scan the SRS codes. Mine does not. Your best bet is the dealer. At least pay them to diagnose the problem and go from there. If it is a seat, then car-part.com has seats with warranty which you can get from the junk yards around ON.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,024 Posts
You might try to find a shop which specializes in Honda/Acura. They will likely have a code reader which deciphers Honda codes . . . verify when you make an appointment. Otherwise the Foxwell NT520 is the scanner I purchased to read Honda codes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok guys I think I made a huge mistake let me bother you one last time at first I read the code 5 and 3 I ignored the fact there was 4 really fast flashes in the begging but now I seen a diagram that reads 4 fast flashes = 10 so I did the math bare with me here lol

(4 fast flashes) =10 (5 slow flashes) (3 slow flashes) then stops

So 10+5+3 is 15-3 Wich = out to be a faulty odps sensor does this all make sense now since the tech said his scanner is telling him it's I'm one of the seats ? I'm posting a link here to a YouTube video I made for you guys to read the code just to be 100% sure I'm not making another mistake
And I'm posting a picture of the diagram I found telling me to properly read the flashes thanks for any help in advance

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
I think I'm going to go epileptic from watching it over and over, but that looks like 3 quick flashes in the beginning, not 4. I could be mistaken, though, because after rewatching it umpteen times I'm seeing flashes everywhere, lol.?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
??? right ?

It's deffinetly 4 flashes I re watched it in slow motion and also had my wife watch it to she also says 4

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
What do you want from the forum members?
If you are confident that this is the passenger seat weight sensor, then hit the junk yards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ouch ok sorry for bothering everyone

Was just seeing if some who knows more about the flashes then info can confirm they read out to be 15-3 hint taken though will go to another forum sorry

1 - 20 of 27 Posts