Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a short drive this evening, began to notice a squeaking/scrunchy noise emanating from the rear. By standing on the rear driver's side passenger door opening, I am able to use my weight to rock the vehicle and easily duplicate the scrunchy squeak in the rear tire well. Bummer. This came out of nowhere, other than Grandma and Grandpa happened to have been joining us for dinner, so the Pilot had a passenger complement of four adults and two kids.

The vehicle has 2720 miles, and the dealer doesn't want to do the first oil change before 7500 miles.

Seems to me that either the shock needs replacing or something else needs some greasing.

Should I wait it out or take it in? :confused:

·
Registered
919 Posts
I would ask your dealer's service manager. If it sounds to him like the root of the problem could be something that would wear with continued driving, I'm sure he will want you to bring it in. If it's just an annoying, but livable sound, I would just wait until you need to bring it in anyway.

Chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
xyzzy said:
I would ask your dealer's service manager. If it sounds to him like the root of the problem could be something that would wear with continued driving, I'm sure he will want you to bring it in. If it's just an annoying, but livable sound, I would just wait until you need to bring it in anyway.

Chris
Good advice, so I went over this morning and had the dealer listen to the creaking sound and look at the rear suspension. For now, we have greased the rear "bushings" and that appears to have corrected the problem. We determined to watch it. Tech said something about putting "rear axle ears" on it next time I'm there on routine service to help further diagnose the problem if it has not gone away.

For now, seems copacetic.

BTW, I also found out that there is no permanent fix yet for the scrunchy sound coming from the drivers side door seal. I have managed to get that one under some control by reseating the door seal where it is affixed to the side view mirror every time the noise returns. The dealer suggested we wait for a redesign of the seal rather than just ordering a new one now.

Again, thanks for good advice.:cool:

·
Registered
152 Posts
artjohn said:

The vehicle has 2720 miles, and the dealer doesn't want to do the first oil change before 7500 miles.

Why does he WANT you to wait till 7500? Most people will more than likely change it around 5000...just curious-

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Sqeaky Drivers Side Rear Shock

gupt0014 said:

Why does he WANT you to wait till 7500? Most people will more than likely change it around 5000...just curious-
Dealer claims there are special factory additives in the oil meant for conditioning of the engine. He says Honda won't disclose to them or the public what the additives are, but that they strongly advise for first change only to wait until 7,500. Thereafter, 3750 or every three months, given our tough city driving habits.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know this topic has been discussed to death...

But franky, these dealers don't really know any more than you or I. Ask ten dealers and you'll get twelve different responses. Dig? I personally think asking a petro-based oil to go 7500 miles is a lot, especially the first time around. I think I'll switch to Mobil1 5w30 at 5000.

What is this nonsense about Honda not telling the dealers what "additives" are used??? Come on...give me a break. Sounds like dealer BS to me. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gupt0014 said:
I know this topic has been discussed to death...

But franky, these dealers don't really know any more than you or I. Ask ten dealers and you'll get twelve different responses. Dig? I personally think asking a petro-based oil to go 7500 miles is a lot, especially the first time around. I think I'll switch to Mobil1 5w30 at 5000.

What is this nonsense about Honda not telling the dealers what "additives" are used??? Come on...give me a break. Sounds like dealer BS to me. Good luck!!!

I agree with you, and it all sounds like a little hocus pocus to me to. I can't imagine any better oil than Mobil 1, which can be purchased over the counter and I understand is used in many new cars as the first fill oil anyway.

Having said that, however, I should say that the dealer went on about the "factory fill oil" that Honda uses, which he theorized may be a synthethic product (like Mobil 1), but includes additives specially designed for, among other things, the rubber seals throughout the engine, and the final mixture of Honda's Factory Fill Oil cannot purchased by the public.

I think this same information (about not changing Honda's Factory Fill oil until after 7,500 miles) was repeated in the March 31 2002 Chicago Tribune. But I cannot bring up the article on line.

Best to ya

·
Registered
30 Posts
Found a fix for the suspension scrunch!

I have the rear suspension scrunch, driver side, too. After the dealer "failed to duplicate the problem" I decided to pull the rear wheel off and look around. What i found was that the lower end of the shock absorber is not attached (by design) to the lower A-arm. Instead, it has a rubber bushing, perhaps 4" in diameter, that strikes a pan in the A-arm. I'm guessing it's to allow more suspension travel. Anyway, with the rear suspension raised on a jack there is a healthy gap between pan and bushing. I dipped a q-tip in motor oil and swabbed a fine coat of oil on the pan. The suspension scrunch went away!

Now that I know what the cause is, I think I'll look for a better lubricant, one that may not attract as much dirt and grime and hasten undo wear. I was thinking of a teflon or silicon spray or perhaps just a slippery coating like Rain-X. Thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts