Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2019 Elite back on August 8th. I have several modifications planned and will document them all here. Purchased the towing package when I bought it which includes the receiver, connection for lights and the transmission cooler.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
22" Wheels Installed

Installed new wheels. These are 22" replicas of the Land Rover Evoque wheels. I picked these up on eBay for $750. I'm very happy with the stance and the fit. There is zero rubbing.

Specs:
Wheel Size 22 x 9.5
Offset 49mm
Tires 275 - 40 - 22

Centric rings are required since the hubs on this wheel are larger than Honda hubs. I used 72.56mm OD to 64.1mm which were $10 on amazon. I had to fabricate the center caps using 2 sets of caps since Land Rover caps are much smaller.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Replaced floor mats

The dealer had added the all-weather mats but they lack protection around the sides of the mat. These 3D MAXpider mats have high sidewalls similar to the Weather Tech mats, but in a more attractive style, imho. They are about $200 on amazon. https://amzn.to/2x4wr78

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Added Self Driving

Since 2016 the Pilot has had Honda Sensing as an option which includes Active Cruise Control and Lane Keeping Assist System (ACC & LKAS). This system is not terrible but requires the driver to interact with the steering wheel every 15 seconds to confirm that they're actually paying attention.

I replaced this system with OpenPilot by adding the EON from Comma.ai. This system runs on a cell phone mounted to your windshield and uses the camera and the OEM radar to monitor the road. It does a better job at recognizing the lines on the road and will give you an LKAS-like experience on much more roads vs the OEM system. This system also removes the requirement of interacting with the wheel every 15 seconds. It's able to do this because it has real-time driver monitoring so it can tell if you're paying attention.

It's a level 2 autopilot, the same as what's offered on the Tesla. If you want to know more visit https://openpilot.app or watch my video...

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
sr33jan --- Nice setup!! The wheels really set off your Pilot! Definitely like the 3D MAXpider floor-mats.

Oh...and level 2 auto pilot....VERY cool!!:29:

biz
:6:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Black Grill

Today I replaced the original chrome grill with the black accessory grill. This is an official Honda accessory. I really like the silver carbon-fiber style texture on the garnish, ties it in really well.

Here are the part numbers and the price I paid from my local dealer. You can get it cheaper from College Hills Honda.

Grill: 08F21-TG7-100 ($198.75)
Grill Garnish: 77150-TG7-A60 ($136.39)

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice mods, thanks for sharing and keep us updated on any other new ones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sr33jan --- Nice setup!! The wheels really set off your Pilot! Definitely like the 3D MAXpider floor-mats.

Oh...and level 2 auto pilot....VERY cool!!:29:

biz
:6:
Thanks for reading! The 3D MAXpider mats have an almost carbon-fiber style pattern to them. The pictures don't really show it but I really like them. They're a perfect fit and use the factory mat clamps as well. Highly recommended and I've been putting WeatherTech in my cars for years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
3D maxspiders are awesome. I have them on my 2014 mazda and they are still looks good after years of rough use. ( I have a toddler). I didn't have to think twice before buying them for my 2019 honda. Perfect fit, same good quality.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Honda Pilot Lowering Kit

I really want to drop my Pilot about 1" to give it the stance I want. If you've done any research in this area you'll quickly learn that nobody makes lowering kits for the Pilot. There are no lowering springs, nothing. That said, after spending quite a bit of time inspecting the actual components of the 2019 Pilot and comparing them to other Honda / Acura models I learned that the suspension is actually the same as what comes on the Acura MDX. And a few companies make coilover kits for the MDX. So I ordered a set from Megan Racing. If you're interested the model number is MR-CDK-AMD14-EZII and they're $749 on eBay.

I started by measuring from the ground to the top center of the fender well at 33.125" on all four corners (note that I do not have stock wheels & tires so this may be slightly different for you). I then got out the coilovers, set the spring preload at zero and went to work - starting on the rear first. They fit perfectly using the top cap from the OEM strut, however, the drop was just too much for my taste, not to mention that camber. After installing these on the rear on both sides that initial measurement cut by 2.5" down to 31" and this was with the coilovers fully extended with 30mm of the coilover threaded into the lower half, which is the maximum recommended extension.

I ended up taking them back off and re-installing the OEM strut for now but I have an idea how to make this work - stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
The dealer had added the all-weather mats but they lack protection around the sides of the mat. These 3D MAXpider mats have high sidewalls similar to the Weather Tech mats, but in a more attractive style, imho. They are about $200 on amazon. https://amzn.to/2x4wr78
I see mixed messages on Amazon on if these fit second row buckets in the Elite. Can you confirm? Also, I am torn between these and the Weathertech. What made you go with these vs WT? The look only, or ?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see mixed messages on Amazon on if these fit second row buckets in the Elite. Can you confirm? Also, I am torn between these and the Weathertech. What made you go with these vs WT? The look only, or ?

Thanks!!
Yes, they work with the bucket seats in the second row. I have used WeatherTech for years with several other vehicles - I wanted to try something else and I think the 3D MAXpider mats look a little more refined while offering the same benefits. YMMV

·
Registered
230 Posts
I really want to drop my Pilot about 1" to give it the stance I want. If you've done any research in this area you'll quickly learn that nobody makes lowering kits for the Pilot. There are no lowering springs, nothing. That said, after spending quite a bit of time inspecting the actual components of the 2019 Pilot and comparing them to other Honda / Acura models I learned that the suspension is actually the same as what comes on the Acura MDX. And a few companies make coilover kits for the MDX. So I ordered a set from Megan Racing. If you're interested the model number is MR-CDK-AMD14-EZII and they're $749 on eBay.

I started by measuring from the ground to the top center of the fender well at 33.125" on all four corners (note that I do not have stock wheels & tires so this may be slightly different for you). I then got out the coilovers, set the spring preload at zero and went to work - starting on the rear first. They fit perfectly using the top cap from the OEM strut, however, the drop was just too much for my taste, not to mention that camber. After installing these on the rear on both sides that initial measurement cut by 2.5" down to 31" and this was with the coilovers fully extended with 30mm of the coilover threaded into the lower half, which is the maximum recommended extension.

I ended up taking them back off and re-installing the OEM strut for now but I have an idea how to make this work - stay tuned.
The rear drop looks great and if you continued with thr front, it will look awesome imo.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The rear drop looks great and if you continued with thr front, it will look awesome imo.
...was thinking the same thing. :12:

Obviously, the 22" wheels make lowering 2" tough. It's been recommended that you always do the suspension components first, then fit tires/wheels to it.

Still...really enjoying the build project!!

biz
:29:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
sr33jan's 2019 Elite Build - 22" wheels & self-driving

I really wish honda would have made it easy to check a box and black out all the chrome.

It can be done. I have zero chrome. Search the 3rd gen forum for blackout or try here -

Blacked Out my 2016 - No Chrome left!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=90851&share_tid=82722&url=https://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82722&share_type=t

I’m waiting for Sr33jan to blackout the belt line and window frames. Looks great so far and I highly recommend 3m vinyl. Been over 3 years and still on strong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sr33jan, how are you liking the Open Pilot? Been thinking about getting it myself. Did you build the Comma Pedal to work with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great thread! I recently purchased a '19 Touring.
@sr33jan thank you for your video i found it on you tube before this thread, also I love your wheels and other other upgrades.

I was also curious about CJM1010's question, did you include the Comma pedal to deal with slower speeds?

I am a Software Engineer, that has been dying to play around with OpenPilot for a long time, but i never had a car that was compatible. A long time ago I was a frequent poster on an old forum called MP3Car.com and enjoyed ripping apart my car to install hardware to test at the limits of tech of the time (carputers) for nav, music and internet. Most importantly for me thought was the opportunity to get involved in the software and community. Comma.ai is similar in many ways, I am really considering checking it out.

Now that a few months have gone by, what are your thoughts on OpenPilot?

Best of luck with your build, keep the updates coming!
-Brian

1 - 20 of 30 Posts